1 pair of monitors shared between 2 audio interfaces

mofat

Is there a switch to buy or just get a pair of xlr y cable? I have a mac and a pc with their own interfaces.

Just an A/B switch would work. Not sure if there could be an issue with a y cable between the interfaces. I personally wouldn't attempt it.

I use a Mackie Big Knob that allows three separate stereo line level inputs switchable to 6 separate stereo outputs.

I am sure Dave (ecc83) will be around to show you how to build a switch box. :)

Is that Mackie Big Knob an audio interface or just a switch box? Basically my setup is that my Mac pro laptop and Pc both share computer monitors as well. I'm either gaming on the pc or doing cover songs on the Mac.
Oh wait...I have a presonus HP60. Could this be used u think?

Last edited:
Is that Mackie Big Knob an audio interface or just a switch box? Basically my setup is that my Mac pro laptop and Pc both share computer monitors as well. I'm either gaming on the pc or doing cover songs on the Mac.
Oh wait...I have a presonus HP60. Could this be used u think?

Just a switch box. Yeah, actually you could use the HP60 for this. :)

Problem solved! Well, you will need a few cables...

Trouble with the cheap solution is that it is unbalanced and I assume the monitors are balanced input?
Of course, un-balancing often does not matter for short runs in a domestic situation, but it might!

Ideally you need a 3 pole double throw switch to changeover two cores plus screen (always bank on having to switch the screen) . I found a 4 pole c/over from Maplins a few years ago, that would allow some pretty LEDs!

I in fact had this problem few some years. I had 2 PCs each housing a 2496 card. My solution was a small mixer with multiple balanced inputs. (I can hear the sabres rattling as peeps gear up to condemn me for "polluting the monitor chain"! But in reality a couple of extra op amps in the path is going to do Jack S IMHO.)

And yes, can do a diag' if you want.

Dave.

Coleman Audio (Coleman Audio LS3 Line Selector) makes something that works for this, but it's $120.

On the cheap you could do a balanced patchbay and just make sure your monitors are muted or switched off when you go between cards.

Patchbay is a good idea...do i just patch it to the other when I want to use a specific interface or just use the split signal from half normaled setting

It is usually safe to SPLIT a signal via a Y-cable or other straight-wire means like a patchbay mult.

It is almost never safe to MIX two signals via those straight-wire connections. It might not hurt anybody, but it usually won't sound very good.

I'm not sure I'd want to be jacking in and out of the inputs connected directly to my speakers without any way of protecting against pops, but if you're using patchbay, you should make sure that only one of the interfaces is connected to the speakers at any one time.

I use a headphone amplifier to select between my two computers and route them to a couple different sets of speakers as well as headphones. It works really well (well, the switches are flakey, but...) even though it's not balanced between the HA and the PA.

Coleman Audio (Coleman Audio LS3 Line Selector) makes something that works for this, but it's $120.
That's what I have. Is it perfect, no. 'Crackles sometimes and I have to 'exorcise' the switch. But for the most part the 'form factor is nice and it sits there and does the job.

Back