What Video Editing Software do you use?

WarDrums

Hey all! Not sure if this is the right place but ...
As the title explains, Im looking for video editing software suggestions. I record drum covers and after I mix the audio, I edit the video to match. Windows Movie Maker worked perfectly for me because it was simple cut and paste work. I didnt need any of the fancy effects. But a couple months ago, after I updated my graphics driver, Windows Movie Maker just shows a black screen in the preview box. I cant roll back the drivers because I regularly play Battlefield. I ve tried a couple of other programs like Pinnacle, (I have an old version of it) but it doesnt output the final video in 1080p, something that I really need considering the camera records hd video. So Im kind of stuck here.
Im looking for something not overly complicated, just something with a fairly simple learning curve that can output hd video. (so no $600 software haha) The cheaper the better but if its 20 bucks or so, Ill definitely take a look at it. One last thing that I wud need is video in video. Something where I can have two clips playing next to each other in the same video.
What are your suggestions / what do you use?
Thanks in adavance

Sony Vegas Studio (<$40)

I've done everything from music videos to airshows to commercials in it.

Simple. Easy. No-brainer.

That's so crazy. I've been using Windows Movie Maker and it's horrible (only because it crashes constantly). I just added Sony Vegas Studio to my Amazon wish list after reviewing a ton of other programs.

Questions for you, Tim: how are the effects? Are you able to time, say, fade-ins and fade-outs? Can you reverse clips? Those are my biggest concerns at the moment.

Vegas comes with a good selection of effects including transitions. You can adjust the timing of fade ins and outs. You can reverse clips (i.e. make them play backwards).

Questions for you, Tim: how are the effects? Are you able to time, say, fade-ins and fade-outs? Can you reverse clips? Those are my biggest concerns at the moment.

Yes, good stuff. Easy to make fades do anything you want and you can reverse clips. Nice selection of transitions.

Another really nice thing is you can use all your audio VSTs in the program too....

All the covid zoom edited videos showed how important being able to manage split audio is to keep sync. The more expensive products do so much more than just video and studio combined editing. Premiere works for me. Always has.

Reaper DAW was originally built to work like Vegas but for audio. Now it also has video, and works quite well. For relatively simple, straightforward editing, it’s pretty easy to work with. It‘s a little limited as far as included effects go, but we can code our own effects, and there are a few different user-built things out there.

Back