Video using crude Green screen

Marndin

Hi there

Here is a music video I made in 2016 for a song that was on my first commercially released solo album. A bit controversial but I hope you like it.

To make the video I painted a small wall Green, lit it up with some halogen worklights from Screwfix (in the UK) and then used a picture of a stage as the 1st layer, four videos of me performing the song in various clothing and a microphone as the last layer so that it is in front of the singers.

Very quick and simple to do, and quite effective IMHO. I hope that this is helpful to someone. BTW the software I used was Premier Pro. You can do the same in Final cut as well.

The link is /watch?v=plI5V9z3qqQ Simply place this at the right point on a YouTube address.

Please comment. I would love to have some feedback.

Thank you.

Martin

I liked the harmonies and the blend of the track. Not sure about black and white, and the colour background - maybe black and white image of the moon rather than the cartoon tabs? So like the audio, video is ok - but as the four of you are at varying distances, the front one needs a little scaling up, and the back ones then progressively smaller by a tad to make it look a bit more 3D, but as a fun video I like it.

I liked the harmonies and the blend of the track. Not sure about black and white, and the colour background - maybe black and white image of the moon rather than the cartoon tabs? So like the audio, video is ok - but as the four of you are at varying distances, the front one needs a little scaling up, and the back ones then progressively smaller by a tad to make it look a bit more 3D, but as a fun video I like it.

I agree with you. Many thanks for the comment.

but as the four of you are at varying distances, the front one needs a little scaling up, and the back ones then progressively smaller by a tad to make it look a bit more 3D, but as a fun video I like it.

Maybe the back left is just meant to represent a much larger version of himself! :D

This was good work. I've tried to dabble with chroma key a little, but my camera, lighting, and background color are all garbage.

All around very neat. Good job.

I would just agree with Rob, the B&W against the deep red is strange. Were you wearing green and had to remove it so you wouldn't half disappear?

No, I made a decision to use coloured curtains and B&W singers (Maybe an error of judgement?) Many thanks for the comment :-)

I started dabbling in green screen last year. I bought a green screen cloth which is very good, think it was not much more than a tenner and you can roll it up when you're not using it. Also invested in some Chinese made photographic lighting, this made a lot of difference to the quality achieved as the light spectrum is tuned for photographic work. Two lights with stands and reflection umbrellas was around £25 on ebay, so not a big layout, well worth it. A search on ebay will bring up a lot of results.

Liked the video, the Twin Peaks curtains always do it for me! My only comment on how to improve would be to invest in some better lighting, as the artists say - My medium is light :-) - it makes a big difference and if they are positioned correctly makes chroma keying a bit easier to achieve.

I invested in a 3rd light recently which has improved my results.

Great fun isn't it. I'll put up some of my tinkerings once I can post links on the forum.

Back