Video for a metal song I posted in the mp3 clinic some months back

Mistral

RyosaMusic

And here's the relevant thread for the audio (only the final mix remains up): https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mp3-mixing-clinic/metalheads-comment-mix-321294

I am going to publish videos for most, if not all of my songs containing art, lyrics as animated text, and the music for a complete experience. The "art" portion can be anything, such as something I've painted or it could involve live action footage. This one is all real footage and I got a friend to act for 40% of it plus 10% shots of me, and the other 50% is archival war footage. The quality on that is pretty subpar but I feel it works, and was necessary to tie the vid together properly.

Your feedback appreciated.

Good job on the video. Keeps the viewer engaged all the way through and that's what you want. I know you probably won't go back and reshoot video, but I thought the shots of you singing might fit the story better if they were lighted with a single hard light from the side. But like you said, it's only 10% of the video.

I wasn't crazy about the lyrics flashing up on the screen. You don't see that in pro videos and you have enough going on that it became a distraction. But hey, that is just my lame-ass opinion. :D

Good job.

Thanks. :)

My philosophy is not to try to replicate what every band is doing in terms of what's classified a pro music vid, though this one came out similar in many respects - I thought it would make a good starting point and get attention. You might be right that there's a lot going on, but then, if a fan appreciates it they'll probably watch it several times to absorb everything.

Lyrics are important to me and I feel that we now have the tech to take things further and present things in a different way. If people are buying cd's less, they're not going to read the lyrics there. Straight in the video seems a good place to me especially since fans often end up making ugly youtube vids that do the same later. I may as well control how it's done.

I agree with Chili on the lyrics, actually. If you must have the lyrics on the screen, I'd recommend a more-straightforward subtitle style.

It kind of looks like you tried to combine a regular music video and one of those ones where they just animate the text and have it flying around the screen. I don't think it's a great juxtaposition.

Otherwise, it's a pretty solid video.

Back