Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Video is expensive, and other learnings...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    I shoot basic HD and render to 720p because it looks fine on phones and even upconverts Ok on our old TV. Nor am I trying to get popular.

Final Cut Pro X is actually fine. It wasn't free, though, but since I was already dablling in iMovie it seemed like an easier, if a little spendy, next step.
    Sounds like you know what you're doin'.

You can do video inside Reaper too. Not full editing, but enough to sync your audio mix. And there's Vordio to get projects to/from Reaper to FC Pro:

Currently supported are XML exports from Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, Editshare Lightworks, Final Cut Pro 6 & 7. Also supported are AES31 and OpenTL formats for use with Nuendo & StudioOne DAWs & Tascam hard disk recorders.
    Vordio | Audio post production workflow reimagined. Building tools for faster sound editing.

But maybe you already know about it?

[/QUOTE]The storage problem is largely due to capturing multiple cameras. 3 cameras for 3 hours and you've got 100GB more or less. But then, when you start to edit, FCPX starts creating optimized versions of your edits so you can continue to see what you are doing. This is because, like DAWs, edits are non-destructive, but unlike audio, your average computer doesn't have the horsepower to apply those edits and FX like layered videos, titles, et al with cross-fades, on the fly to HD video so you can actually see what you've done and continue to edit. So, intermediate renderings and all kinds of other files are generated. This can be disabled, of course, and manually cleaned up after each project is "done" but it slows things down quite a bit, and if you want to go back and re-edit, you'll either work slowly or wait while those files are re-generated. In short, it's better to have lots of available storage. ("On FedEx vehicle for delivery" is what the tracking # says ). So, that problem is solved. My other problems I'll just chip away at for a while and see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

I know the problem

Used to build RAID setups in SCSI days. Nowadays, that's off the shelf commodity hardware.

I always do short runs. Makes storage a lot more efficient. Finding your way in the resulting files requires some administration, tho...
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Well, I was posting specifically about what I was doing, which is trying to add video to recordings of [live] music performances. Not "music video" for MTV (does that still exist?) with artsy extra things, but more than a static single camera (trés bad I've been advised) or jittery hand-held phone video.

Good software makes it easier but just alike audio, you have to start with a good performance. And, also like audio, mistakes made with recording or subsequent processing can make it worse instead of better. And, it's only marginally similar in terms of workflow IMO, so you're going to be starting over.

Repeating myself, but I'm not trying to get YT views or subscribers. I was just whining about the effort and work to get home and find out there's even more work and money waiting, and perhaps mistakes or problems happened in the video that means I can't use a good chunk of the raw material. But, I've learned (now) not to rely on auto-focus, though whether I can really get a good manual focus will be seen with the next time I set up and try that.

Here's a couple really quick edits from last Sunday. The first is 2 cameras because the middle camera went out of focus and I didn't know that until the end of the night, and one angle isn't great because the bass player is largely out of frame. (A bass player friend tells me they learn to do that early in their career ). And lighting is uneven, especially obvious in the 2nd video, though I could have spent a little bit more time trying to balance the shots on that one - at least the middle camera was still working!

The other big challenge with live video is finding camera placements that have decent angles and that also aren't frequently blocked by people. Usually that means they're up high and against a wall if you can find a high shelf or perhaps mounted elkhead with just the right antler structure (true case). You just never know. In this small room, the high locations are almost too high, but everything else is almost always blocked. I need a fleet of stable, silent, hovering drones that can stay aloft with a camera for a couple hours .

Ha! Fake boobies!

Looks good man. Sorry I am not one to give video advice. Others do that stuff for projects I work on.

Looks like you are doing quite well here.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    I am very intrigued with multi cam recording and hope to get into it sometime this year and I plan on doing it with iphones and ipads I already have....I have an old 3gs , an Ipad 2 and a 6s plus the wife has a 5 and 6 ...

I will most likely use Recolive and Reaper for the audio... Below are two videos of guys demoing Recolive and explaining how it works. Not a ton of money expended and definitely adequate for what I hope to produce.

We'll see how it works out...just picked up a used 27" 2011 imac yesterday and am getting pretty excited about laying some stuff down.

Thanks

Thanks
    @TAE , that Motrr Galileo gadget looks really cool, but it seems like it's no longer in production? Any current options you've been looking at?

Having a wireless view of what the cameras are doing is kind of critical I've realized, but unfortunately only one of my Sony cameras has any kind of wireless connectivity, and it doesn't work for video, just stills. (Old hardware problem - you might have that with a 3GS IME.)

Of course, if I discount the [sunk] cost of the camcorder and one camera and lenses I already had simply for pre-audio family photo stuff, the investment is significantly less (one camera body, extra SD cards and batteries, and software), but it's obvious that there's lots of opportunity to spend a lot more as this technology is going to keep moving. And if I really wanted to produce full HD or, heaven forbid, 4G, there's goes ability to use my 6 year old Mac Mini and I under-budgeted for the new RAID that's currently getting data copied to!
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Too Bad about the Galileo

But wait! There's more! Sadly it looks like these are all gofundme vaporware...but I suppose being as the Galileo actually came to fruition...and then failed in the not too distant future companies like asus or belkin will probably offer something...I hope... the robotics is pretty damn cool

Gotta say these iphone accessories are making iphones a pretty good choice for semi-pro videography

Thanks
    On a phone, so can't properly quote a comment. Anyhow, you may want to consider recording in 1080/30, instead of 720. Doing so will allow you to "zoom" and correct framing and etc. before rendering the final output to 720.

Most products will allow you to throw 3 versions of the shot together and sync them via their audio, with a simple click.
    EDIT: I mean 3 consumer cameras shooting, then take out SD card and put them into program.

I would then record the audio separately, (EDIT: at same time) using good equipment (not the cameras) and use your favorite DAW to make it right, then push it back to the video program and sync. Then you have 3 views to choose from and swap between them within the song as you wish, with same audio.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BxD View Post
    On a phone, so can't properly quote a comment. Anyhow, you may want to consider recording in 1080/30, instead of 720. Doing so will allow you to "zoom" and correct framing and etc. before rendering the final output to 720.

Most products will allow you to throw 3 versions of the shot together and sync them via their audio, with a simple click.
    EDIT: I mean 3 consumer cameras shooting, then take out SD card and put them into program.

I would then record the audio separately, (EDIT: at same time) using good equipment (not the cameras) and use your favorite DAW to make it right, then push it back to the video program and sync. Then you have 3 views to choose from and swap between them within the song as you wish, with same audio.
    Yeah, I do all of those things!

Thanks
    Part of the problem is that people see 100's of hours of high-end video and can sense when something is sub-par, even if they can't put their finger on it. That killed the Amiga Video Toaster back in the day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by radi0j0hn View Post
    Part of the problem is that people see 100's of hours of high-end video and can sense when something is sub-par, even if they can't put their finger on it. That killed the Amiga Video Toaster back in the day.
    Maybe. I might also argue that, analogous to those same people listening to audio on a $2 earbuds, they're probably watching *thousands* of hours of highly compressed phone video with crap audio. So, maybe there's a split in perception. I'm aiming low

While I'd be happy to look at some A/B videos of the same performance done simply with better equipment, I still think the intangible "quality" that really makes a difference is the performance and then to a lesser extent the capture and production, assuming it a least preserves and maybe enhances that performance vs. diminishing it, of course.

For what I'm doing, 4K video equipment and a new Mac Pro or 2 is not going to make a difference in the short term because I've still got plenty to learn about walking around with my fingers making a little rectangle, and workflow, like having the right things in the checklist in the right order, and then using the damn checklist!

Thread Information