Video Editing: Simple video for synthwave track

bantonioch

Greetings.
I edit videos for my own music, since it seems people are more keen to hear it if it has something to look at, sadly.
I went for a retro-80s feel, since the music is "synthwave". I downloaded some stock footage from the web with a common theme for each part of the track.
The issue I had is that sony vegas pro 13 DOESN'T HAVE any automatic audio spectrum visualizer generator! So I had to screen capture winamp's visualization and blend it over the footage.
FInally, I threw some warp fx and tv simulator to the video output so it looks like seen on a CRT TV.
Hope you like it.

Edit... Damn. It seems im not allowed to post links yet :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to be honest, that constant jiggle gave me a serious problem watching this. Conceptually it's probably fine for that genre, but maybe it's my old eyes/brain - just not a pleasant sensation. Probably the youngsters here will love it.

Kids these days and their virtual CRTs! Back in my day, video looked crappy, and we liked it that way!

I think the early parts of the video with the stars/aurora borealis and visualization all in the center, the middle is a little busy.
When it switches to the city-scapes and traffic so there's more happening near the edges of the screen, it works better.

Pretty cool overall tho.

What does the visualizer actually represent? Is it volume vs. panning or volume vs. frequency?

Thanks both of you for the replies. Hehe. Yea, I know I'm being "nostalgic" for an era that I didn't live and also for a place where im not from too, nor i've never visited!
I have to be honest, that constant jiggle gave me a serious problem watching this. Conceptually it's probably fine for that genre, but maybe it's my old eyes/brain - just not a pleasant sensation. Probably the youngsters here will love it.
Yes. I've seen many videos with these kind of "fillers".
Also, spectrum visualizers popularized in late 90s/early 2000s when computers were starting of being capable of running those algorithms in real time. So this idea is kinda outdated now. I think youngsters nowadays prefer a much more agressive editing of the audio visualizations: rapid zooming in/out and that kind of stuff that is too much for me haha.

I think the early parts of the video with the stars/aurora borealis and visualization all in the center, the middle is a little busy.
When it switches to the city-scapes and traffic so there's more happening near the edges of the screen, it works better.

What does the visualizer actually represent? Is it volume vs. panning or volume vs. frequency?
Thanks for the kind words. About the first part, I thought that too, but i didnt have any more footage and I did want the audio visualization to be in the middle through the video for the sake of consistency.
The audio representation is: Channels L / R on their respective sides of the screen. On the x axis is the frequency and in the y is the amplitude. The left channel is "mirrored" of what is normaly displayed (it goes from 20KHZ to 20Hz) and the R runs from 20 to 20K.

Well. Since I can't find where's the setting for the signature, I have to clarify directly: I'm not a native speaker, so forgive any misspelling or weird wording from my part. Cheers.

Well. Since I can't find where's the setting for the signature, I have to clarify directly: I'm not a native speaker, so forgive any misspelling or weird wording from my part. Cheers.

No worries, your english is good enough. Been to Argentina before, enjoyed my time there.

Your signatre settings should be available after a certain number of posts. Not sure how many that is. Maybe 5 or 10.

Have to agree that the side to side jiggle is hard to take. Its very "video game"

Haha. Well. I have to admit I may be influenced by that. I started digging into game design and music for games for the last 2 years.

Also, I think I was moslty influenced by these kind of video "fillers"
youtube.com/watch?v=mfbCq5NqPVw (not allowed to post links yet)

A fun thing to try is to film projections (if you have a projector) and if you move the camera slowly from side to side you distort the image. It can be pretty trippy. Then you can cast shadows onto the projection too which is also fun. Just for something different. Easy ways to jazz up simple videos I guess

Shouldnt matter much if its a cheapy, its more about whether it gives you the flashing horizontal lines, something about the refresh rate of the projector and the shutter speed of your camera. Something to watch out for

Back