Using a Reference Video while Editing

• Thread starter Deleted member 203901
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 203901

Hey there,

Just wanted to ask this question here: What are your thoughts on using a reference video while making/editing your own DIY music videos and how can one go about setting it up in a video editing software?

In audio, it seems like a very common practice to use a reference mix while mixing one's songs in order to make the "right" decisions with regards to things like relative levels, compression, brightness or dullness, loudness, wetness, etc (especially common if one is a relatively inexperienced or a new mixer not fully confident about his/her abilities and/or monitoring environment) Does the same concept apply to video editing as well? Would it be applicable to use a reference video in a similar way in order to make the "right" choices with regards to things like color, contrast, brightness, clip speed, clip duration, etc?

I'm currently in the process of creating/editing my own DIY music video and I am not feeling very confident about the editing choices that I'm making. Also, if using a reference video is indeed applicable, is it even possible to set it up in a video editing software in order to make side-by-side comparisons as one would do with an audio reference mix? For instance, wouldn't two videos play at the same time? (I know in an audio DAW one can mute or solo the mix or the reference to only hear one or the other.

Furthermore, while using an audio reference mix, it is advisable to have the volume/loudness of the reference match with the mix before making any mixing decisions based on the reference. What should one match between the reference video and one's own video before making video editing decisions based on the reference? I would love to hear your opinions on this matter! Thanks.

Second question first. If you can get your reference video on to your hard drive, then it should be a simple matter of dragging the video to your editor's timeline. Which video editor are you using? Except for the simplest of editors, most can have multiple tracks with the option to hide the video.

I have never used a reference video. I'm trying to think where I would need to do that. It wouldn't be in the filming stages. That would be akin to using a reference song while writing your song. I would like to keep my material as original as possible, even if there is an influence from another song.

Why would I use a reference song in audio? It's mostly to help me define the lower frequencies of the mix because they are the most difficult to set. The kick and the bass. So, for me, that is a very specific use. I don't see where that concept would transfer over to video. In a video, I'm going to have a clear idea of how the content is to be filmed and edited. The storyline, lighting, angles, and such. Then in editing, I pretty much use only straight transition or crossfades. Nothing fancy.

In audio, you might have a clear idea of how you want the bass to sound, but then you have to get it to work with other instruments. I just don't see the same idea crossing over to video. The only reason I might consider using a reference video is for color rendition. But maybe that's more of an issues between video clips with your own footage rather than trying to match someone else's video.

Good question, but I don't see a need to use one. Others might.

Here's an example of one of my videos...
YouTube

I see why people use audio reference tracks, they're handy to refer to, but personally I don't use them. On the video front, every video I edit is totally different. There's no point in relating to other videos because they're simply different. I do use a vector scope to keep an eye on colour levels, and I make sure my monitors are balanced in colour rendition. One is NOT, and this annoys me greatly, as it's colour shifts from time to time. This one has my timeline on it, so I can cope.

Chilli's image shows how (in my view) there's no point in using anyone else's material (or even may own) as a reference. He created that look - how would a reference to anything else work?

Second question first. If you can get your reference video on to your hard drive, then it should be a simple matter of dragging the video to your editor's timeline. Which video editor are you using? Except for the simplest of editors, most can have multiple tracks with the option to hide the video.

I have never used a reference video. I'm trying to think where I would need to do that. It wouldn't be in the filming stages. That would be akin to using a reference song while writing your song. I would like to keep my material as original as possible, even if there is an influence from another song.

Why would I use a reference song in audio? It's mostly to help me define the lower frequencies of the mix because they are the most difficult to set. The kick and the bass. So, for me, that is a very specific use. I don't see where that concept would transfer over to video. In a video, I'm going to have a clear idea of how the content is to be filmed and edited. The storyline, lighting, angles, and such. Then in editing, I pretty much use only straight transition or crossfades. Nothing fancy.

In audio, you might have a clear idea of how you want the bass to sound, but then you have to get it to work with other instruments. I just don't see the same idea crossing over to video. The only reason I might consider using a reference video is for color rendition. But maybe that's more of an issues between video clips with your own footage rather than trying to match someone else's video.

Good question, but I don't see a need to use one. Others might.

Here's an example of one of my videos...
YouTube

Thanks Chili for your reply. BTW, I really liked your song and video...The video looks very unique/original and the song has great energy.

I'm using the Davinci Resolve video editor. I think there might be a multiple track option in one of the editing tabs of the software.

Yes, I agree with you that it would make no sense to use a reference video in the filming stages. I was thinking about using the reference only in the very final editing stage (transitions, effects, color/contrasts, etc). As you mentioned, originality is definitely an important element, both artistically as well as commercially. Thanks.

I see why people use audio reference tracks, they're handy to refer to, but personally I don't use them. On the video front, every video I edit is totally different. There's no point in relating to other videos because they're simply different. I do use a vector scope to keep an eye on colour levels, and I make sure my monitors are balanced in colour rendition. One is NOT, and this annoys me greatly, as it's colour shifts from time to time. This one has my timeline on it, so I can cope.

Chilli's image shows how (in my view) there's no point in using anyone else's material (or even may own) as a reference. He created that look - how would a reference to anything else work?

Thanks rob aylestone for your reply. I sometimes refer to reference tracks as I am completely new to mixing and not very confident in either my mixing abilities or my audio monitoring environment. Also, I was thinking about using a reference video in the very final editing stages (color/contrast, unique transitions, effects, etc). Yes, Chili's video is very unique/original indeed!

There's nothing wrong with using a reference video if you don't know what to do, but you don't need to. As you become more experienced you wont need it anymore because you will already have an idea in your head about what you want to do.

I have improvised and recorded music while watching video on a separate laptop.
This was so that I can match my playing to the mood of the video.
Then I paste the audio track into the video.

Reference audio to 'help' a mix is, in my view pretty pointless unless you are doing a show track, or karaoke version, or a close cover. Other than that, I see little point, and for video, it's even worse - are you copying a video? If not, the things like exposure, contrast, brightness and the zillions of looks you have now really don't work form one product to another. I read posts on another forum from somebody who is in a constant loop to copy other people's ideas for his own edits and the never, ever, work. At the moment he's obsessed with the 'teal' look some movies have - a drop in saturation but a reinforcement of the yellowish and green blue colours. Trouble is, his videos are shot differently, lack the lighting, and creativity of the ones he is trying to mimic. Clip duration cannot be copied from a reference track - that's daft? Unless your clips are identical. The movavi software does most of the beginner stuff pretty well.

Back