Sick Puppies - All The Same (Cover) - [One-Man Band]

The video itself is pretty well done: a solidly performed and well-recorded cover, the video itself is shot and lit well. The editing's a little random, but I don't tend to notice that much.

My only criticism would be that it gets boring to just see the same few shots over and over again, especially when you're not doing anything besides focusing on the recording. "Studio" videos are made better by the little "moments" that happen, which is why they often "lip sync" over the finished song rather than use the actual footage of the recording process: that way, the musicians can think about the faces they're making and stuff like that rather than on their musical performance.

So, if you're interested in actually doing some more filming and re-editing, here are my tips:

1. Get a friend to hold the camera (make sure this friend at least knows what he's doing), and tell him to move it around a bit. Take some shots that are way up close (like, just your mouth while you're singing, just your hands while you're playing guitar, etc.) and some that are far away, and some in the middle.

2. Consider recording some "B" material, maybe outside the studio--you know, just something else that fits the tone of the song. You walking around at night, etc. Then cut that footage into the video. Try and craft a little story out of it (doesn't have to be epic, just something with a beginning, middle, and end).

3. Think of the editing as, "If I was there in the studio, what would I want to look at at this precise moment, based on what I'm hearing?" I probably want to see you singing at the moment you first start singing--and this is true for every part of the song. Once you start singing and I've looked at that for a line or two, then maybe I want to see something else. If there's a cool drum fill, let me see that. If there's a guitar solo, show me that. Etc.

4. This one's my own preference, but consider ditching the "all of you at once" shot, or maybe save it for the very end.

5. If you're going to mix up black & white shots with color, try and have a thematic reason for it. Right now it seems kind of random.

6. Be consistent, and break the consistency for a reason. For example, if all your edits are on beat, don't make half the edits off-beat. Make just a few of them off-beat, and only when you want to draw attention to the edit itself.

Back