Question about Davinci Resolve Video Software

• Thread starter Deleted member 203901
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 203901

Hello there,

Recently I installed the free version of the Davinci Resolve 16 video editing software on my computer (I learned about this software by browsing the music video section of this forum as well.) The problem is that the software doesn't seem to be running efficiently on my computer (the computer has windows 10 and a RAM of 4 GB). While running the software set up it did tell me that my computer was totally fine with regards to all the requirements of the software....but I'm finding that the software is not running smoothly at all, especially when playing back clips added to the timeline during editing. What do you think could be causing the problem and what are the things I can do to make this software run more smoothly? (By the way, when I reduced the project settings "frame rate" from 30 fps to 24 fps, it improved things a bit but still there seems to be a lots of inefficiencies, latency and overall poor performance.) Thanks in advance!

I'm inclined to think that Resolve is not the problem, but the file size of the video clips and the computer you're using. 4GB of ram is not a lot of memory for doing video work. The quickest, easiest, and most noticeable change you can make is to add more memory. 8GB would be bare minimum, but 16GB should work fine. What are the rest of the specs for your PC?

You don't need a hotrod PC for audio work, but you do for video.

I agree, 4GB of RAM is pretty small for video work. But one thing that you can try is to create proxy media items for the video files that you're working with. Even with a beastly machine, I have to do that in order to work with 4K video. But I think that even for 1080p files you can create proxy items that'll ease the burden of working with them on your timeline.

Resolve calls proxy files "optimized media". Here's a quick guide on how to set it up: Quick Tip: How To Use Optimized Media In DaVinci Resolve

I'm inclined to think that Resolve is not the problem, but the file size of the video clips and the computer you're using. 4GB of ram is not a lot of memory for doing video work. The quickest, easiest, and most noticeable change you can make is to add more memory. 8GB would be bare minimum, but 16GB should work fine. What are the rest of the specs for your PC?

You don't need a hotrod PC for audio work, but you do for video.

Thanks Chili for your reply. I was completely unaware that 4 GB RAM is insufficient memory for video work. The rest of the specs for the PC is as follows: 64-bit operating system, Intel(R) Core(TM) x64-based processor. Yes, I might need to look into adding more memory to my computer in the near future. Thanks!

I agree, 4GB of RAM is pretty small for video work. But one thing that you can try is to create proxy media items for the video files that you're working with. Even with a beastly machine, I have to do that in order to work with 4K video. But I think that even for 1080p files you can create proxy items that'll ease the burden of working with them on your timeline.

Resolve calls proxy files "optimized media". Here's a quick guide on how to set it up: Quick Tip: How To Use Optimized Media In DaVinci Resolve

Thanks Tadpui for your reply. Yes I might have to create proxy items in order to complete this current project that I'm working on (since I don't have the option of updating my memory immediately). Thanks for sharing that link on proxy items/optimized media!

Besides memory, a pretty good multi-core CPU (at least 4 cores IMO/IME) makes a huge difference. So, short answer, you probably need to start thinking about a beefier computer if you want to do video.

Most editing programs are going to have to create proxy media for quasi-realtime editing, but doing that means, besides memory to operate in, there has to be a spare "cpu" or two available to do that conversion work in the background, and do it reasonably quickly. Otherwise, your system is just going to choke because it won't have anything to display.

I was editing on my old Mini with 16GB and when I actually watched what was going on, it had enough memory, but I had a stack of things trying to run in the background. Now, I was actually able to edit on that old (i3), but render times where horrific. FFW to a faster i5 with 6 cores (and, yes, even more memory), and those problems are gone.

Besides memory, a pretty good multi-core CPU (at least 4 cores IMO/IME) makes a huge difference. So, short answer, you probably need to start thinking about a beefier computer if you want to do video.

Most editing programs are going to have to create proxy media for quasi-realtime editing, but doing that means, besides memory to operate in, there has to be a spare "cpu" or two available to do that conversion work in the background, and do it reasonably quickly. Otherwise, your system is just going to choke because it won't have anything to display.

I was editing on my old Mini with 16GB and when I actually watched what was going on, it had enough memory, but I had a stack of things trying to run in the background. Now, I was actually able to edit on that old (i3), but render times where horrific. FFW to a faster i5 with 6 cores (and, yes, even more memory), and those problems are gone.

Thanks keith.rogers for sharing your insights. I really appreciate it. Yes, as you mentioned, besides adding some RAM to my current computer I also need to start thinking about getting a beefier computer in the future. Thanks!

If this helps

I bought my computer [very recently] as a 'top end' computer for my DAW

So I had i9 CPU and other bells and whistles

The guys building it were doing so to my stated use

Then I start using Davinici - and with a great CPU, and everything else [except GPU] it was a dog for video editing

On the Davinci speed test it came back saying I could shoot and edit in most the highest most demanding formats

Anyway... I upgraded the GPU a week or two ago - to 2070 super [argh another £500 down the drain]

But I have to say that Davinci has been a dream since then. So I would think - I'm not an expert at computers, at all - that it is very little to do with CPU... and likely GPU

They want you on 8GB GPU ideally... and if you get more than that, you future proof yourself a bit

Back