Orchestra recording

keith.rogers

Ok, this is not a Home Recording area, but I marvel at the choreographic planning that must go into doing something like this, not to mention the sheer number of microphones! (The guitars are plugged in, as well, with what look like LR Baggs pickups?)

I'd just like to be there to watch something like this being done, and then in the room for post/production.

If you watch all the way to the end, you'll see Ehrlund mics are credited. I first saw this duo's video of Woodstock, where I stumbled across the company. Pretty impressive, and I'm still kind of intrigued by the idea of a cardioid, handheld condenser as the primary mic (but not the only one!) for singer-songwriter recording.

If you look up night of the proms - a European mega event, you'll see every variety of individual orchestral miking, and some very clever stuff too - absolutely amazing audio quality and what must be nightmare mixes.

Recording at this scale is a very different craft than studio sessions. Finding that balance between bleed and clarity. That's really nice orchestration on that clip above, too.

Also noticing that the guitars also have screw-in bar pickups in the sound holes--that'd be helpful for mixing.

Back