Only an Ocean Away by Sarah Brightman - Cover by Elena

ElenaHouse

Hi Guys!

This is one of my favorite songs.

"Only an Ocean Away" by Sarah Brightman.

It's such a beautiful song. I hope I did it justice.

So amazing, it will be such a shame if you do not have a famous career as a singer/performer. There is a little distortion in places, I’m not sure what your vocal chain is, or exactly how this is recorded, but you deserve to have top flight gear for your vocals.

So amazing, it will be such a shame if you do not have a famous career as a singer/performer. There is a little distortion in places, I’m not sure what your vocal chain is, or exactly how this is recorded, but you deserve to have top flight gear for your vocals.

If I get a gig near home I'll be sure to let the local folks like you know. LOL. (country in the city)

I don't know the meaning of "vocal train". We might get around to upgrading my recording equipment but we have also had to get video camera, green screen stuff, a lot of lighting, dresses :))))

Thank you so much.

~Elena~

If I get a gig near home I'll be sure to let the local folks like you know. LOL. (country in the city)

I don't know the meaning of "vocal train". We might get around to upgrading my recording equipment but we have also had to get video camera, green screen stuff, a lot of lighting, dresses :))))

Thank you so much.

~Elena~

Chain = Your voice => Microphone => Pre-Amp => A/D Converter => Interface => Computer. Many times the Pre-Amp, A/D Converter and interface are combined into one 'box'.

Yeah that mic's OK, I'd like to hear her on my Newmann U87AI, through my Avalon 737VT through the Fireface 800 :-)

Now that's a chain you can believe in... (you can hear it in action on my Paul Rogers tribute post, "Is this me?") Talent is a wonderful thing, and Miss House clearly was blessed with natural ability. When you can pair that up with great gear? :-) As Martha Stewart is fameous for saying, "it's a good thing..."

Last edited:
Lovely voice as usual - being that the backing is so restrained the siblance seemed to stand out a little - have you tried a de esser?

Are you really 13?
I really loved the voice, though I didn't know the song before.
It reminded me of Enya somehow, I loved the "breathy" tone sometimes.
Now I'd be interested if you can mange a different style also, I mean a little less ballad-feeling? Just curious ;)

Yup i'm 13. Gonna be 14 before too long.

Here is my vocal chain. Mic=Rode NT1A, Interface=Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Software=Ableton Live.

I usually only add "medium concert hall" reverb. I can hear all kinds of mixing in Sarah Brightman songs but I can't begin to imagine what she is doing. I think I came pretty close to her sound, considering.

Here is Sarah's version. She starts at 1:01.

**********PLEASE HELP !!! ***********
Last night Youtube muted my "Only An Ocean Away" video and they put the message: "This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by all copyright holders. The audio has been disabled" on my video!
Does anyone know how to fix this? There are plenty of cover songs out there using background music including others of this exact song too, but they aren't muted!!!
I bought the sound track from iTunes. What can I do?

You are a beautiful girl? But your real beauty is in your voice... You don't need a video to amaze people, seriously, focus on your true gift, your voice? Your beauty will be an added gift. I see your beauty in your performance? The fact that you are in fact beautiful is a bonus that people can experience after the fact.

**And I don't mean this to be creepy in any way... I am sincere. I am one of your fans.

***** A quick update *******
Someone told me to dispute the claim under the fair use law and the sound has been put back on temporarily while they review it. Fingers crossed! :confused:

I don't know... just because it's on iTunes doesn't mean you have a legal right to use someone else's property. You need a mechanical license to record someone else's song. For something like Sarah Brightman's song, you should check with the Harry Fox agency.

yeah, yeah, yeah... most times no one is going to notice when you cover a song without a license, but I guess someone did this time....

***** A quick update *******
Someone told me to dispute the claim under the fair use law and the sound has been put back on temporarily while they review it. Fingers crossed! :confused:

How exactly do you do that and communicate it to Youtube.

I suspect the Youtube problem (it's up as I type this by the way) is because you've labelled it "by Sarah Brightman" and you're so good they think it's her singing.

I assume the iTunes backing track you bought is a karaoke version which grants you rights to sing along with it and use it (most do, otherwise what's the point of selling backing tracks). If so, just contact Youtube and tell them it YOU singing and the backing music was purchased legally from Whoever Music via iTunes.

Anyhow, I agree with the others that it's a lovely version showing off your voice nicely. A good engineer could tweak the slight sibilance that's there and probably make your voice sit a bit better with the backing--but none of the minor quibbles take away from the way quality of your voice.

I wish you well in the future!

There's a "form" for disputation. I had someone claim I'd used their footage in a vid. I sussed them out & they'd been doing it all over with no apparent ownership of anything so i follow the link in the claim notice & filled in the form. After a few weeks they got back to me and said all was OK. Personally i wanted to follow through on the gold digging troll but utub weren't too interested.

Back