OBS Studio - Has Anyone Ever Used?

OBS is great! I can't tell you how many apps I tried that couldn't record webcam+audio and desktop+audio as separate things.
OBS has it right there on the main page, plus more.

I don't know anything about its editing capabilities but for capture, at very least, it's great.

Being able to bounce out with multi channel audio is great too.
If you choose to use an other DAW for post, everything's still there in parts. :)

I use OBS for desktop capture and live streaming. I really like it, especially for freeware. They've been actively updating it, streamlining the (pretty awful) user interface, and making it generally easier to use all the time. It's a little finicky to get set up the first time, but once you're set up it's reliable and fully-featured.

One big feature, in my opinion, which has been requested but is still missing is the ability to select hardware inputs other than one+two from an audio interface.

At present, if you select your device as the system or voice input, it will default to 1+2 and that's that.

My interface has the ability to mirror system(including daw) output to S/Pdif so if OBS had the option to record from S/Pdif a simple rca cable would make it a very streamlined and convenient way to video and commentate on sessions.
As it is I have two use two further stages of software routing to achieve the same.

It still seems far better than many alternatives, all the same, but given that there are existing routing apps which will take whatever hardware input you want, or even 'hijack' audio streams on a per-app basis, it seems they could do more.

Back