Multimedia use during a rock band performance

Jimmy Ringus

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes!

We're a new band playing highly theatrical rock songs and I'd like to use some multimedia visuals on stage to illustrate certain sections (especially instrumental passages which have some stage directions attached to them).

Not looking to produce a music video for every song. A lot of the time we could just display logos or white noise, but then just have film or animations cut in (we're on the trail of some content creators).

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how best to present the images on your average club size stages.

We've considered digital projectors and also slinging flat panel TVs from our lighting rig. I guess the source could be a laptop, ether automated or with a VJ (we play to a click).

We've some budget, but the whole idea is to start fairly small and hopefully scale up to Rammstein proportions in the future. From the start we want to use visuals to punch above our weight (we're using costumes, soundscapes, props etc).

I'd be really grateful for any pointers in the right direction. I'm very new to the visual side.

Jimmy

I would think that a projector and screen controlled by laptop would be the way to go. Those elements are all moderately portable and scale pretty well for small to mid-sized clubs.
Keep your files in a really portable format so that clubs with their own systems (which as a permanent installation will invariably be better than yours), can work with them.
If you play at clubs with their own systems, either bring along your own off-stage "light guy" to run the system or have it all auto-play.

Good luck! Post some vids if you can!

Back