Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multi-camera livestream recommendations

Thanks

Multi-camera livestream recommendations

Sign in to disable this ad
    My band is gonna try to do a livestream show in the near future, and I'd like to get real fancy and do a multi-camera thing.

And by multi-camera, I mean phones. Android phones.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Recommendations for tools and software to use? Preferably free?

Thanks
    Subscribed. Interested in what you find out.

Thanks
    So here's what I've found: (some instructions)
    You need to have one system (probably a computer or dedicated box) set up as a server to receive the video from the phones and stream it to Youtube or wherever.
    The options that ought to work are OBS (free) and [https://manycam.com]Manycam[/url] (probably simpler since it includes both components)

Then each of the phones needs an app that can stream to that first system. If you're using OBS, you need some kind of RTMP app. (e.g. RTMP Camera - Apps on Google Play). ManyCam appears to come with its own version

Thanks
    Just some thoughts...

1. Take your time to experiment beforehand and in different circumstances. It isn't as simple as most tut's make it out to be. Try all streaming providers you can test (for free).

2. Test upload speed at the location you'll be using it from. It could work at home and fail completely at the live location.

3. Test all sorts of camera's. Phones are usually good, except in low light, or in macro. Even old webcams sometimes do better, as that's what they're designed for. Phones are made for outdoors shooting.

4. Don't go wild and try to do it in HD. Good music with an average picture will score far better than the same music that stops every now and then.

5. Try streaming to two service providers. You'll often find the one you chose doesn't work on the day you need it. If your provider is worth the salt on his French fries, it won't even cause double upload on you local connection.

OBS is very good, but it needs the right computer. Some GPU's don't work too well. It offloads some CPU intensive calculations to the GPU and when it doesn't find a compatible GPU, the performance will be severely limited. If you count on doing this often consider building a rack mount dedicated PC with a server motherboard, but not a server GPU.

OBS has a learning curve, but it also has a very good forum.
    MB Pro, FF400, MKH816, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cyrano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    all good to know. My band has mentioned doing stuff like this. New territory for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    2. Test upload speed at the location you'll be using it from. It could work at home and fail completely at the live location.
    Fortunately, we're filming at my home studio, so we don't have to worry about that at least!
    OBS is very good, but it needs the right computer. Some GPU's don't work too well. It offloads some CPU intensive calculations to the GPU and when it doesn't find a compatible GPU, the performance will be severely limited. If you count on doing this often consider building a rack mount dedicated PC with a server motherboard, but not a server GPU.

OBS has a learning curve, but it also has a very good forum.
    Some of the recommendations I was reading said that OBS really needs an Intel CPU. Any idea the veracity of that? (I know I'm AMD, but I don't recall my GPU. I don't game much anymore, so it may be the mobo's onboard now)

Thanks
    If you get it all working, could you do a tutorial?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    Some of the recommendations I was reading said that OBS really needs an Intel CPU. Any idea the veracity of that? (I know I'm AMD, but I don't recall my GPU. I don't game much anymore, so it may be the mobo's onboard now)
    I use OBS on both a computer running an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU and an entry-level NVIDIA Quadro GPU, and on a computer running an Intel i7 with an NVIDIA GTX 1080 and both of those machines have no problems keeping up with OBS at all. I also ran it on a computer running an Intel i3 with no GPU, and it worked but it really stressed out that CPU when it had to do all of the encoding plus other stuff. I'd say try it out and see.

I'm curious how YouTube's new encoder works. They added the "Go Live" button but I haven't used it yet. It might take some of the complexity and compatibility issues out of the equation for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    If you get it all working, could you do a tutorial?
    I'll see what I can do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    Fortunately, we're filming at my home studio, so we don't have to worry about that at least!
    You might still want to test at different hours of the day. My broadband is fine, except around 5 o'clock in the afternoon, when school is out. All the kids checking their social media tends to eat up a lot of bandwidth...

No idea. I'm always very skeptical about such remarks. And fortunately, Tadpui already sorted that out.
    MB Pro, FF400, MKH816, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cyrano For This Useful Post:

Thread Information