Lyric video for an Older version of my song

• Thread starter Deleted member 203901
  • Start date
It's not about whether you should or shouldn't add lyrics.

It's how you add lyrics.

It's also about what your main aim for the viewer is. Do you want them to focus on the vision or on the lyrics?

You should never ad lyrics to your videos, not around here at least.

LOL - I agree. I think lyrics written in a music video is distracting.

The song sounds cool and well performed. To me, the low end is missing or not prominent enough. I don't hear the kick or bass too well, they are just kind of a low-end smear. For me, the snare is right where it needs to be when compared to the level of the vocals, same with guitars. Lower end instruments are the hardest to mix. You really need to count on your monitoring environment to get it right. I've been trying to do that for 12 year!!!
:)

Thanks for sharing.

It's not about whether you should or shouldn't add lyrics.

It's how you add lyrics.

It's also about what your main aim for the viewer is. Do you want them to focus on the vision or on the lyrics?

Thanks gecko zzed for your reply. Yes, I totally agree with you there. How you add lyrics is indeed very important.

BTW, this is only my third attempt at making a lyric video (plus, I learned to use this video/text editing software only a couple of months ago). So I still have a lot to learn. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my song and watch my video :)

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL - I agree. I think lyrics written in a music video is distracting.

The song sounds cool and well performed. To me, the low end is missing or not prominent enough. I don't hear the kick or bass too well, they are just kind of a low-end smear. For me, the snare is right where it needs to be when compared to the level of the vocals, same with guitars. Lower end instruments are the hardest to mix. You really need to count on your monitoring environment to get it right. I've been trying to do that for 12 year!!!
:)

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Chili for your reply and feedback on the song. I am really glad that you liked the song/composition as well as the performance. BTW, I'm a big fan of your "Rearview" song on YouTube...I love it's energy and overall vibe!

Yes, the low end in this song definitely sounds like it could benefit from some boost. I think it's very interesting that the person (a good friend of mine) who mixed this song is actually an active Hip hop beatmaker/producer (and they are known for their huge low end, especially the kick). I think it's possible that he might have overcompensated in order to make sure that the low end didn't stick out too much (as would be the case in a typical hip hop track) :) It is also possible that he found the low end information very hard to mix, like you said.

Also, I forgot to mention that this track doesn't even have a bass guitar part (or any other low frequency instrument) :)

Thank you so much for listening to my song!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, not adding bass to this song was a big mistake on my part. But, this was done with such time limits that I was glad with just the fact that this song actually got "completed" :)

Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one and they all stink.

First off is your intention, are the words sending out a VERY important message? Is it a sing along type song?

As a kid I loved the bouncing ball lyrics thing...as a performer trying to learn a cover song on youtube I appreciate a version with the lyrics so I don't have to have two screens up. The easy thing is you can put both one with and one without and see which gets more views and also length of view...

So IMO Lyrics are OK and even necessary on some videos it's not an all or nothing thing.

The transitions looked cool to me albeit not in English so clueless as to what the words meant

Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one and they all stink.

First off is your intention, are the words sending out a VERY important message? Is it a sing along type song?

As a kid I loved the bouncing ball lyrics thing...as a performer trying to learn a cover song on youtube I appreciate a version with the lyrics so I don't have to have two screens up. The easy thing is you can put both one with and one without and see which gets more views and also length of view...

So IMO Lyrics are OK and even necessary on some videos it's not an all or nothing thing.

The transitions looked cool to me albeit not in English so clueless as to what the words meant

Thanks TAE for your feedback on the video/song. I appreciate it. Yes, I think that this is a sing along type song with an important message (or at least I hope so)

That's a great idea putting out two versions of the video, one with and one without lyrics, to experiment which one does well. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll definitely have to try that in the future. Also, I'm glad that you liked the transitions. Thanks again!

Back