Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Lip sync video of pre-recorded music advice.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi All!

I'm just checking back in to say I'm still hanging in there and have not yet made the big leap to schedule that pro studio time I mentioned after numerous trials with my Zoom Q8 and Studio Projects B3 condenser mics. I did some research because I have a problem that is not predictable where I have phlegm around my vocal cords that can have a dramatic effect on my singing. I don't want to pay for studio time and show up unable to sing.

Pro vocalists use either a "nebulizer" or a "steamer" to moisturize their vocal cords directly before singing. There is a steamer/nebulizer debate. The real gist of it is dryness around the vocal cords. You can drink a lot of water and just be "hydrated" in general and maybe not have the problem. I'm 66 yrs old and can be, due to the aging process, easily dehydrated. You might think if you drink just before singing that it will moisturize your vocal cords, but the vocal cords are not in your esophagus, they are in your trachea or wind-pipe, and that's why steam, or using a nebulizer is used by pro vocalists.

There are several videos where they purport that a nebulizer is best because it penetrates deep. I found often they are videos where eventually by the end they want you to buy a nebulizer they are selling. I read two ENT doctors comments stating nebulizer produce super fine atomized water (like a thick fog) that penetrates deep into the lungs and are designed for use with various lung medications. Steam does not penetrate that deep, and so they contend steam is better for vocalists. I ordered finally, after a lot of searching, for a portable steamer that I can always bring with me and use before I record. It's suppose to arrive in about 5 days by mail.

It's September 2nd and a few days cold already in Minnesota, so I hope the day I record it is warm outdoors. Where I use to live in the north I learned long ago in that area they have snow recorded every month of the year except July ha! I'm hoping for warmth because doing my trial runs by bicycle (I commute by bike and don't own a car) I've seen a couple of very nice parks with pavilions that I'm almost sure have AC plug-in. I can moisturize there, about 2 miles from the studio. I'm thinking it might not look so good if I'm using a steamer in the main area at the recording studio, an area that has couches, a kitchenette with a bar like counter, and a main front counter that looks like no one ever sits behind. When I was there on one of my trial runs that main area was very busy. There were a lot of people and very expensive looking cameras etc involved in a video that seemed to be using both the small and large studios. It could be a busy day the day of my appointment. I'm going to, thanks to advice here, bring my Zoom Q8 camera and a tripod as at the studio the owner emailed they only have mic stands -- so more to carry in my side bags. That's how it is so far. Thanks for all the patience with my amateur ways, and with all the great advice here!!

Top of the Day!
    Winfred

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Equipment means very little. 150 for your song sounds fine if you can get it recorded and mixed in that time. I can't see how you can give quotes like that. What's the quality threshold? You've got a dodgy hand so are you prepared to play multiple times, or are they going to take say three takes and edit? The job I just finished took 9 attempts to record the singer's voice till she felt she was happy and then three hours to comp from these to get the end result she needed. This was with a track already produced. You have voice and guitar. How long do you think it will take to get the takes done? The studio will stop when you are happy. If it's still crap and you run out of time, you need to make a tough decision. Accept the product for what it is at that stage, or keep going and keep paying. Probably if you play and sing ok, it will be fine.

Not being funny, but you still have the problem of a one shot video don't you? Are you ok syncing up? Normally you'd have a count so you can hit the first note or guitar strum. How are you managing this? Getting the studio to put a click on the start, or something else? With your low Tec approach you have to press play on the audio machine, press record on the zoom and then hit the first note. Presumably you'll edit this out on YouTube?
    Hi Rob!

I'm replying to a message you sent at the beginning of my thread because I think I can reply more briefly and because I made an important decision, though long ago now, to trim my cover of "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell to at most be 3 min 30 sec long. The studio gave me the quote of $50 an hour 2 hr minimum. Also the minimum for doing the mastering is $50. You ask about my playing my song multiple times... I feel I'm prepared to play multiple times as that is what I do when I practice.

I let diffidence creep into my life too often and have procrastinated about finally making the big call and scheduling studio time. Also Minnesota has had some quite cold temps and I don't own a car, also cold is not good for my guitar. I've tried to avoid public transport, but will have to give in on my day of recording. It's 2 1/2 hrs each way or 5 hours round trip. It's two city buses and a light rail each way to get there and walking 1/2 mile each way with my guitar on my back and carrying my tripod, Zoom 8 Camera, a small steamer I purchased to moisturize my vocal cords, food, water... The steamer is because I've read that singers need to moisturize their vocal cords and avoid phlegm. I have a problem with phlegm that is unpredictable and can't risk that problem during studio time.

I last May purchased a different acoustic guitar, all "things", and myself, are ready as can be. I'm glad you told me I have a dodgy hand as no one has told me that maybe because coffeehouse open mic goers are more in the encouragement mode than anything. You were honest and I appreciate that. I am reluctant to a degree but willing to still give it a try. In fact it's their reactions, the open mic goers, over a 2yr period that have made me think I want to "leave something behind" with my music on YouTube. In a way too I'm wondering if my music might be liked by many on YouTube as another "test" as to how the general public, different than the open mic goers, and will react. When I posted my 7:33 long video around in June in 3 days I got 104 clicks and 7 nice comments, which wasn't much, but might be better with my shorter version and with a pro level studio. I'm going to take it all as it comes that way.

You mention having a count down to start. I tried that and start with a strum as the first note then the rest is all fingerpicking and singing. Do you mean the "studio putting a click on the start" so I have an exact starting time so you or whomever said they'd merge the video with the audio accurately? Someone here advised just to start my Zoom Q8 and let it record the whole time I'm recording.

I have to go to bed as it's almost 4AM, but someone was very kind to say they'd merge my video with the Studio recording. Was that you? Let me know if all seems like I answered your questions. It's "do or die" and decided to stop my putting things off. Thanks for all your help, and the help from so many here. I'm ever grateful!

Kindest Regards,
    Winfred

Thanks
    Clicks are very handy for syncing picture to audio - so when you come back the song starts say with click click click click strum and in the video you can hear it and in the audio you can hear it - so putting the two together is easy. Lets say the vocal comes in for a song on the second beat of the bar, that's 4 clicks plus one then in, but the first click is still in the right place for sync. Otherwise you'll play catchup putting picture and one or two audio tracks in sync. Doesn't matter so much with just music as all tracks are locked together.

EDIT - Now I'm really confused - you said thanks for me saying something about having a stiff hand or something? That's gone now? But it related to you telling us you had a bad wrist, not your playing abilities? By the time I came to finish this post off, it had gone?

Have I lost it?

As for the video thing - I said I'd be happy to take the video you shoot and try to sync it up to the audio. That offer's still there if you want.

Is there a time warp here we've fallen into?
    Last edited by rob aylestone; 09-12-2020 at 08:08.

Thanks
    WInfred, have you looked into what an Uber would cost for your trip to the studio. I've only used it a couple of times, but when I visited my son in Denver, I got a ride from the rail depot downtown to his apartment building for a pretty reasonable price. Do you have any friends that might give you a ride? Even one way would save you a bunch of time and hassle.

Thread Information