Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lip sync video of pre-recorded music advice.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveAlton View Post
    I do this all the time. I Personally worry about the quality of the recording first & THEN I put it to video. Your music SHOULD come first IMO. I record on a TASCAM DP24 at home. So I can take my jolly sweet time. Even when I cut tracks in the studio, I don't necessarily want to worry about filming on STUDIO time. I'm there to cut a track, or at least a vocal. If you MUST have the camera there, just let it run if you restart your track if you make a mistake. Don't mess with the camera. You can edit later. I think you should let cameras run, so you get the studio shots you want.

Once my track is done, I will worry about VIDEO. I go back & video shots of me playing guitar, or piano, or singing. I sing or play exactly as I do on the final track with all the nuances as best I can. play the track through my computer, sometimes connected to a Blue tooth speaker, sometimes not. Now I've got 2 camera angles, because my iPhone is one angle & my SONY AX53 is another...( I would suggest you run 2 ways to capture video for diversity. Use your phone too) So I'll sing to the track, play guitar, or piano...I can edit later. I get plently of takes, so I can weed through it & find what I need.

The beauty of movies & videos is it is a false sense of reality. It is all smoke & mirrors...

I just posted my first video here.
    Hi Steve!

Very nice of you to give such first hand advice to an unknown amateur like me! I just went to YouTube and listened to your songs, "First Love, Last Love", and, "Cry Of The Young", and you're phenomenal! I just looked at your Tascam and it's quite a piece of technology way over my head! It's amazing how you are so professional from so many angles to create your masterpiece videos! I can hardly believe what you can do with an iPhone! Also your Sony AX53 I looked up and looks like an amazing camera, and great results you've achieved with it. Besides all the huge leaps in talent to create your fine videos and recording technology, top vocals, instrumentation, all! Do you hire some vocalists to sing some of the accompanying background? I have a Zoom Q8. I'll have to change batteries at one point as a battery when recording audio and video runs down in about an hour. I have an extra battery, so at least I can record most of the time. Studio time is $50 an hour. The engineer said it was okay to run my camera. I need to feel "ready" and some set-backs but will schedule soon. I look forward to listening to more of your songs, from a troubadour extraordinaire!

Top of the Evening!
    Winfred

Thanks
    I have a Zoom H5 and two Zoom Q2HD cameras. I'm quite sure all of them can be powered through the USB mini connectors. I use old phone chargers I scrounge at thrift stores for this kind of thing (mostly for charging or powering my GoPros). When wall power isn't convenient I use portable booster batteries, of the type used for cell phones, to extend the running time of USB powered GoPros and Sony Handycams.

Some cameras will "see" some USB power sources as a computer and go into file transfer mode. If you start the camera recording first then connect the power, they don't do that.
    Last edited by bouldersoundguy; 5 Days Ago at 09:56.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The same charger that you use for the H5 and Q2 is used for the Q8. It's a 5v 1A charger. Any good USB charger with a 1A rating will work

Zoom AD-17 AC Adapter | Zoom

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TalismanRich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Winfred View Post
    Hi Steve!

Very nice of you to give such first hand advice to an unknown amateur like me! I just went to YouTube and listened to your songs, "First Love, Last Love", and, "Cry Of The Young", and you're phenomenal! I just looked at your Tascam and it's quite a piece of technology way over my head! It's amazing how you are so professional from so many angles to create your masterpiece videos! I can hardly believe what you can do with an iPhone! Also your Sony AX53 I looked up and looks like an amazing camera, and great results you've achieved with it. Besides all the huge leaps in talent to create your fine videos and recording technology, top vocals, instrumentation, all! Do you hire some vocalists to sing some of the accompanying background? I have a Zoom Q8. I'll have to change batteries at one point as a battery when recording audio and video runs down in about an hour. I have an extra battery, so at least I can record most of the time. Studio time is $50 an hour. The engineer said it was okay to run my camera. I need to feel "ready" and some set-backs but will schedule soon. I look forward to listening to more of your songs, from a troubadour extraordinaire!

Top of the Evening!
    Winfred
    I appreciate the comments. "First Love, Last Love" was my first video ever. The TASCAM for me is better than a DAW as I have actual faders. The female BGV's is a session siger in Nashville. On "First Love, Last Love" I used Nashville Players, on "Cry of the Young", it's all me on the TASCAM DP24. I learned the hard way to hire the right people when I need em...

Keep at it, & one day you look up & realize you can do this...Good luck with your session

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveAlton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    I believe that when you set it to MOV, you do get the sound, but it's embedded in the video. When you have it set to MOV/WAV it keeps the audio separaste from the video. In anycase, for this exercise, you should not rely on the battery. Does the unit not come with a power supply?
    Hi gecko zzed!

SORRY AS I THOUGHT I POSTED THIS AND SEEMS I DIDN'T CLICK TO POST IT Very nice of you to respond! It only operates by battery, I think. I don't know where the little manual is right now as I type this, but because of it I think the reason I purchased an extra $35 battery was because they run down so quickly and do not plug into like an AC power pack. If I leave it on I think the battery lasts about one hour if I leave it on all the time. I'd have to change the battery once so I'll have the charger along. They charge slowly so maybe it would charge the battery 1/2 way, so I'd get half an hour out of it... so 2 1/2 hrs and recording my song that's a max of 3 min 26 sec. I've had some set-backs here and haven't scheduled yet. I also decided to have all new strings and give it a couple of days for the strings to stretch. It seems kind of humorous but I have an unpredictable problem of phlegm around my vocal cords that's bad sometime. I read an article that seemed convincing that if you moisten your vocal cords the problem will go away. The article linked to purchasing a "nebulizer" or portable battery operated device that you can attach either a mask to it that covers the nose and mouth, or a nozzle you stick in your mouth and breath in a mist of sterile saline solution. The nebulizer came from Amazon with the factory seal popped up from the glossy type of box it came in and dust and a piece of hair stuck to it, and the lid where you pour the saline solution in had finger prints. They were nice about it and are refunding me, only now I need to find a good nebulizer that's portable. I can't afford to get into the session at $50 an hour and have phlegm problems, so I won't go without bringing a nebulizer. I also bought a box of 100 sterile saline solution vials. It's all not cheap and came to $94 with shipping. So the next nebulizer I'm going to get at the same about $45 price. I think later today I will ride as a practice run to the studio just to see how long it takes me by bike.

Top of the Evening!
    Winfred

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I have a Zoom H5 and two Zoom Q2HD cameras. I'm quite sure all of them can be powered through the USB mini connectors. I use old phone chargers I scrounge at thrift stores for this kind of thing (mostly for charging or powering my GoPros). When wall power isn't convenient I use portable booster batteries, of the type used for cell phones, to extend the running time of USB powered GoPros and Sony Handycams.

Some cameras will "see" some USB power sources as a computer and go into file transfer mode. If you start the camera recording first then connect the power, they don't do that.

Hi Bouldersoundguy!

If you or anyone here don't have time for this I understand. Thanks again for your patience Bouldersoundguy and your advice with other hurdles I've had too! When I'm in that studio I won't be near a computer to use USB power. I have a Zoom LBC-1 battery charger

Amazon.com: Zoom LBC-1 Li-Ion Battery Charger, Charges the Zoom BT-02 and BT-03 Batteries: Musical Instruments

With a 3 ft cable it connects to a Zoom AC Adapter AD-17A/D Input:100-240V-50/60Hz Max 0.3A Output: 5V 1.0A

Amazon.com: Zoom AD-17 AC Adapter, 5V USB AC Power Adapter Designed for Use with F1, F6, H1, H1n, H2n, H5, H6, L8, R8, Q2n, Q2n-4k, Q4n, Q8, U-22, U-24, and U-44: Musical Instruments

Also when I bought the Zoom Q8 I bought an extra Zoom BT-03 re-chargeable battery.

Amazon.com: Zoom BT-03 Rechargable Lithium-Ion Battery for Q8: Musical Instruments

This is where I'll be Home Click on "Studio B" and I'll be in a big room with a stool and mic in the middle of the room, however I have to ask for a chair and use my portable foot stool of the kind classical guitarists use.

With my non-plug-in classical guitar I follow the rule not to use a strap. The studio will have to have a second mic for my guitar.

The studio is a 25 mile bike ride each way. I did a practice ride to the studio yesterday, Sunday, to time myself. I carried (about 20lbs) of food, water (all fountains closed with CoVid19), and extra things for weather changes in one side bag. At my rate, and with a lighter load, it was 3 1/2 hrs one way! I rode a risky busy avenue that cuts across the grid but might try a second trial run (I don't own a car) and take the Google Map longer route via bike paths. It's longer yet rated less time.

Do you or anyone here have suggestions? I suppose I could do some trick with the AD-17A/D AC Adapter by bringing an extension cord and plugging it into that to reach my camera. I see now on the back of my camera is a plug-in "5V" a lightening bolt symbol and "CGH" which I recall is the ability to charge the battery in the camera. I bought the LBC-1 battery charger so I could run the camera while I charge the battery. I suppose if I plug the AD-17A/D AC adapter into the extension cord, then with the cable plug it into the 5V port it will then run the camera off the 120v power, right? If I can that's great as I wouldn't have to worry about having to change my battery and have constant power indefinitely! My cover song averages at 3min 26sec but not sure how many takes or how long it takes in the studio and two engineers kind of evading giving me an estimate cost, just the $50 an hour rate. I hope it doesn't take 3 hrs.

I also for this have to order a nebulizer. I've read musicians who have problems with phlegm around the vocal cords, a real problem of mine... the real way to moisturize the vocal cords that are actually in the wind pipe is either with a steamer or a nebulizer. I'll get there early and use the nebulizer before I sing as I really can't afford to get there and have the phlegm problem. Thanks for any input. I am grateful for your help!

Carpe Diem!
    Winfred

Thanks
    Hi Steve!

Was fun to actually see and hear your music performance! I thought those mountains were in some exotic location in Spain or Portugal ha! The mountains I realize are arid around the LA area. You are a very professional and talented artist and videographer/sound engineer!

Top of the Day!
    Winfred

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post

Hi Steve!

Was fun to actually see and hear your music performance! I thought those mountains were in some exotic location in Spain or Portugal ha! The mountains I realize are arid around the LA area. You are a very professional and talented artist and videographer/sound engineer! It's something to think too that Leonard Cohen was I think in those same mountains as a Buddhist monk. At least I think that was around where he was.

Top of the Day!
    Winfred

Thread Information