If I wanted to make a video.....

I use zoom q4

You can see my comparisons on iPhone, zoom q4 TASCAM on youtube/user/daerney.
The zoom has really nice sound, is easy to use, has nice picture. The only draw back is it only records .MOV movie files. Windows has to have a converter for mov files or the sound gets dropped. The best way I have found is to record sound with zoom r-16 while recording video with Zoom q4. You can see this on my latest recoding of WALK AWAY RENEE. THE IPHONE 5 was used to record the live LOVE AT THE FIVE AND DIME. You can look at the different recordings I've made with different settings and cameras.
The GOPRO HERO was the other camera I was looking at but went with the Q4 for the good sound. It is very small, only has two zoom positions. Is really good for demo, music, or concert videos the .MOV does upload to youtube easily.

Much of what has been said above should be very useful to RAMI and others. In my situation, use the Nikon D7000 (new version D7100 I think) although much more expensive than what RAMI wanted to pay the results are excellent both as a still camera and as a video camera. The only video limitation (and I believe that it applies to all/most DSLR cameras is that it will only shoot a maximum of a 20 min scene, although very seldom in video/film making does a single scene last 20 mins --- note, I am not saying that the camera will only shoot for 20 mins , but rather any single video recording can only be recorded for that amount of time, the number of shoots available will depend upon the size of the SD card and the shooting resolution -- I use two 64g cards and shoot at maximum resolution and I always shoot RAW.

If you would like to see what a DSLR can achieve, there is an organisation in Australia who shoot single take video clips using multiple DSLR cameras all/most being controlled by amateur type photographers. Have a look at Sideshow Alley and look at some of their clips. I am not involved with this organisation by respect their work.

Someone mention the sound quality. For my camera, I designed/built a +4db to -50db pad so that I can connect a professional audio player to the camera's input --- do not try plugging such a device or any other audio source (eg walkman, MP3 player, computer output, mini disc, etc) into the camera's mic input as you have a fairly good chance of melting the camera's electronics. The pad I built also has a split so that I can feed the input of a portable PA system at the same time as the camera, thus allowing me to record stereo, CD quality audio in the camera and allowing the artist to mime the audio, thus allowing for perfect lip sync (assuming the artist can mime !!!!!) and also avoiding any camera noise or external ambient noise (ie trucks, barking dogs, etc).

My camera (and also the top range Canon EOS DSLR cameras) are regularly used on modern films and TV productions, especially where space makes the normal professional video cameras difficult to use --- I believe the TV series House and the academy award movie 127 House were shot using these cameras.

Someone above mentioned the Zoom camera. One of our artists ( who knows absolutely nothing about video production) recently purchased herself one of the Zoom cameras (unfortunately the unit she purchased does not have the ability to connect an external audio source so she can't record a professional sound) and has been churning out videos on a weekly basis, she has then been editing these and placing them on Youtube and her social media sites. All to great success -- her fan base has skyrocketed --- do a Youtube search for Rachael Nadine and her cover versions of Dream On, Shout For Tears and Dark Horse --- forget the audio quality, but look what a novice can achieve with a cheap Zoom camera and a bit of editing.

For a really good editing program that is quite cheap, have a look at the Serif MoviePlus X6 program.

But to get really professional results you need a camera like my Nikon (or Canon EOS) and a lot of training in video/film production. Remember that professional video making is exactly the same as professional audio making --- you need the best gear, lots of talent and many years of experience and training. In my case I have owned my own recording studio, record company and film/video company since the early 1960's and I am still learning and still am not too proud to ask those who I consider "experts" in their chosen field for help and advice. AND a good starting point for this is to go and speak to the experts in a number of photographic shops --- not the local supermarket who just happen to sell cameras at a good price !!!!!!

Hope all the above gives something to think about.

David

Guilty as charged !!!!!

What do you mean "Welcome" --- been here for at least 2 years !!!!!!!

AND, you call yourself a "Grumpy Old Bear" --- you should hear what my wife (and numerous others) calls me !!!! AND that's when I'm in a good mood !!!!!

David

Sorry, just haven't seen you around. Heard of the studio, though. My wife's a huge fan of Australia and we've done a lot of research. Her on how beautiful the shores are, me on how the music was made...Your idea of having a "wall-less" studio back in the day was revolutionary. Big enough for orchestra and able to record loud bands clean. Good stuff.

You can see my comparisons on iPhone, zoom q4 TASCAM on youtube/user/daerney.
The zoom has really nice sound, is easy to use, has nice picture. The only draw back is it only records .MOV movie files. Windows has to have a converter for mov files or the sound gets dropped. The best way I have found is to record sound with zoom r-16 while recording video with Zoom q4. You can see this on my latest recoding of WALK AWAY RENEE. THE IPHONE 5 was used to record the live LOVE AT THE FIVE AND DIME. You can look at the different recordings I've made with different settings and cameras.
The GOPRO HERO was the other camera I was looking at but went with the Q4 for the good sound. It is very small, only has two zoom positions. Is really good for demo, music, or concert videos the .MOV does upload to youtube easily.
I took a look at your cover of Just Walk Away Renee on YouTube. I like what you did musically -- you did more with the song than the original release. However, as far as video goes, it is the equivalent of using one of the minicassette dictation recorders for music. If you just want to document the fact that you sang the song, fine, but a single medium shot, front lit, shot on a high-contrast, low-dynamic range, grainy cellphone camera is not good video.

You're also mistaken about .mov files on Windows machines. Installing QuickTime for Windows provides the necessary codecs for .mov files, and virtually any decent editing program will handle .mov files. I edit in Premiere Pro CS4 and routinely work with .mov files (albeit not shot on cellphones).

Much of what has been said above should be very useful to RAMI and others. In my situation, use the Nikon D7000 (new version D7100 I think) although much more expensive than what RAMI wanted to pay the results are excellent both as a still camera and as a video camera. The only video limitation (and I believe that it applies to all/most DSLR cameras is that it will only shoot a maximum of a 20 min scene, although very seldom in video/film making does a single scene last 20 mins --- note, I am not saying that the camera will only shoot for 20 mins , but rather any single video recording can only be recorded for that amount of time, the number of shoots available will depend upon the size of the SD card and the shooting resolution -- I use two 64g cards and shoot at maximum resolution and I always shoot RAW.

If you would like to see what a DSLR can achieve, there is an organisation in Australia who shoot single take video clips using multiple DSLR cameras all/most being controlled by amateur type photographers. Have a look at Sideshow Alley and look at some of their clips. I am not involved with this organisation by respect their work.

Someone mention the sound quality. For my camera, I designed/built a +4db to -50db pad so that I can connect a professional audio player to the camera's input --- do not try plugging such a device or any other audio source (eg walkman, MP3 player, computer output, mini disc, etc) into the camera's mic input as you have a fairly good chance of melting the camera's electronics. The pad I built also has a split so that I can feed the input of a portable PA system at the same time as the camera, thus allowing me to record stereo, CD quality audio in the camera and allowing the artist to mime the audio, thus allowing for perfect lip sync (assuming the artist can mime !!!!!) and also avoiding any camera noise or external ambient noise (ie trucks, barking dogs, etc).

My camera (and also the top range Canon EOS DSLR cameras) are regularly used on modern films and TV productions, especially where space makes the normal professional video cameras difficult to use --- I believe the TV series House and the academy award movie 127 House were shot using these cameras.

Someone above mentioned the Zoom camera. One of our artists ( who knows absolutely nothing about video production) recently purchased herself one of the Zoom cameras (unfortunately the unit she purchased does not have the ability to connect an external audio source so she can't record a professional sound) and has been churning out videos on a weekly basis, she has then been editing these and placing them on Youtube and her social media sites. All to great success -- her fan base has skyrocketed --- do a Youtube search for Rachael Nadine and her cover versions of Dream On, Shout For Tears and Dark Horse --- forget the audio quality, but look what a novice can achieve with a cheap Zoom camera and a bit of editing.

For a really good editing program that is quite cheap, have a look at the Serif MoviePlus X6 program.

But to get really professional results you need a camera like my Nikon (or Canon EOS) and a lot of training in video/film production. Remember that professional video making is exactly the same as professional audio making --- you need the best gear, lots of talent and many years of experience and training. In my case I have owned my own recording studio, record company and film/video company since the early 1960's and I am still learning and still am not too proud to ask those who I consider "experts" in their chosen field for help and advice. AND a good starting point for this is to go and speak to the experts in a number of photographic shops --- not the local supermarket who just happen to sell cameras at a good price !!!!!!

Hope all the above gives something to think about.

David
All good points, David.

One suggestion re: sound: There is absolutely no reason why the device that records the video, i.e. the camera or a computer or something else, has to be the device that records the audio. Particularly with digital audio, there is no reason to record the audio to the same medium as the video. In Hollywood, this is called "wild sound" and virtually everything is done that way. Syncing is very, very easy in an editor -- that's why Hollywood uses slapper slates -- it give a clear video and audio cue that makes syncing a breeze. Just match up the "slap" sound with the moment the slappers connect and you're in business.

Something like an H2 is perfect for recording wild sound -- I've used it when I was shooting my amateur travel documentaries, though I've also used miniDisc recorders. All of this is with external microphones, of course.

Hey Rami, lots of advice already. I might move this to the Video section because it does have a good conversation that could benefit others searching for the same answers. I'll keep it here for a few more days.

My thoughts, if you care anymore, is buy something cheap and try it out. Get something that does 1080p, but don't spend money on a DLSR just yet (unless you're rich). There is a lot of work that goes into video production and it is mostly before you shoot video. Creating ideas and such, thinking about lighting and everything. You might do one or two videos and realize you don't have the time or energy or desire to do more. Hate to see you waste money on equipment that would collect dust.

As for me, I've done a few and I've got the desire to do more, but I don't have the ideas or the time to think up the ideas. :(

Syncing is very, very easy in an editor -- that's why Hollywood uses slapper slates -- it give a clear video and audio cue that makes syncing a breeze. Just match up the "slap" sound with the moment the slappers connect and you're in business.

There are iPhone apps that can do this too. :)

The video is just something I enjoy posting for family, friends. I'm not very proficient with video. Focus more on the sound. Wanted something easy. I have read about using a couple cameras then splicing and editing the video. Just switched to PC after years of Mac and haven't found a decent, reasonably priced video editor. I am just starting to want to dabble in the video side of my music. Have a very long way to go.

The video is just something I enjoy posting for family, friends. I'm not very proficient with video. Focus more on the sound. Wanted something easy. I have read about using a couple cameras then splicing and editing the video. Just switched to PC after years of Mac and haven't found a decent, reasonably priced video editor. I am just starting to want to dabble in the video side of my music. Have a very long way to go.
Using more than one camera is called "iso" -- it's the way sitcoms are shot. If it's just for fun, it doesn't really matter, but if you wanted to do something more with the project, I'd not recommend it, as you must match the cameras carefully for both color and gamma.

Any video editing software that has more than one video track would let you do this.

Back