Free Video Editing Software...I need suggestions, please.

loveofjazz

Sheep Defiler
I'm looking for suggestions for free video editing software.

It's been suggested that I use DaVinci Resolve. I'm looking in to it, but video editing is new to me. I just want to know what other valid options that are available.
If you have suggestions and experience with any other free video editing software, please share.

Thanks ahead of time for any info y'all can offer.
-jimbo

Hi! As far as I know, there's nothing that can compete with DaVinci Resolve without having to pay. Learn to use it, at first it may seem complicated, but it gives great satisfaction in the long run.

If you are used to using DAW software you might get on better with Reaper. Its video editing isn't as sophisticated as Resolve but it does all the basics. Vegas also works in a similar way but is more expensive.

I don't know if Blender will run on other operating systems besides Linux, I think it will. but it works, its free, there is a learning curve. I have used it to make 5 videos so far.
Download — blender.org
From what I see you can do just about anything with it. 3d animation to video sequencing.

Blender looks like its available for both Windows and Mac, as well as Linux, but I don't see anything about it editing video files like you would get from a camera, just animations and stuff.

Does it actually allow you to edit things like H.264 or Mpeg4 video along with effects?

As far as I know yes. It can do all the things the big boys do as far as I know. I just haven't gotten there yet. If you click on the link I provided you can see what can be done with just a little bit of knowledge. I know you can import mp4s and movie clips etc. I haven't needed that but one of these days I will get around to trying it.

Back