Compression & Youtube

anoopbal

How do you minimize the youtube compression on your songs and thereby lowering the quality?

Do you master your songs before uploading it you tube? I am curious since mastering involves a slight compression, will the song be overcompreessed when you uplaod it youtube.

thanks!

Upload in the best quality you can. It'll take an age to process but you'll get a decent result.

I think you are confusing audio compression with data compression.

Master it so that it sounds good. Then upload the wav file, not an mp3. Then youtube will be the one doing the audio compression once, instead of it resampling an mp3 file that you already made.

Thanks for all the replies. I used Sony Vegas but it has so many variables that I am confused which to use. Someone could post a snapshot of what settings they use.

If I mix the vocals in 16 bits, will it become better if I convert it into 48bit video? Or will it ruin it?

16 bit is fine. I doubt that it will make a difference if you render it at 48k or 44.1k. But there is no need to go any higher with the sample rate.

16 bit, 44.1k will be fine.

I believe 16bit is still the standard when you go uploading something on the web.
Also, 48k or higher probably makes sense if you're into mastering a record.

Also keep in mind more and more youtube users are coming from mobile devices and I doubt they have Genelec speakers on their smartphones :)

Back