Collaborative Video in the C-19 Era

keith.rogers

A local open mic host created a ["virtual open mic"] Facebook group to give us a place to post stuff and at the same time promote local businesses that have been supportive of live music. Someone suggested doing something with input from multiple folks, and in a weak moment I raised my hand. I learned a lot about how to write instructions, if nothing else :).

Anywho, here's the result of assembling input ranging from phone videos, MP3s and random jpgs, even a couple Garage Band projects with stills. Took a couple days last week. (The mix is basically me aligning the pieces, and then doing some tweaks asked for by the participants, i.e., probably not what I'd have done in the fullness of time and with other inputs.)

Very cool idea.
Well, obviously, not my idea :). I'm a big fan of those Playing for Change videos of folks from around the world. The most recent one of The Weight has been going around and that's what prompted the thread about doing something like it. Well, a far cry, and nobody is going place to place to do the recording, alas. But, when this is over, I am definitely going to do that. I have the equipment - just never considered trying to put anything together. I kind of got lucky with this because I had no idea what I was going to get since it was "hey, who wants to participate?" that pulled them in.

Trying to drum up some interest a little farther away for the next one with old bandmates from like 40 years back here and there. We'll see how that goes!

I can see how much of an undertaking this project can be. A lot of contributors and you never know what they are going to bring. Try doing it with kids someday. :)

My only comment is what you brought to it. I kinda wish you didn't look like you were reading something or staring at a monitor while you were playing. Like your attention was elsewhere. A live audience off-camera or the camera audience would have worked better for you and would have matched the other contributions a little more closely.

All in all glad it worked out for you. And thanks for promoting businesses that support live music. We definitely need more of that!!!!

My only comment is what you brought to it. I kinda wish you didn't look like you were reading something or staring at a monitor while you were playing. Like your attention was elsewhere. A live audience off-camera or the camera audience would have worked better for you and would have matched the other contributions a little more closely.
FWIW, I *was* reading the words, because this was me recording the full backing track while the phone recorded, and I decided to sing my assigned verse. I kind of took it like all the rest of the input, i.e., without comment. And someone has to set the low bar ;).

Well, obviously, not my idea :). I'm a big fan of those Playing for Change videos of folks from around the world. The most recent one of The Weight has been going around and that's what prompted the thread about doing something like it. Well, a far cry, and nobody is going place to place to do the recording, alas. But, when this is over, I am definitely going to do that. I have the equipment - just never considered trying to put anything together. I kind of got lucky with this because I had no idea what I was going to get since it was "hey, who wants to participate?" that pulled them in.

Trying to drum up some interest a little farther away for the next one with old bandmates from like 40 years back here and there. We'll see how that goes!

Yeah, I have seen this done before but I still think it is cool for people to try, especially nowadays.

Speaking of "The Weight" this guy did it years ago in a very similar way.

Back