Backdrop Screens

Flamenquero

Greetings. I am new here.

1. I am looking for a portable backdrop screen to put in my living room while I video record myself. The screen would go up when I record and then be put away afterward. I would be playing my guitar in front of the backdrop, so I would need a color that wouldn't fight me for the light. I guess something in a darker color than my skin. I experimented with the off-white color of my living room walls and I came out as only a dark shadow. I have an olive-Mediterranean skin complexion, so any color suggestions that contrast with that would be appreciated.

2. Any suggestions on a portable lighting tower would also be appreciated. The light would have to be put away after the recording as well. I think I need more light thrown on my face again due to my features of complexion and high cheekbones which makes the eye sockets look deeper and hence more shadowy then what they actually are.

Thanks.

Go to B&H for video supplies. They've got everything.

If you can DIY it, you can build lights from 48" fluorescent lights for not a lot of money.

Thank you sir. That website has a lot of stuff. I just noticed they sell "green" screens which got my curiosity up, so I did some further research which led me to discover "video stock." So apparently I can video record myself in my living room in front of this green screen and then drop in the video stock so that it looks like I am playing from some castle in Spain. This is nice.

Yup, Use a video editor like Sony vegas and green screening is fairly simple. The trick is to get a consistent color across the greenscreen. To do that, remove the wrinkles in the fabric and illuminate it evenly across the whole screen with good lighting.

Then it's best if you already know what footage or image you are going to use for the background before you video yourself. Then try to match lighting angles of yourself to the lighting that is in the footage you'll use for the background. Kind of weird to see the main lighting coming from your left when the castle is lit from the sun on the right. know what I mean?

What's your budget for the lighting? I'd steer clear from the green screen for now, without knowledge of lighting and editing - not to mention shooting with the same focal length and DOF it'll just look cheap... :)
You can make your living room wall look good with proper lighting. Light yourself a bit more than the wall and maybe put a colored light on the wall. Boom - looking very very good.

Back