Any Zoom q8 camera tutorials on how to best use it for a musician's video?

Winfred

Hi!

Does anyone own a Zoom q8 video camcorder? You'd think there would be good tutorial videos on how musicians can best use it by now as it was I think introduced in 2015. I just received mine and the owner's manual is not good, although I'm carefully reading it. It's better than nothing. I like tutorial videos and the ones I find on YouTube are mainly, unboxings, reviews, and rushed tutorials that partially explain the q8 uses.

I have two large diaphragm mics from long ago, and I can use them with the q8 48 volt phantom power, which is why I bought the camera. I want to make a nice quality video of myself playing acoustic guitar and singing mainly my original music and some covers as my debut to test my music out on the public. I also want good audio where I can in the future maybe post some of my originals for sale at like Spotify or SoundCloud etc. At the Zoom company site they have a title like it's how to use the q8 but it's only really emphasizing how great the camera is. At Zoom you'll see write-ups on how to use it but it's for businesses and how to have webinares, from the company or business oriented perspective. Any links as to where I can go, or good instructions to read if I have to, please let me know. I'm grateful for any input as I'm new to video.

Kindest Regards,
Winfred

Here is a basic run through of the functions on the Q8. She also has a few other videos, and seems to be doing the same thing as you want to do, so you might want to look at some of her other videos.

Because you can independently set up your microphones for the audio and camera for video, you should really just focus on each part, i.e., how to set up two microphones for audio recording, which implies microphone placement, room acoustics, your own performance, etc., and the video aspect, with framing, lighting, etc.

Then, evaluate each part separately. Even though you can record them on one device together, you should treat the audio separately, and learn how to mix that as an audio file, then do the same with the video (minus audio) to correct whatever you can, adjust color, introduce motion, titles, and so on. Sync the two in your video editor when you've got both parts as good as possible, and then move on to the next project, which will be easier, and likely better.

Here is a basic run through of the functions on the Q8. She also has a few other videos, and seems to be doing the same thing as you want to do, so you might want to look at some of her other videos.

Hi TalismanRich!

Very nice of you to take the time to respond, and so helpful! I voted with a Like and also Subscribed to your two videos on the Q8, the "Unboxing Demo Review", and your, "Zoom 8 Screen Functions". You provide a great service to new users of the Zoom Q8! I have a slow, well substantially flat as a pancake learning curve, and seeking several angles on tutorials before it sinks in ha! I just started this morning about how I would tell someone else to get a bran new Zoom Q8 started as part of my learning process. I need details on like what techy kind of settings I need to achieve the highest video and audio resolutions I can attain. I have two very nice, a matched pair, of large diaphragm condenser mics I purchased 17 yrs ago back when I had money, and when I recorded my solo piano music with the now obsolete M-Box by Digidesign. My plan is to use the condenser mics and record just myself playing an old non-plug-in acoustic guitar and my singing and sometimes my harmonica I wear on a brace around my neck.

I might hire someone to go over my basic video and do fine tunings like cutting out when I'm pressing the "record" button and sitting down or vice versa, or adjust the value or intensity of the light to make me look better (ha), and maybe besides just me playing guitar make it more visually interesting and add in nice scenes etc. I was told viewers actually like to see the musician so they can tell what chords you're playing, so maybe for one verse show that and the rest added in visuals which I learned means "editing", and also if needed "mastering" of the audio. I want good audio so if I get a lot of hits (one in a million ha) I can maybe, just maybe, and of course only with my original music, post it for sale on Spotify or Sound Cloud, one of those sites, but that's a big maybe. So I need to keep seeing different tutorials if you might know of yet more, yet I will review yours several times and keep on seeking things out, combined with the owner's manual, so anyone else also reading this let me know of any more tutorials I can view. By the way... you have a very nice rich voice and nice like flat picking and love your 12 string guitar sound! You are a talented one!

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

Because you can independently set up your microphones for the audio and camera for video, you should really just focus on each part, i.e., how to set up two microphones for audio recording, which implies microphone placement, room acoustics, your own performance, etc., and the video aspect, with framing, lighting, etc.

Then, evaluate each part separately. Even though you can record them on one device together, you should treat the audio separately, and learn how to mix that as an audio file, then do the same with the video (minus audio) to correct whatever you can, adjust color, introduce motion, titles, and so on. Sync the two in your video editor when you've got both parts as good as possible, and then move on to the next project, which will be easier, and likely better.

Hi Keith!

Thanks again for your taking the time for me! I am very grateful. I see what you mean but get worried about myself, the amateur, and not merge the audio with the video accurately thus audio and video being out of sync. When editing them separately, or I should say if I have my terms correctly, "edit" the video, and separately "master" the audio, is it then more conducive to the system's design to create a better end product? Conversely, is it more technically difficult to both edit and master together in the same main "track". (I might have the term "track" wrong.)

Top of the Day!
Winfred

Hi Keith!

Thanks again for your taking the time for me! I am very grateful. I see what you mean but get worried about myself, the amateur, and not merge the audio with the video accurately thus audio and video being out of sync. When editing them separately, or I should say if I have my terms correctly, "edit" the video, and separately "master" the audio, is it then more conducive to the system's design to create a better end product? Conversely, is it more technically difficult to both edit and master together in the same main "track". (I might have the term "track" wrong.)

Top of the Day!
Winfred
It depends a lot on what software you will be using. You can edit both in the same applications in some cases, though you will almost never get all the features that a video- or audio-specific application provides. I believe you can include video in Reaper, and I know Final Cut Pro X includes some of the features of Logic Pro X, but to be clear, "real" movie/video production involves entirely separate audio and video recording, which are edited separately in post to make sure each is as good as possible, and then they are combined.

The sync is not hard - use a clapboard or a couple sharp/loud sounds at the beginning (which will get trimmed out in the final edit), and you can visually align the audio waveform with the video's waveform or simply the motions. Maybe a tiny bit tedious, but it doesn't take long. Or you do all of your audio work with the full length recording, focusing only on the part that will be actually used, but keep the full track length as recorded. Then it should simply align correctly to the beginning of the video. Then do your trimming. (And some video software can automatically sync - opinions differ on how good of a job that does, but it's worth trying if your edit includes that feature.)

It depends a lot on what software you will be using. You can edit both in the same applications in some cases, though you will almost never get all the features that a video- or audio-specific application provides. I believe you can include video in Reaper, and I know Final Cut Pro X includes some of the features of Logic Pro X, but to be clear, "real" movie/video production involves entirely separate audio and video recording, which are edited separately in post to make sure each is as good as possible, and then they are combined.

The sync is not hard - use a clapboard or a couple sharp/loud sounds at the beginning (which will get trimmed out in the final edit), and you can visually align the audio waveform with the video's waveform or simply the motions. Maybe a tiny bit tedious, but it doesn't take long. Or you do all of your audio work with the full length recording, focusing only on the part that will be actually used, but keep the full track length as recorded. Then it should simply align correctly to the beginning of the video. Then do your trimming. (And some video software can automatically sync - opinions differ on how good of a job that does, but it's worth trying if your edit includes that feature.)

Hi Keith!

Great advice! I am not savvy to such programs and separating audio and video and enhancing separately after recording, yet of course after one purchases such programs there's most likely how-to instructions. Are there tutorials you know of separately on that, meaning without having to purchase first? I learned that there's one for $60... name is in my notes somewhere, (Reaper?), but that was where you both edit the video and master the audio all in one, so poorer quality, right? I did notice in my notes where I think in another thread, and I should have kept the link in my notes too but didn't, where you advised someone, "I'd record full HD (1080p) and 48kHz/24-bit WAV for best quality." I think you were referring to the Q8, right?

Do you know of any tutorials with step by step setting up the Q8 for best resolution possible and best audio quality possible (best using my condenser mics too)? I think in my cut and paste notes you were speaking of the Q8 or I wouldn't have included that. I looked at a very nice Deb Enery intro, two of them, on YouTube where one of them you'll see above, but just wondering if you might know of others too as in my case the more angles on this the better, or maybe something to read. I did find an article by Ty Ford that's very good, but his book I'm thinking is over my head and not as specific to the q8. If you don't have time for this I fully understand and sorry if I'm being redundant in any way.

Top of the Day!
Winfred

I have not gone through tutorials on the software - just kind learned as I went along, and then, of course, searched the web for information on specific techniques. There are *lots* of folks with more experience and info than me - I'm just sharing what I've done!

The video and audio quality settings are basic for HD rendered videos you might upload to YouTube or Facebook. Any modern camera/camcorder or phone and audio recorder should support those, not just the Q8. In fact, they are becoming kind of the low bar for some who have gone to 4k video and 96kHz (don't get me started) audio. I cannot afford the computing power for those, and the vast majority of watches or listens to anything I do ends up being consumed on a phone or maybe computer with computer speakers or earbuds/headphones. Nobody complains :)

I have not gone through tutorials on the software - just kind learned as I went along, and then, of course, searched the web for information on specific techniques. There are *lots* of folks with more experience and info than me - I'm just sharing what I've done!

The video and audio quality settings are basic for HD rendered videos you might upload to YouTube or Facebook. Any modern camera/camcorder or phone and audio recorder should support those, not just the Q8. In fact, they are becoming kind of the low bar for some who have gone to 4k video and 96kHz (don't get me started) audio. I cannot afford the computing power for those, and the vast majority of watches or listens to anything I do ends up being consumed on a phone or maybe computer with computer speakers or earbuds/headphones. Nobody complains :)

Hi Keith!

You are very patient with my amateur-ness! Thanks again for such helpful info! I feel a little better now about 96Khz as I don't even think my q8 can record at that level, and my computer is "duo-core", 3.0 cpu, 2.0 USB, 8GB RAM, a business grade computer I bought used and is I think 8 yrs old. Is recording in MOV/WAV mode any better for some reason? If the very rare chance some of my original songs get a lot of clicks I might try to sell them on Spotify or Sound Cloud I think they are called, meaning the audio part of my YouTube video uploaded from my computer to Spotify etc... I think another one of those music sales places is called Band Camp or Band Festival, and try them all. I heard that when you upload to YouTube your music, YouTube does some things that degrades the quality as I guess they shrink the file size down so your video doesn't take as much space. If the slim chance someone were to buy my song at like Spotify and listen, would it then be possible they are not just listening on earbuds, or the little computer speakers? Is the difference a lot between 48Hz and 96Hz? I might get a "mechanical license" if the very narrow chance my cover song gets a lot of hits.

If you don't have time for this I understand. I also understand too I have to really do my homework as there is no easy way into this. It's just that I dread all the technical things but must realize that's the reality if one wants to get others to listen to their music. 17 years ago I did it with my solo piano CD's. In fact they are still being sold on Amazon and not long ago 3 were up for $65 each and two weeks later they were gone! Also one was for sale in Japan for $85 and that disappeared! For fun I go there sometimes to see how they are selling, (I don't make any money from it.) and sometimes they are for just for $3 used yet $5 shipping... I sold about 4,000 copies but a lot of work and to keep my cost down used low budget equipment. I'm hoping my two condenser mics, a matched pair, from those days will make my audio more manageable as with my test videos with the q8 so far and using only the onboard mic my old nylon string guitar for some reason dominates over my voice and with 2 mics maybe I can manage that better...

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

Hi Again Keith!

I'm thinking more about what you advise. You say, "real" movie/video production involves entirely separate audio and video recording, which are edited separately in post to make sure each is as good as possible, and then they are combined. Do you mean that besides the q8 maybe set somehow just to record video, that I should have a separate means to record audio and later merge them together for best quality? I still have new and factory sealed since early January a Scarlet 2i2 3rd Generation digitizer. Do they call that device "audio interface"? Originally all I was going to do was record audio like I did 17 yrs ago with my solo piano CD's. I then thought I should try to post on YouTube instead, so I made a foolish mistake buying the Scarlet. I was thinking of selling my Scarlet on like Craig's List with much greater chance being it still factory sealed and 3rd Generation... Would the Scarlet work better than the audio from the Q8? Do you mean I should be using some other kind of audio interface than what's in the little Q8? If you don't have time I fully understand.

Thanks!
Winfred

Hi Keith!

I'm embarrassed and need to copy/paste notes into my main folder about the q8! I slipped and asked about using my Scarlet without re-reading things. Again my poor learning curve proves itself!! Sorry!!! I see now the treatment of audio and video can be separated or separate within whatever software I choose to buy. Is there an all-in-one software as I think you or someone said you can't edit and master separately in like Reaper, a cheaper software. I need something as user friendly as possible.

So your helpful feedback has answered my question after all about my still having my bran new Scarlet 2i2 sealed in the box since early January and just do it all from my Q8, right? Then after recording learn to separately treat video and audio within the proper software. I suppose then I must buy some of those expensive ones to do that, like "Las Vegas" I think one is that they like a lot. Do you know of any softwares that are more user friendly but good quality? I also want to find at sites like "Pixabay", or "Shutterstock" video clips to add in instead of the video just being me playing the guitar all the time, like beautiful cloud videos to go with my debut cover song, "Both Sides Now". I also got an email next day from Sony Music I can use Joni Mitchell's song for nothing and they are going to monetize it so they get any money if it makes anything! I feel really blessed that way as I think that's unusual! I'll be lucky if I get any clicks, but hoping to attract enough to see how they like my music. Thanks so much for all! If you don't have time I fully understand!

Top of the Evening!
Winfred

Do you mean that besides the q8 maybe set somehow just to record video, that I should have a separate means to record audio and later merge them together for best quality?

The Q8 is probably a pretty decent live audio recording device. From what I've seen its video recording is a little limited. Without a zoom function (ironic) or more control over exposure and white balance there are things it simply can't do. I have a Zoom H5, which is like your Q8 minus the video function. And I have a bunch of actual camcorders and GoPro cameras. It's not that hard to record audio and video on separate devices and putting it all together. You just match up the good audio track to the camera audio, then mute the camera audio.

The audio section of the Q8 is supposed to be the same as the H5 which is audio only. If you set the the microphones correctly, you shouldn't really see a difference between using the Q8 and going to a different audio recorder. In the case of the 2i2, you are only going to be able to record 2 audio tracks anyway, which is the same as with the Q8. I don't see much advantage unless you are going to be doing a lot of overdubbing.

Real movie productions do use separate streams, but they also do things in small bits with multiple cameras. In many productions, the audio stream will be rerecorded later under controlled conditions. Everything is then assembled, which is a tedious process. You could do the same thing by making an audio recording and then setting up the video and "lip syncing" along, IF you are willing to spend the time to reassemble the portions, and are good enough to replicate a recording multiple times. If you are planning to do a live shoot, then the Q8 should be more than capable. Think of it as the difference between a music video and a concert video.

If you create a multitrack audio with a single video track on the Q8 (you have 4 audio tracks available), then things should be properly synced up, but you need be able to mix the audio portion to get it sounding its best. I know you can do this with PowerDirector/AudioDirector from Cyberlink, and I believe Reaper can do the same. I'm sure that a lots of other programs can do the same. That is what I have done using an 8 channel audio track from an R24 and video from my Sanyo 2000HD. Ultimately, I create a stereo track to link to the video.

If you are primarily working JUST in stereo, then you probably won't be doing a lot of mixing. You may be doing some adjustments of EQ or compression, adding in some effects, such as reverb. In that case, something like Reaper might be all you really need.

As for recording in MOV format or MOV/WAV format, the best way to determine that would be to do a recording in each and see if you can tell the difference. Technically, I would think MOV/WAV would be better as the WAV format is a lossless uncompressed format. Your video program should be able to handle both.
Ultimately, if you produce an MP4 video, the audio will be converted to AAC format, as that is the standard for video recording these days.

If you have the equipment, I would start by making some videos and seeing how things look and sound. I learn by doing, not by reading. If I get stuck, I try to find an answer elsewhere, but nothing is a substitute for practice. Set up that camera, set up the mics and have a go. If it doesn't sound right, moving things around. Eventually you'll find a setup that works. Don't worry about producing sellable videos the first time you hit the record button.

The Q8 is probably a pretty decent live audio recording device. From what I've seen its video recording is a little limited. Without a zoom function (ironic) or more control over exposure and white balance there are things it simply can't do. I have a Zoom H5, which is like your Q8 minus the video function. And I have a bunch of actual camcorders and GoPro cameras. It's not that hard to record audio and video on separate devices and putting it all together. You just match up the good audio track to the camera audio, then mute the camera audio.

Hi bouldersoundguy!

Again you take the time to lend a hand with your great obervations and knowledge of the recording world! I bought in early January a Scarlet 2i2 3rd Generation audio interface as originally all I was going to do with my 17 yr old matched pair of condenser mics is record myself playing my non-plug-in nylong string guitar and my singing. It was a foolish mistake. The Scarlet still is in the factory sealed box. Being at a major juncture in my life in many ways stalling about how many techy things I'd have to learn to get studio quality like I attained 17 yrs ago with my little M-Box by Digidesign now obsolete. Do you think if I used the Scarlet with my 2 condenser mics that the audio would be better than the Q8 audio? Also, would I need a higher quality editing program to merge the q8 video with the Scarlet's audio? I'm guessing I'd need something more than like the $60 Reaper and need the $300 I think it is for Las Vegas... What kind of program would I need? If you don't have time I fully understand. Thanks very much for all of your patience. I am very grateful for your fine advice.

Top of the Evening!
Winfred

I don't think the Scarlett would be noticably better quality, but I think it would be more convenient if you're going to record studio style, laying down a guitar track first then overdubbing a vocal. For live performance the convenience features probably don't matter.

It seems that most audio recording software will do a track of video, so you can do it all in one program. While I'm a fan of Vegas Pro, I don't think you need all it can do at this point. Reaper does audio just as well and can do simple video editing. If you want to get into video editing for real then try Resolve or HitFilm for free or demo Vegas Pro or some other pro editing software.

Hi Again Keith!

I'm thinking more about what you advise. You say, "real" movie/video production involves entirely separate audio and video recording, which are edited separately in post to make sure each is as good as possible, and then they are combined. Do you mean that besides the q8 maybe set somehow just to record video, that I should have a separate means to record audio and later merge them together for best quality? I still have new and factory sealed since early January a Scarlet 2i2 3rd Generation digitizer. Do they call that device "audio interface"? Originally all I was going to do was record audio like I did 17 yrs ago with my solo piano CD's. I then thought I should try to post on YouTube instead, so I made a foolish mistake buying the Scarlet. I was thinking of selling my Scarlet on like Craig's List with much greater chance being it still factory sealed and 3rd Generation... Would the Scarlet work better than the audio from the Q8? Do you mean I should be using some other kind of audio interface than what's in the little Q8? If you don't have time I fully understand.

Thanks!
Winfred

I don't think the Scarlett would be noticably better quality, but I think it would be more convenient if you're going to record studio style, laying down a guitar track first then overdubbing a vocal. For live performance the convenience features probably don't matter.

It seems that most audio recording software will do a track of video, so you can do it all in one program. While I'm a fan of Vegas Pro, I don't think you need all it can do at this point. Reaper does audio just as well and can do simple video editing. If you want to get into video editing for real then try Resolve or HitFilm for free or demo Vegas Pro or some other pro editing software.

Hi Bouldersoundguy!

I'm lucky I can learn one system. Is it easy to acclimate from Reaper to Las Vegas Pro? Maybe Las Vegas Pro is more complex and difficult to learn than Reaper, so that's a factor too... Do you mean "laying down a guitar track first" by doing that "studio style" with the Scarlet, then later the video with the Q8, then going back and merging them together? Why is that better than recording them together?

I just learned what the "MOV/WAV" setting really does with the Q8, where it will record the video in MOV, and the WAV in audio separately but at the same time (so it seems...) so later I can do like you advise and like Keith was advising too... to edit the video and master the audio separately then later merging them together. I am not comfortable being that fluent with the system to take those extra steps. Are such steps a lot more difficult than recording the audio and video already in sync together? If you record them together they can't be separated? Can I record them separately with the Q8 and keep things all in one unit rather than involving the Scarlet too?

Sorry about all my questions. If you don't have time I fully understand. I am very grateful for all! Today I'm going to get brave and finally set up my condenser mics on the stands, plug them into the Q8, and try recording. I'm hoping my old non-plug-in nylon string guitar won't sound kind of twangy or rubber-bandish like it did when I recorded a few days ago, my debut recordings, using the onboard mic. I have shock mounts and pop screens for both mics, so of course one near my guitar, and the other for my voice. It's going to be hard to adjust gain though as I have to reach for the camera to do so.

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

PS Do you mean first recording myself playing the song with no sound, then going back at a different time and playing the same song, then mastering editing etc separately and later merging them together? Won't that not look right? The way I play I go by something like my emotions and the way things feel or if a certain chord is having some impact on me in relation to the song that alters my "journey" so to speak with the song. It will look like some of those old movies where people's lips are moving and later the sound comes in, very distracting... Sorry if I'm interpreting things wrong!

Last edited:
By studio style I mean not recording a live performance video at all. The Scarlett is designed for studio recording where you might build things up one instrument at a time. A video could be recorded after the fact by lip syncing just like thousands of music videos from famous acts. If you're going to record that way the Scarlett is the better tool.

If you're going to record live performances then the Q8 might be simpler.

It wouldn't be too hard to go from Reaper to Vegas Pro (no "Las"). They work in fairly similar ways, more similar than either one is to Pro Tools or some other DAWs. But I suggest Reaper because you could get into single camera videos pretty easily using it for free for a while. If you get serious about video editing you could switch to Vegas Pro.

Syncing audio to video is really not that hard when you've got a reference audio track, even if they aren't recorded on the same device. To make it really easy just clap once before a take then line up the visible spike in the two audio tracks.

Hi Again Keith!

Thanks!
Winfred
Probably not a big difference on whether you use the 2i2 or Q8 for audio recording, as [MENTION=103008]bouldersoundguy[/MENTION] says. Just get long enough cables so you can position the camera correctly for the video framing and then place the mics for best audio. I would record using the MOV+WAV mode of the Q8 (just scanned the manual), 48kHz/24-bit, and then copy/upload the audio files into your audio DAW.You can even include the LR built-in mics if you want (disable stereo link so you have separate, mono files for each microphone, whether using 2 or 4 inputs).

Really, just open the manual and start recording. See what happens. (You could probably have been recording with the 2i2 and a smartphone [video] for 4 months now and have learned a lot about mixing in that time!)

I've been repeating this kind of information to so many folks lately with various devices and setups I apologize if I'm repeating myself or starting to sound tired...

By studio style I mean not recording a live performance video at all. The Scarlett is designed for studio recording where you might build things up one instrument at a time. A video could be recorded after the fact by lip syncing just like thousands of music videos from famous acts. If you're going to record that way the Scarlett is the better tool.

If you're going to record live performances then the Q8 might be simpler.

It wouldn't be too hard to go from Reaper to Vegas Pro (no "Las"). They work in fairly similar ways, more similar than either one is to Pro Tools or some other DAWs. But I suggest Reaper because you could get into single camera videos pretty easily using it for free for a while. If you get serious about video editing you could switch to Vegas Pro.

Syncing audio to video is really not that hard when you've got a reference audio track, even if they aren't recorded on the same device. To make it really easy just clap once before a take then line up the visible spike in the two audio tracks.

Hi Bouldersoundguy!

Thanks for all! I finally got brave and set up my two condenser mics on their stands first time in 17 yrs, shock mounts, pop screens, XLR cables ready. It's just a trial in my apt with the thin walls and tonight I'll keep a low profile and go to a room in the basement of the high-rise I live in that's very quiet and attempt my best, best of three tries... for my debut to post on YouTube. Going by much appreciated advice I'll get Reaper as you mention it's easy to go from there to Las Vegas Pro later. Does Las Vegas regular level cost the same as Reaper and is also a more amateur version? Should I maybe start with regular Las Vegas and not the "Pro" or start with Reaper? Just asking to be sure.

In the q8 I'm not comfortable clicking on MOV/WAV and working both audio and video separately later. I put it on MOV which I guess means it records both audio and video together, right?

So in the "Recording" Mode window I have "Create" set at MOV, "Video" set at HD1080/30 24M, "Audio" set at WAV 96/24 (Does that also mean it will record in "stereo"?)

"Camera" I have at "Scene" set at Auto because I don't exactly trust trying Jazz Club or the special settings yet.

I already set the date and time the other day.

I won't record anything and try my luck if you or anyone might respond to that. You wrote 2 hrs ago so maybe you might see this, or someone. I just want to try singing one song to see how it sounds with my condenser mics for the first time, then pack things in my little laundry cart to be ready to go to the basement tonight for three serious tries. If you don't have time I understand. Thanks for all!

Carpe Diem
Winfred

Back