Any Zoom q8 camera tutorials on how to best use it for a musician's video?

Probably not a big difference on whether you use the 2i2 or Q8 for audio recording, as [MENTION=103008]bouldersoundguy[/MENTION] says. Just get long enough cables so you can position the camera correctly for the video framing and then place the mics for best audio. I would record using the MOV+WAV mode of the Q8 (just scanned the manual), 48kHz/24-bit, and then copy/upload the audio files into your audio DAW.You can even include the LR built-in mics if you want (disable stereo link so you have separate, mono files for each microphone, whether using 2 or 4 inputs).

Really, just open the manual and start recording. See what happens. (You could probably have been recording with the 2i2 and a smartphone [video] for 4 months now and have learned a lot about mixing in that time!)

I've been repeating this kind of information to so many folks lately with various devices and setups I apologize if I'm repeating myself or starting to sound tired...

Hi Keith!

Great you're here now! I just set up in my thin wall apartment for a short trial, then pack my stuff for tonight when I'll keep a low profile and in my laundry cart transport my stuff to the basement where there's an ideal quiet room to record. Could you look at my reply to Bouldersoundguy 1 minute ago #20 as I would like you to take a look at the settings I just created. I might rest a bit before I play as I was up at about 7 and slept only about 3 hrs and if I rest first I'll play better. I remember you said 48Hz to record at and wondering if I might have a newer generation Q8 as I set it at 96 and some other settings. If you have time I hope you can look at what I asked Bouldersoundguy. Thanks for all as it means a lot to me. You don't sound redundant and sorry you have to repeat yourself. I live in a Senior high-rise and do random acts of kindness like you do for others here, so it goes around. I am very grateful as you are making it possible for an amateur such as me to see how my music might do to the general public, a big step for me. I don't know if it's unusual but I emailed Sony Music in NYC to ask permission to use Joni Mitchell's song, Both Sides Now, and they answered right away with a "yes"! A licensing service said their estimate to apply to them for me, their high end price would be $1,500 yet somewhat a chance it could be higher, so I got brave and tried myself and they said they will monetize it so any money goes to them and let me do it for free! I could hardly believe it!

Later,
Winfred

PS What is the "L" "R" and "1" and "2" buttons and the dials on the side of the Q8. I know they are mic gains and for I guess when you use external mics, which I'm using 2 but I don't understand why they have 4 buttons when it seems all they need is 2, one for each mic. Curious what you think. I also know with the onboard mic I was able to use the gain dial on top with that and set the level. I decided to set it with no low cut or anything in that screen and wondering what you think. Thanks!

Start with Reaper. Until you're doing multi-camera stuff it should be fine.

Now that you're about to record audio here's a little reminder of proper level setting. Your target for the average level of any given input is -18dBFS (decibels, full scale). The level can jump above and drop below that target, but try to center the variations there. Most important of all, don't let the signal hit the top of the scale, 0dBFS. Stay in the middle of the lane, gravel shoulder (too low) on one side and oncoming traffic (0dBFS) on the other. But using 24 bit recording you've got a very wide lane so don't stress too much. Peaks at -12 to -6 are okay.

PS What is the "L" "R" and "1" and "2" buttons and the dials on the side of the Q8. I know they are mic gains and for I guess when you use external mics, which I'm using 2 but I don't understand why they have 4 buttons when it seems all they need is 2, one for each mic. Curious what you think. I also know with the onboard mic I was able to use the gain dial on top with that and set the level. I decided to set it with no low cut or anything in that screen and wondering what you think. Thanks!

You can use any of four audio inputs on the Q8. L & R refer to the onboard mike (whose gain dial is on the top as you have figured). while 1 & 2 refer to the XLR inputs on the back. Their gains are set by the dials next to the buttons you were asking about. Those four buttons select which tracks you want to record on. If you are using the on-board mike, you press L & R, while if you are using external mikes, you would press 1 & 2.

Probably not a big difference on whether you use the 2i2 or Q8 for audio recording, as [MENTION=103008]bouldersoundguy[/MENTION] says. Just get long enough cables so you can position the camera correctly for the video framing and then place the mics for best audio. I would record using the MOV+WAV mode of the Q8 (just scanned the manual), 48kHz/24-bit, and then copy/upload the audio files into your audio DAW.You can even include the LR built-in mics if you want (disable stereo link so you have separate, mono files for each microphone, whether using 2 or 4 inputs).

Really, just open the manual and start recording. See what happens. (You could probably have been recording with the 2i2 and a smartphone [video] for 4 months now and have learned a lot about mixing in that time!)

I've been repeating this kind of information to so many folks lately with various devices and setups I apologize if I'm repeating myself or starting to sound tired...

Hi Keith!

I thought I had clicked "Post Quick Reply" and hadn't and clicked the reload button just in case you had answered and it wasn't showing up on the screen. In doing that I lost the message I had written to you only about 5 minutes after you posted your answer above. Could you see my questions in post #20 just below here to Bouldersoundguy as I'm wondering too what you think. I set up in my thin walled apartment for a practice run my 2 condenser mics on tripods with shock mounts and pop screens and my q8 on the tripod. I made my settings as I described to Bouldersoundguy who is not maybe online right now. I was wondering what you think as I remember you said set audio to 48Hz and maybe I have a newer generation Q8 or something as I had a WAV 96/24 option and clicked on that. Is that a good idea? I think you'd said before it is not a good idea with older computers. I bought mine used, a duo-core that had Windows 7, and with 3.0 CPU, and 8GB RAM, and 2.0 USB. It is a business grade computer, but has worked well so far.

I'm doing a trial run, just one song, before I pack my laundry cart with it all to be ready for later tonight when I'll keep a low profile and actually go to a room in the basement of my high-rise that is excellent for being quiet. There's a pool table there no one ever uses and all walls are to inactive rooms except if someone has their load in the laundry off balance I will then hear it. I'm wondering if I have my settings okay.

I didn't click MOV/WAV yet and want to but afraid as I think it will involve more advanced editing and mastering later as compared to just a MOV setting. Also on the side of the camera is "1", "2", and "L", and "R" and gain dials. I know that's for the external mics but don't understand why there's 4 buttons as I'd imagine all is needed is too... my amateur view ha! I have just 2 mics so do the 1 and 2 buttons make any difference to me. I know I'll use the gain dials and watch the levels as I recite "one, two, one two" to test that the record levels don't go into the red of flat top, but what really are those buttons. Also my questions to Bouldersoundguy too if you can.

Sorry you're repeating yourself, but not to me. Also good point about my having the Scarlet still in the box factory sealed since January. The problem is I think those smart phones to use as a camera are very expensive. I have a cheap one I got through a charity. I don't know what the camera is like but the lens is very tiny. I also now have learned the Scarlet is not any better to record audio than the Q8, so I will sell it for a better price than if it had been opened on Craig's List. Still, let me know if I made a big mistake or any of my attempts are foolish as I'm so amateur. The last time I used my matched pair of condenser mics was 17yrs ago when I recorded 2 solo piano CD's on the old farm where I was caring for my mother. I've been up since very early and only 3 hrs of sleep and can barely hold my head up ha! I don't want to try recording being this tired so laying down for a bit and see if you might see this, or anyone else too. I do randome acts of kindness too, but in my Senior apartment bldg, so your acts of kindness I'm very grateful for and it goes around.

Carpe Diem,
Winfred

You can use any of four audio inputs on the Q8. L & R refer to the onboard mike (whose gain dial is on the top as you have figured). while 1 & 2 refer to the XLR inputs on the back. Their gains are set by the dials next to the buttons you were asking about. Those four buttons select which tracks you want to record on. If you are using the on-board mike, you press L & R, while if you are using external mikes, you would press 1 & 2.

Hi Gecko zzed!

Very nice of you to help again. Only if you have time. I was about to test record first time with my condenser mics, and thanks for the info about the buttons! I will record right now in my thin walled apartment, and with quite a few doors being slammed down the hallway, so maybe not so when I record, but no problem as I plan to later keep a low profile and record in a very quiet room in the basement of my high-rise apt bldg. Could you see my post #20 questions. Just in case you're on maybe you'll see it before I record later in the basement. Also only if you have time my questions to Keith in post #24 covering what I'm still wondering about how to do this right. It's a lot of my amateur-ness and if you don't have time I fully understand. Thanks very much for your help!

Top of the Evening!
Winfred

In the q8 I'm not comfortable clicking on MOV/WAV and working both audio and video separately later. I put it on MOV which I guess means it records both audio and video together, right?

In Mov + Wav, the video and audio are saved separately. In Mov, the audio is incorporated into the video. If you are just starting out, using Mov seems to be the easiest one to do.

So in the "Recording" Mode window I have "Create" set at MOV, "Video" set at HD1080/30 24M, "Audio" set at WAV 96/24 (Does that also mean it will record in "stereo"?)

Those settings look good. I personally wouldn't bother with 96/24, and would just use 48/24. Yes . . . it will record in stereo.

"Camera" I have at "Scene" set at Auto because I don't exactly trust trying Jazz Club or the special settings yet.
Auto is fine. Worry about getting some results, any results, rather than going for fancy at this stage.

I won't record anything and try my luck if you or anyone might respond to that.

You sign your posts 'carpe diem'. You should also apply that to your video endeavours. Don't hesitate. Press the record button and see what happens.

Hi Gecko zzed!

I have to laugh at myself as I say Carpe Diem but should apply it ha! I have to admit I've set myself back today trying to record with my old condenser mics. I have recorded with the onboard mic okay but my voice is too weak as the guitar dominates a lot, yet I am kind of holding back myself and need to get rid of that. When I played at open mics and so many liked my music the host was the one tweaking the sound system. When I see my videos I'm disappointed as my guitar doesn't sound as good as it does in actuality as it really has more depth and doesn't sound as twangy. I know I'm not flat-topping so the onboard gain was okay that way.

It was funny as once I uploaded my 9:38 version of, "Both Sides Now", (2 min of it was talking, a practice run of my verbal intro thanking Sony Music and Joni Michell, and at the end plugging my original songs I plan to record.) and realized my condenser mics, the whole time, weren't working at all! I was going up and down to get to the camera thinking I was tweaking the gain and I wasn't, it was the onboard mic all along ha! That's how bad I am, no sound engineer here ha! Really I was disappointed enough I just sat out for a couple of hours, and only a small part of that looking at the manual, and most of it staring at the ceiling as day turned into night. I now realize I should have pressed on the tiny "mixer" icon in the lower left of the screen and turned on the 48 volts! What is "Pan", or "Pan Pot", what does that do? Is the "Pot" part of it from the word Potentiometer? I remember that term from when I was into electronics, but many years ago. Maybe the reason Zoom never made a tutorial is that the camera is meant for people who kind of know recording and its technology, and terminology. If you don't have time I fully understand.

Top of the Evening!
Winfred

I now realize I should have pressed on the tiny "mixer" icon in the lower left of the screen and turned on the 48 volts!

Lol. I had intended to remind you to turn on phantom power (48v) in the earlier post, but forgot.

What is "Pan", or "Pan Pot", what does that do?

Pan adjusts the left-right balance of a signal. If you turn it to the left, all the audio comes out the left side, and vice verse. The term may well derive from panning a camera from one side to the other.

Is the "Pot" part of it from the word Potentiometer?
yes

Lol. I had intended to remind you to turn on phantom power (48v) in the earlier post, but forgot.

Pan adjusts the left-right balance of a signal. If you turn it to the left, all the audio comes out the left side, and vice verse. The term may well derive from panning a camera from one side to the other.

yes

Hi Gecko zzed!

Thanks again for lending a hand! It seems you've worked in particular with the Zoom Q8 before. I finally turned on the 48volts to my condenser mics. It's a hassle to sit in front of the camera an mics in the chair, see the gain is too high or low on the tiny screen, stand up, adjust, then sit back down after weaving my way in between my condenser mics, a draw-back of the Q8. It's funny because I'm nervous and my voice is shaky just like I'm on stage that I have to get over. I can say with my condenser mics, the sound quality, is very much better, remarkably better, than the Q8 onboard mics.

I did like you, Ty Ford, bouldersoundguy, Keith roger... advised to record MOV/WAV... so I end up with 4 files, the video, INPUT1, INPUT2, and, LR or I think that's the onboard mic. I try to play it on my desktop larger screen and when I click the "Video" file that starts okay, but the video covers over the list, and I can't quick click and start the audio mic 1, and then mic 2, so it all plays at once. Instead I get each mic and the video all out of sync, a mess.

How do I get all to play at once in sync?

The only way maybe I can do that is on the Q8 screen to press the green triangle or "playback" icon, and with the camera connected to my desktop I only see it on the camera screen, but it seems I hear both my condenser mics and the onboard mic all at once, the way I try to make it play on the desktop. I want to see and hear it all at once on the desktop as then I think it will be like they see and hear it on YouTube.

I just did a test in my tiny apt -- playing and singing quieter so I don't disturb my neighbor on the other side of the thin wall. Tonight with less chance of being seen by other residents... I'm going to pack up and go to the ideal very quiet basement room where there's an old pool table no one ever uses, at least I hope not tonight, and also hope no one in the laundry has their load off balance, banging away and unattended like the other day.

Oh, the other big problem is the Q8 will shut off even though you are actively using it, I suppose to save the battery. It seems to shut off about 10 minutes after starting. Is there any way to avoid that?

If you don't have time I fully understand. Man oh man, I look terrible no matter how nice a shirt I wear ha! The audio quality is very good and video okay, not bad, but my voice... I wonder why everyone liked my songs so much at the open mics, big applause, a standing ovation one night, some people crying, big hugs handshakes, host saying, "You must know you're good.", another guy asking who my influences were, being invited twice to play at big family events (I got too nervous and bowed out gracefully... but wasn't invited the next year...) etc and now... when I see myself in the video and hear myself, wow, sounding like I wasted my money getting this camera etc and all the effort with attempting YouTube. I'm sounding about as far from a standing ovation as anyone could get, so much it took a few days for me to convince myself to keep trying!! Embarrassed myself again today ha! Have you heard of that happening to others like me? Maybe I could email my sound part to you, but don't want to put you on the spot to critique if you don't want to.

Top of the Evening!
Winfred

I haven't used the Q8 before. I just looked stuff up inthe manual online.

I didn't suggest using MOV/WAV. I suggested using just MOV to keep it simple while you are exploring things. That way you don't have to worry about lining up the video with the audio. To do that you need to go into another level of complexity, i.e. loading audio and video into a video editor and lining them up in that.

Try again, just using MOV.

Don't worry about quality. Just focus on getting something working for you.

I'd drop the audio and video files into Reaper. I suspect you can simply line up all the clips to the left of the timeline and they'll be nearly if not perfectly in sync.

I'd drop the audio and video files into Reaper. I suspect you can simply line up all the clips to the left of the timeline and they'll be nearly if not perfectly in sync.

Hi bouldersoundguy!

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply! Now I understand that it takes video/audio software to join the audio with the video. It was only a trial run. Maybe I thought I was hearing my condenser mics first time in 17 years. "Mic 1" is my voice mic. It is close enough to the guitar if I listened to that I could hear both reasonably. I should go back and just listen to "Mic 2" to get a better sense of how it will sound. I'm going to acclimate to Reaper first then later graduate to maybe Las Vegas, but not Las Vegas Pro. I think maybe Las Vegas is a step up from Reaper, right?

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

"Las Vegas" is the city. "Vegas Pro" (no "Las" in the name) is the software. There is no non-Pro version of Vegas Pro, except that Magix makes Movie Edit Pro for $60-80. Movie Edit Pro used to be a cut down version of Vegas Pro but it seems to be a different program these days.

For now, with one camera, all you need is Reaper to make your audio right and mate it to your video.

I haven't used the Q8 before. I just looked stuff up inthe manual online.

I didn't suggest using MOV/WAV. I suggested using just MOV to keep it simple while you are exploring things. That way you don't have to worry about lining up the video with the audio. To do that you need to go into another level of complexity, i.e. loading audio and video into a video editor and lining them up in that.

Try again, just using MOV.

Don't worry about quality. Just focus on getting something working for you.

Hi Gecko zzed!

Thanks for replying! I missed your advice and did the wrong thing. I remember first having made up my mind to use just MOV, and maybe that was why, your advice. I'm going to get Reaper first, then graduate to Las Vegas, but not the "Pro" version. Does that seem a good route? My "Mic 1" was close enough to my guitar on "Mic 2" so I listened to that and can say my condenser mics sound very nice, much better than the onboard Q8 mics. Tomorrow I'll finally go to the basement here, the very quiet place where I can sing louder and play louder. I ran out of groceries and commuting by bike the whole ordeal took 3 hours by the time I put things away. You're better at assimilating information than I am as I didn't like the manual very much. I'll look at it more. It's hard weaving in and around my mics to get the gain set right, a draw-back of the Q8 IMO. Also it will shut off in the middle of doing something as it unfortunately is set to auto-shut-off after it seems 10 minutes even if you are active, I suppose to save on the battery. Did you maybe catch on about how to avoid the auto-shut-down? I should also say that before I recorded in MOV/WAV today I clapped my hands so it would be easier to line up later. Thanks for all of your patience and help and even reading the manual for the Q8!

Top of the Evening
Winfred

"Las Vegas" is the city. "Vegas Pro" (no "Las" in the name) is the software. There is no non-Pro version of Vegas Pro, except that Magix makes Movie Edit Pro for $60-80. Movie Edit Pro used to be a cut down version of Vegas Pro but it seems to be a different program these days.

For now, with one camera, all you need is Reaper to make your audio right and mate it to your video.

Hi bouldersoundguy!

I was way off about Vegas Pro and also no grade lower that they offer, just the Vegas Pro. I'll never be able to afford more than one camera. Is Vegas Pro better in other ways besides using more than 1 camera with Reaper? I'll just take it a step at a time, but your advice is great!

Thanks!
Winfred

Vegas Pro is a complete DAW like Reaper, but it's also a complete NLE (nonlinear editor for video). The main advantage is having one piece of software for both functions, so you get used to a common way of editing video and audio clips. You don't have to learn one set of controls for audio and a different set of controls for video.

But that's not really an advantage if you've got just one camera angle. You don't need Vegas Pro. Reaper will do what you need to do at this stage. Just start recording performances and throw them into Reaper. You'll see pretty quickly what areas need attention.

If at some point in the future you want to try blending in some cloud footage on Both Sides Now, maybe try a less expensive (or free) video editor. Speaking of cloud footage...

Vegas Pro is a complete DAW like Reaper, but it's also a complete NLE (nonlinear editor for video). The main advantage is having one piece of software for both functions, so you get used to a common way of editing video and audio clips. You don't have to learn one set of controls for audio and a different set of controls for video.

But that's not really an advantage if you've got just one camera angle. You don't need Vegas Pro. Reaper will do what you need to do at this stage. Just start recording performances and throw them into Reaper. You'll see pretty quickly what areas need attention.

If at some point in the future you want to try blending in some cloud footage on Both Sides Now, maybe try a less expensive (or free) video editor. Speaking of cloud footage...

Hi bouldersoundguy!

You make very nice videos with your time lapse! You also make a major point for me about having one camera angle! This is how I learn, from all who contribute in so many ways. I would have wasted a lot of money on Vegas as no one has mentioned that. I live alone and don't really know anyone who has the time to change camera angles for me. Also I can play best if I'm alone. All I do with the Q8 is aim it right, then reach forward and press the big button on the top of the camera and play, one angle.

Another question about software and multiple angles now arises thanks to your point and that's if I find free clips at places like Pixabay, or wherever, and add those, will I then need Vegas? Is adding in clips similar to changing camera angles and one needs more than Reaper? The reason I'm using a cover song with YouTube is because I'm an unknown. I thought it would at least draw some attention.

With my debut I need to do my very best. I might even get another used guitar. I live on next to nothing and just got the stimulus money... but still need to save. If this also means I have to buy Vegas I will. I might even contact a pro musician I met who 3 yrs ago when the long standing highly respected store he was working for closed first time since the Fifties. He said his goal was to start his own guitar store. I can't find any resultant store so I'm going to see if he has an extra good nylon string guitar of his own he could rent to me or sell, and he really knows guitars. That's all he did for decades is work for a major guitar store and also perform professionally. Maybe I'll get Vegas if I have to, and maybe buy or rent a used guitar. Does it seem I might need Vegas. Maybe I get to concerned and it's the quality of my vocals and playing that's the real thing, so maybe go the sinmplest route, yet rent or buy a used guitar that sounds better than the $10 one I bought in 1980 from a Salvation Army store. Any input is greatly appreciated. I fully understand if you don't have time. Thanks for all you've done, and the others too contributing here!

Top of the Day!
Winfred
PS I just found your Utah Moon and wow, the vocal harmony, you and your band's instrumentation, all, you're tops! You could tour! Once there's a vaccine for CoVid19 you could tour and country and have a good time. Very nice camera work and excellent quality sound! I like how you do closeups on the sliding steel guitar, and two angles of your band. You wear a number of hats, pun intended to ha, as a pro musician and a recording artist! A remarkable talent you are in many ways!

Last edited:
Stick with Reaper until you have some overriding need to get other software for video editing. Then there are free video editing options like DaVinci Resolve. Given your financial situation, avoid spending money if you can.

Can I add in some clips of short videos with my song and do all that with Reaper? So adding clips is not equivalent technically as doing multiple camera angles?

Back