Advice needed on using Zoom Q3 field recorder with Vegas Movie Studio 14

Cheryl46

I would like to use Vegas Movie Studio 14 with my videos made with my Zoom Q3 video/audio recorder. I can play the Zoom Q3 videos using the VLC media player, but I'm not sure if the format (WAV) will transfer to Vegas Movie Studio 14. I haven't bought the Vegas Movie Studio 14 yet, and don't think I need the higher 15 version. Does anyone know if the WAV format can be used with Vegas Movie Studio 14? I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance for any help.

WAV is Windows Audio (non-lossy). Do you mean WMV? There’s probably a different setting for video format.

Edit: From googling around it looks like the video files are MOV with MP4 compression but only SD? Seems like pretty lo-tech for 2018!

Vegas won't have any problem with wav files. Audio format of choice.

You will want to be sure the audio and video sync up. Do that by aligning spikes in the waveform with discreet events in the video; like strumming the strings of the guitar or something like that. With vegas, you'll be able to zoom into the video down to each frame.

Thank you so much, Chili. I'm adding RAM to my computer, so it'll handle this software easily, and can't wait to install Vegas Movie Studio 14.

Keith, you're correct. The Zoom Q3 is a MOV video file, and I use the VLC media player to convert them to MP4. I bought the Zoom Q3 years ago, and would still like to use it since I can record both audio & video, and put it through my Pro Tools software. I was thinking of the Pro Tools software when I said WAV files. I guess the MOV files and SD will still work in the Vegas Movie Studio 14? (My Sweetwater tech could probably answer that, but I don't believe they sell the lower priced Vegas 14 anymore.) Thanks!!

... I use the VLC media player to convert them to MP4. I bought the Zoom Q3 years ago, and would still like to use it since I can record both audio & video, and put it through my Pro Tools software. I was thinking of the Pro Tools software when I said WAV files. I guess the MOV files and SD will still work in the Vegas Movie Studio 14? ...
MOV is a container and I did a quick search to try and find Studio 14 specs, and didn't see it on the import list, but did on the export formats list, so you might still need to convert (which should be lossless since the actual video is already MPEG-4). But, you can always try. Never used Vegas myself!

I would track down the 14 specs (if you haven't already) to confirm compatibility with the graphics processor in your computer.

Back