Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "By the way ... which one's Pink?" My band live from the basement.

Thanks

"By the way ... which one's Pink?" My band live from the basement.

Sign in to disable this ad

If folks would like to know how this was done ... ask away. Happy to answer any/all questions.

You can actually see most of the mics used -- and they're on the drums. 8 channels tracked. There is substantial bleed, accordingly.

The bass, electric guitar and 12 Str are all going in direct and were recorded through our UI24r Soundcraft unit to a USB stick drive.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K-dub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    With that Ui24, does it record the individual tracks? And if so, how much of the channel strip is included in the recording stream to the USB stick? Just gain? EQ? Sends and inserts?

Thnx.
    Last edited by Chili; 11-08-2018 at 10:41.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post

With that Ui24, does it record the individual tracks? And if so, how much of the channel strip is included in the recording stream to the USB stick? Just gain? EQ? Sends and inserts?

Thnx.

Hey C!

Yes. The UI24r has a two bus tracking system -- which comes post effects off the mixer (stereo mix off the mains), and a multi-track function -- which comes off the preamps -- and NOTHING else (completely dry).

I used the latter option in the video above -- recording to a USB stick. There is also a USB out function that, once the drivers are loaded on your system -- will port to your computer's DAW directly. It's very versatile. We use it for both live PA and studio stuff accordingly. It's quality is studio grade.
    Last edited by Chili; 11-08-2018 at 10:41.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thanks
    Nice job! Negative comments notwithstanding...
    When you say bass, electric, and 12 str are direct, it's common for me to go bass direct. Curious to hear what you used for the other guitars direct?
    Cheers,
    Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Matthews View Post
    Nice job! Negative comments notwithstanding...
    When you say bass, electric, and 12 str are direct, it's common for me to go bass direct. Curious to hear what you used for the other guitars direct?
    Cheers,
    Dave
    Thanks Dave!

JJ (the guitarist) has a Fender modeling amp that we port stereo out the back of. I don't mic it as I'm used to using modeling amps in my own recording, and ... in such a setting (drums in the house), they're going to completely interfere with any live mic in the room (including vox).

As such, it's cleaner (w/ more control) to keep as much out of the "bleed field" as possible. The Decemberists, a group I adore, uses direct transducers on their guitars all the time. In the case of the 12 string -- I use an ancient Bill Lawrence in the sound hole ...

Now -- if I were going to do a more "studio" recording -- I'd use mics (I prefer an AT4050 on acoustic guitar -- or -- the MXL 603s -- seen as the drum OH's) -- and record them a half mile from drum bleed ... but as you can see, we were in close proximity.

So ... there's nothing you can do about the vocal mics -- they're going to pick up everything. When mixing -- you have to edit out "everything that is not a vocal" -- and all the bleed will STILL happen in the background. Nothing you can do about it.

The drum OH's also are going to pick up the live room ... because that's what they're supposed to do. Again -- nothing you can do about it.

But the bass, git, and 12 str CAN go direct and lend more mix control.

Also -- Tom hits are infrequent -- so take out (edit) everything that is not a tom hit ... leaving ONLY the tom hit sustain ... aaaaand ... gone.

And gate the kick and snare to the point where all you hear is the kick and snare.

Simple stuff -- but it really cleans up the "live" -- and the eyes convince the ears little "treatment" has occurred.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thanks
    Oh -- and Chili -- 20 mutli-track channels is the input of the UI24r ... I forgot to mention.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by K-dub View Post
    Oh -- and Chili -- 20 mutli-track channels is the input of the UI24r ... I forgot to mention.

Cool. I don't need 24 inputs nor $1000 price tag, so I was looking at the 16 channel version. But.... apparently it only records the 2-channel bus. That won't do.

I think the Behringer x18 mixer records individual tracks, but can't find whether it is dry off the preamps like the Ui24. That is the most important aspect to me. I don't want to add coloring to a recorded track if it is post fader.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by K-dub View Post
    Thanks Dave!

JJ (the guitarist) has a Fender modeling amp that we port stereo out the back of. I don't mic it as I'm used to using modeling amps in my own recording, and ... in such a setting (drums in the house), they're going to completely interfere with any live mic in the room (including vox).

As such, it's cleaner (w/ more control) to keep as much out of the "bleed field" as possible. The Decemberists, a group I adore, uses direct transducers on their guitars all the time. In the case of the 12 string -- I use an ancient Bill Lawrence in the sound hole ...

Now -- if I were going to do a more "studio" recording -- I'd use mics (I prefer an AT4050 on acoustic guitar -- or -- the MXL 603s -- seen as the drum OH's) -- and record them a half mile from drum bleed ... but as you can see, we were in close proximity.

So ... there's nothing you can do about the vocal mics -- they're going to pick up everything. When mixing -- you have to edit out "everything that is not a vocal" -- and all the bleed will STILL happen in the background. Nothing you can do about it.

The drum OH's also are going to pick up the live room ... because that's what they're supposed to do. Again -- nothing you can do about it.

But the bass, git, and 12 str CAN go direct and lend more mix control.

Also -- Tom hits are infrequent -- so take out (edit) everything that is not a tom hit ... leaving ONLY the tom hit sustain ... aaaaand ... gone.

And gate the kick and snare to the point where all you hear is the kick and snare.

Simple stuff -- but it really cleans up the "live" -- and the eyes convince the ears little "treatment" has occurred.
    Thanks for that.
    I went Kemper last year, so my guitar can go direct and I just got a Zoom Livetrak L-12 in order to get back into recording.

My lead player is running a Boogie, so maybe my Rivera Rockcrusher can get him direct.
    As you say, anything to get rid of some bleed live.
    Love me some live recordings.

Thanks
    I haven't listened yet, but I'm pretty sure there is a little pop at 1:14.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Cool. I don't need 24 inputs nor $1000 price tag, so I was looking at the 16 channel version. But.... apparently it only records the 2-channel bus. That won't do.

I think the Behringer x18 mixer records individual tracks, but can't find whether it is dry off the preamps like the Ui24. That is the most important aspect to me. I don't want to add coloring to a recorded track if it is post fader.
    I SOLD the 16 channel version to buy the UI24r. Trust that the build between the two is worlds apart ... from the preamps up. The 16 channel version is fine for live, but it is NOT studio grade. IMO, the price tag is fair as the dual purpose solution solves both our live and studio needs.

I usually find that after I buy something, I forget what I paid for it, and generally just settle in -- happy for what it does for me (hopefully).
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

Thread Information