80s melancholic and romantic synth-pop in black and white. One-take shot, sort of...

elkanah77

Had the idea to do one take only in this shameless attempt at some 80's synth-pop music and video.
Felt I had to cut somewhat near the bridge and blend some shots but my intention is kept througout.
The green screen work was pretty straight forward but the light beams with text during the bridge took some time though.

Opinions welcome!

So are you the Norwegian dude making videos for your own Synth songs? The songs kind of remind me of The Fox Glove Hunt and Joy Electric. I used to make a lot of driving videos set to Starflyer 59 and Joy Electric. I would film the road from my car and then just edit it to fit the music. I think your video had potential, but I thought it could use more action or different scenery.

Saying it's a "one-take shot", when it's really a dude standing stock still in front of a green screen feels kinda disingenuous.

I might also recommend scaling back the auto-tune. That didn't exist in the 80s unless you were building an oil rig.

So are you the Norwegian dude making videos for your own Synth songs? The songs kind of remind me of The Fox Glove Hunt and Joy Electric. I used to make a lot of driving videos set to Starflyer 59 and Joy Electric. I would film the road from my car and then just edit it to fit the music. I think your video had potential, but I thought it could use more action or different scenery.

Thanks for your review. Appreciated. I am from Norway yes and making my own music videos is more a question of keeping costs down really.

Saying it's a "one-take shot", when it's really a dude standing stock still in front of a green screen feels kinda disingenuous.

I might also recommend scaling back the auto-tune. That didn't exist in the 80s unless you were building an oil rig.

Absolutely, there were very little automated vocal tuning correction in the 80'ies for sure. The perceived use of auto-tune i think has more to do with the fact that the originally had a different tempo and the vocals' been stretched and pitched a little here and there to fit. Nevertheless, it's not correct for the time period, although I'm hoping it doesn't take away too much from my intentions. Thanks! :-)

The guys who swear by analog synths are interesting to me. What bands are influences to you elkanah77? Have you ever listened to Jean Michel Jarre?

The guys who swear by analog synths are interesting to me. What bands are influences to you elkanah77? Have you ever listened to Jean Michel Jarre?

I don't swear by analog synths by any means, but I have some of them and has owned many in the past and my Juno 6 is a keeper for sure. I find the digital classics just as fascinating and my DX7 mk1 is very capable still. As for JM Jarre... well, I still have several vinyl copies of his records bought in the 80'ies and I have listened a lot to him and maybe even more to his father Maurice Jarre, a composer I hold in high regards.
I'm mostly influenced by The Pet Shop Boys, New Order, OMD, Thompson Twins, Scritti Politti, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Tears for fears, ABC, Spandau Ballet... the list goes on.

Had the idea to do one take only in this shameless attempt at some 80's synth-pop music and video.
Felt I had to cut somewhat near the bridge and blend some shots but my intention is kept througout.
The green screen work was pretty straight forward but the light beams with text during the bridge took some time though.

Opinions welcome!..

I love the song, it reminds me of A-ha! Great work!
For video: would agree with other opinions, could be a bit more dynamic :)

Back