Zeppelin cover

michigan~

Hi,

This is a cover of Good Times Bad Times by Led Zeppelin. We don't have any good mics yet (this was recorded with one sm57 and some random fender PA mics,) but any tips/commpents are appreciated.

Thanks

cool cover. i think you did well with the recording especially considering the mikes used. nice playing all around but the vocal delivery could use some oomph. thumbs up to the guitarist.

Man, I don't know where to start.....I guess I'll just talk about the drums and let others give their opinions on the rest.

Concerning the drums....If the drummer can't nail the drum parts, you shouldn't be doing this tune. The beats and drum parts in this tune are signature Bonzo, and to have a drummer playing when it doesn't even seem like he even took the time to learn the parts, you might as well not do the song. He doesn't have one part right, except for the intro.

I'm not trying to be hard on you. But, as a drummer, I'm more than a little disappointed to hear a version where the drums are so weak compared to the original.

nah, I'm nit-picking to a certain extent, because it's not a bad recording overall. But those drums have to be there...especially in this tune.

No one can play like John. Dude the tune is fine. I do covers and play all the instruments myself and the drums always are not like the original or the guitars. I just have fun doing it.

BushmasterM4 said:
No one can play like John. Dude the tune is fine. I do covers and play all the instruments myself and the drums always are not like the original or the guitars. I just have fun doing it.
There's a difference between "Playing like John" and doing a song justice.

People up their tunes up for critique, not just for pats on the back. We're entitled to our opinions and I wish people would always be brutally honest with me too.

In my opinion, the drums are far from fine.

If someone posts a song just to get compliments, I would hope they'd make that clear in their first post. :)

RAMI said:
People up their tunes up for critique, not just for pats on the back. We're entitled to our opinions and I wish people would always be brutally honest with me too.

I tried being brutally honest in here for a while but I got the feeling that I was coming off like a dick, although I didn't intend to be. It's hard to tell how someone is going to react to honest criticism and all the automatic back patting confuses things even more. Then there are issues with levels of musicianship, music styles, recording styles, and knowing whether a track is a scratch track or a mix that a lot of effort went into. It's touchy stuff. It would help if everyone in the clinic would provide more details on why they are posting a track for review. A 'read this before posting' sticky might help.

When I post something here it's always a rough track. I use recording as a musical scratchpad. All criticism is always welcome.

TravisinFlorida said:
I tried being brutally honest in here for a while but I got the feeling that I was coming off like a dick, although I didn't intend to be. It's hard to tell how someone is going to react to honest criticism and all the automatic back patting confuses things even more. Then there are issues with levels of musicianship, music styles, recording styles, and knowing whether a track is a scratch track or a mix that a lot of effort went into. It's touchy stuff. It would help if everyone in the clinic would provide more details on why they are posting a track for review. A 'read this before posting' sticky might help.
I can see that happening. In fact, I just did. :)

Just for the record, I wasn't referring to you when I made the statement about "pats on the back". I was speaking generally.

I respect everyone's opinion and I always look for something positive to say about a song. But I also remember that the people that have helped me the most are people that mentioned what was WRONG with my music, even if some of them did it in a less-that-civilized way...though it's usually very civil in here.

RAMI said:
Just for the record, I wasn't referring to you when I made that statement. I was speaking generally.

It didn't even cross my mind that you were referring to me. I wasn't trying to do any back patting though. I didn't hear anything wrong with the drums. I'm not a drummer so I don't hear as many of the flubs as you drummer guys do. If the guy is in time I'm usually content. :p

TravisinFlorida said:
If the guy is in time I'm usually content. :p
You're very demanding. Most people are happy if the drummer shows up ON time. :D

It all starts with Bonham and his rock solid drumming. His drums sound like thunder and had a huge amount of "room" ambience in the recordings.

Go here and give a listen to Bonham’s drum racks. The guy was just amazingly talented! http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

While you might not be able to nail the drum parts exactly (don’t sweat that too much because not many people can :D ) you can work to get something closer and when you do, work on creating a bigger drum sound.

Simman said:
It all starts with Bonham and his rock solid drumming. His drums sound like thunder and had a huge amount of "room" ambience in the recordings.

Go here and give a listen to Bonham’s drum racks. The guy was just amazingly talented! http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

While you might not be able to nail the drum parts exactly (don’t sweat that too much because not many people can :D ) you can work to get something closer and when you do, work on creating a bigger drum sound.
That's how I SHOULD have put it in the first place.:)

I'm trying to get into drums so I didn't notice anything. Is there tabs for drums? Or do you just wing it?

myhatbroke said:
I'm trying to get into drums so I didn't notice anything. Is there tabs for drums? Or do you just wing it?
Neither. You LEARN THE SONG. Unless you want to do a totally different version of it. In which case, you probably still learn the song.

myhatbroke said:

there is drum tab. i used guitar tab when i was younger but i think it's a bad idea. it prevents you from developing your ear.

thanks guys

i'm playing drums in this tune, and i didn't have time to learn the exact parts before we started recording it. I just listened to it a few times to get a feel. i agree with what you guys have been saying though

anyway, can we have some more tips on the actual recording/mixing aspect? that's what i'm concerned about

michigan~ said:
anyway, can we have some more tips on the actual recording/mixing aspect? that's what i'm concerned about
Yeah, we got a little side-tracked there....Mix-wise, it's not bad, especially considering that you mentioned you weren't working with the best equipment.

As mentioned, regardless of the parts, the drums can come up, volume-wise, and possibly a "bigger" sound, eg: More reverb.

The bass and guitar sound good to me. Maybe the vocals can get tucked back a little bit. There are parts where the vocals sound like they're being done more falsetto than with a "real voice", and they stand out a bit.

Even though, I have issues with the drum track, this is a good version of a song that's not easy to pull of.

RAMI said:
Neither. You LEARN THE SONG. Unless you want to do a totally different version of it. In which case, you probably still learn the song.

Rami don't kill me but the day I worked out some basic 4/4 beats on my kit has served me very well.

TelePaul said:
Rami don't kill me but the day I worked out some basic 4/4 beats on my kit has served me very well.
I wouldn't kill you for that. :D

Back