Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zeppelin cover

Thanks

Zeppelin cover

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

This is a cover of Good Times Bad Times by Led Zeppelin. We don't have any good mics yet (this was recorded with one sm57 and some random fender PA mics,) but any tips/commpents are appreciated.

http://webpages.charter.net/gavintho...ad%20Times.mp3

Thanks

Thanks
    cool cover. i think you did well with the recording especially considering the mikes used. nice playing all around but the vocal delivery could use some oomph. thumbs up to the guitarist.

RAMI Guest
    Man, I don't know where to start.....I guess I'll just talk about the drums and let others give their opinions on the rest.

Concerning the drums....If the drummer can't nail the drum parts, you shouldn't be doing this tune. The beats and drum parts in this tune are signature Bonzo, and to have a drummer playing when it doesn't even seem like he even took the time to learn the parts, you might as well not do the song. He doesn't have one part right, except for the intro.

I'm not trying to be hard on you. But, as a drummer, I'm more than a little disappointed to hear a version where the drums are so weak compared to the original.

Thanks
    i'm not much of a drummer so i guess i didn't pick up on that.

RAMI Guest
    nah, I'm nit-picking to a certain extent, because it's not a bad recording overall. But those drums have to be there...especially in this tune.

Thanks
    No one can play like John. Dude the tune is fine. I do covers and play all the instruments myself and the drums always are not like the original or the guitars. I just have fun doing it.

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterM4
    No one can play like John. Dude the tune is fine. I do covers and play all the instruments myself and the drums always are not like the original or the guitars. I just have fun doing it.
    There's a difference between "Playing like John" and doing a song justice.

People up their tunes up for critique, not just for pats on the back. We're entitled to our opinions and I wish people would always be brutally honest with me too.

In my opinion, the drums are far from fine.

If someone posts a song just to get compliments, I would hope they'd make that clear in their first post.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI
    People up their tunes up for critique, not just for pats on the back. We're entitled to our opinions and I wish people would always be brutally honest with me too.
    I tried being brutally honest in here for a while but I got the feeling that I was coming off like a dick, although I didn't intend to be. It's hard to tell how someone is going to react to honest criticism and all the automatic back patting confuses things even more. Then there are issues with levels of musicianship, music styles, recording styles, and knowing whether a track is a scratch track or a mix that a lot of effort went into. It's touchy stuff. It would help if everyone in the clinic would provide more details on why they are posting a track for review. A 'read this before posting' sticky might help.

When I post something here it's always a rough track. I use recording as a musical scratchpad. All criticism is always welcome.

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisinFlorida
    I tried being brutally honest in here for a while but I got the feeling that I was coming off like a dick, although I didn't intend to be. It's hard to tell how someone is going to react to honest criticism and all the automatic back patting confuses things even more. Then there are issues with levels of musicianship, music styles, recording styles, and knowing whether a track is a scratch track or a mix that a lot of effort went into. It's touchy stuff. It would help if everyone in the clinic would provide more details on why they are posting a track for review. A 'read this before posting' sticky might help.
    I can see that happening. In fact, I just did.

Just for the record, I wasn't referring to you when I made the statement about "pats on the back". I was speaking generally.

I respect everyone's opinion and I always look for something positive to say about a song. But I also remember that the people that have helped me the most are people that mentioned what was WRONG with my music, even if some of them did it in a less-that-civilized way...though it's usually very civil in here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI
    Just for the record, I wasn't referring to you when I made that statement. I was speaking generally.
    It didn't even cross my mind that you were referring to me. I wasn't trying to do any back patting though. I didn't hear anything wrong with the drums. I'm not a drummer so I don't hear as many of the flubs as you drummer guys do. If the guy is in time I'm usually content.

Thread Information