"On Your Way", mix #2

Man, there's a lot going on in this tune. It makes me think of Yes in a lot of ways. Performances are great. Everything is nice and tight. Really good stuff.

With regard to the mix, take what I say with a small grain of salt as I'm listening on a Dell speaker bar in my office at work. That said, it sounds to me like everything is in a good spot except your rhythm guitars. They seem small sounding and in the background where they should be out front and driving it home. Vocals, bass, drums, and LEAD guitar all sound right where they should be to me. Just show the rhythm guitars the proper amount and this will be killer.

Love the arrangement too.

Man, there's a lot going on in this tune. It makes me think of Yes in a lot of ways. Performances are great. Everything is nice and tight. Really good stuff.

With regard to the mix, take what I say with a small grain of salt as I'm listening on a Dell speaker bar in my office at work. That said, it sounds to me like everything is in a good spot except your rhythm guitars. They seem small sounding and in the background where they should be out front and driving it home. Vocals, bass, drums, and LEAD guitar all sound right where they should be to me. Just show the rhythm guitars the proper amount and this will be killer.

Love the arrangement too.

thanks sullivan, for the comments and suggestions....

yes, turning up the rhythms, i can do that!!
LOL
i wished it was all that simple.

i've kinda been stuck in the 'everything can't be loud all the time' mode of mixing lately....
i guess i decided the rhythms just needed to be the base level for everything else to be louder.
i tend to feature too much guitar.
LOL again.......

I must agree, for the first half, the rhythm guitar in the left channel is a bit weak, and not too much going on with
the right channel - there's an imbalance there. Second half, the right channel guitar kicks in more and that seems
to pull the left channel into the mix better. These observations are from my phones.

Well done, man.

I must agree, for the first half, the rhythm guitar in the left channel is a bit weak, and not too much going on with
the right channel - there's an imbalance there. Second half, the right channel guitar kicks in more and that seems
to pull the left channel into the mix better. These observations are from my phones.

Well done, man.

hey spantini,
thanks for listening and commenting.....
i took the rhythm down in the beginning verse, to feature the voice, and also give me somewhere to go later in the song...

i drop out the right guitar, and hard pan a bit of room verb off the left guitar to the right during that first section...

maybe i'll try bringing that part up a bit and match the vocal intensity, and maybe pan it a it inward just til the right guitar comes in.

The balance sounds great to me on this. I don't think you're missing anything from the rhythm guitars as the backing vox more than make up the difference. Bass seems a good level on headphones. Superb job overall esp the vocal performances :thumbs up:

Cymbals are way 'swishy'. Something not right there. What is that?

Not a whole bunch of low end support in the subs. Much more could be added to the bass guitar low end in my opinion. That all hard to hear with the cymbal/hh delay/swish stuff going on. It killing for me as I listen through.

Definitely thicken the guitars a bit too, but start with the low end and the freaky cymbal stuff.

Did I mention the cymbal stuff? lol!

Dig the fucking tune tho dude! Seriously like the song man! Love the vocals! :)

Back