Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts please

Thanks

Your thoughts please

Sign in to disable this ad
    I was trying to make something experimental, dunno, here it is

Vocaroo | Voice message

Thanks
    It's a good beginning. Your second guitar - the slower one - is out of step with the drums. The first guitar may be a hair out of step too.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    After a few seconds the timing of things went bad. I'd suggest practice staying in time with that drum track. And then re-record.

Thanks
    It's all horribly out of time (especially the second guitar).... did you record the guitar live or is it a keyboard and sequenced? If it's live, I'd suggest you practice playing to a metronome or drum loop... maybe slow the temp of the piece down so it's more playable ... if it's a sequenced keyboard playing a guitar sample, check your DAW latency.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    It's a good beginning. Your second guitar - the slower one - is out of step with the drums. The first guitar may be a hair out of step too.
    Should it be slower or faster? Tbh I'm not noticing this "horribly out of time" everyone's talking about ahah. I think I played to the track, I'll play with a metronome.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfpd View Post
    Tbh I'm not noticing this "horribly out of time" everyone's talking about ahah. I think I played to the track, I'll play with a metronome.
    Put the song aside for a few days, maybe up to a week or longer. Then come back and listen. To me the most importing thing you need to do right now is hear the timing problems.

Thanks
    This is going to sound tougher than it should maybe.......but it's crucial that you are able to pick out the timing issues in your song before you go any further. If you're not able to do that.......things will only get exponentially worse as you go. I assume the drumbeat in your tune was programmed right? That could serve as your metronome. You can do it........concentrate carefully and you'll hear the issues.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    This is going to sound tougher than it should maybe.......but it's crucial that you are able to pick out the timing issues in your song before you go any further. If you're not able to do that.......things will only get exponentially worse as you go. I assume the drumbeat in your tune was programmed right? That could serve as your metronome. You can do it........concentrate carefully and you'll hear the issues.
    Yep. Timing is gonna be your biggest roadblock here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It won't make any difference what the tempo is ... fast or slow, it's still a waste of time if it ain't in time (to quote our drummer...)

Start from the ground up... play your drums and count to 4 or tap your foot to the rhythm ... you should be able to clap in lockstep with the kick and snare.

Next (while the drums are playing) play your guitar on the downstroke... 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 etc

Do this for a minute or two and record it and have a close listen to how the downstroke falls directly on top of the kick and snare ...1 (kick) - 2 - 3 (snare) - 4 - etc

I don't mean to be arrogant or anything but you're beaten before you start if you cant hear that it's out of time let alone play in time...

Start small and play slowly... record what you do, listen carefully and practice... you'll get there.

Thanks
    For me the thing that really spoils it is, as everyone is saying, the timing is pretty poor. I suspected at first it was sequenced, or entered a note at a time on a guitar sound - because the guitar plays dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum - with each note exactly the same length, with the same attack and overall exactly the same envelope. No different tones as the pick/finger nail hits the string at different angles and small differences in volume. Sometimes the two similar guitars play the same note, but at slightly different times - which sounds like a mistake by one of them. The voice is singing some very unpredictable notes. Harmony has quite a few 'rules' - that let the listener predict the next note that is coming, and this doesn't follow them. You can break the rules, once you know them in the first place. The result is the guitars and the vocal line creating very unusual chords. The combination of the guitars at the 50 sec-ish mark where one guitar suddenly changes the notes to ones that make you squirm really needs fixing - it just sounds like the guitarist was playing the wrong notes.

Sadly - I think the song is a non-starter I'm afraid. It's difficult to listen to and in places just sounds random. In your head, what chords were you actually creating, and what was the melody doing? Taking you on a musical journey, or just a loop that crosses over the loops the two guitars were playing, also quite independently?

When you say 'experimental' - I thought it would somehow evolve, but it's too random in so many areas.

Thread Information