Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For your review... Please!

Thanks

For your review... Please!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello everyone,

I am learning how to mix and master as I go through trial and error, experimentation and from reading hundreds of post on this great forum!

My friend and I are going for the simple DIY punk sound with no over-processed frills. Still needs some vocals and bass.

Here is a quick master of something we recorded this weekend: http://www.soundclick.com/gregsk777

We go for a simple setup because too much is far beyond our limits for now. Basically guitar - amp - mic - one take into Tascam. Exported to computer - mixed with no eqing just simple panning - then all compressed to add volume in the mastering phase.

Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks,
    Greg

Thanks
    Those guitars are brutal. As in bad. Very hard on the ears. Harsh and fizzy. I'm a fan of DIY punk, but it has to be listenable. This isn't. And don't hide behind the excuse that punk can't have good production value. It can. Your song is a tribute to Lemmy, right? Have you heard Motorhead recently? They sound pretty polished. If you want to sound like an early DK demo, then fine. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to make a good mix. You can still be punk as fuck while making a good mix.

Thanks
    Brutal and bad are two adjectives I like!

So you think the guitars should be recorded with less distortion/treble and then boosted to get a thick sound?

We just thought part of the chord progression had a Motorhead vibe to it and there are no lyrics yet so it is a tribute to Lemmy for now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsk777 View Post
    Brutal and bad are two adjectives I like!

So you think the guitars should be recorded with less distortion/treble and then boosted to get a thick sound?
    No, don't "boost" anything. I don't know what you mean exactly, but based on what you posted, "boost" shouldn't be in your vocabulary right now.

Cut down on the gain/distortion and the highs/presence. Record with about half the distortion you'd use live, and then record it again. Multitrack and layers are your friend.

Thanks
    I meant when I go to master it. The compression will do its thing and my guitar (which will be recorded with less distortion initially) will sound boosted and bigger as a final product.

Thanks
    I meant when I go to master it. The compression will do its thing and my guitar (which will be recorded with less distortion initially) will sound boosted and bigger as a final product.
    Forget "mastering". You're not mastering anything. One step at a time, bro. Work on your guitar sound and drums first.

Thanks
    So how do you get an aggressive hardcore guitar sound if you don't record an aggresive sound? I understand distortion and treble overload a mic so how do you get that distortion back in if you record fairly clean?

Recordings of live punk/rock type bands can sound good and they are playing with full out distortion?

Thanks
    Any other feedback?

Thanks
    So how do you get an aggressive hardcore guitar sound if you don't record an aggresive sound? I understand distortion and treble overload a mic so how do you get that distortion back in if you record fairly clean?
    I just told you. I'm not saying to record clean guitar, just dial it back a little and layer two tracks together. If you can play worth a shit it's not a problem.

Recordings of live punk/rock type bands can sound good and they are playing with full out distortion?
    They're also usually done with pro or at least really good equipment.

Thanks
    It's a big mess of noise. I love it! It's CBGB's at its finest!

Thread Information