Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: You Tell Me...Was The Firebox Worth The Money?

Arkansas....moving to Texas in a few weeks...
    Thanks

You Tell Me...Was The Firebox Worth The Money?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok I just posted a snippet of the first tune I recorded/mixed completely using the Presonus Firebox. I want you guyz to compare it ("Wanna Be Your Man - Snippet") to the 3rd song ("Now It's Too Late") and tell me if the upgrade in preamps/converters is audible.

For the record, it's very audible to me but I've been told I hear a lotta shit that most people won't even care about so I'm asking for outside opinion.

Useful info: The 3rd track was mastered at Sterling Sound while the new track was masterd by me - translation: I pulled out a big fat L2 Limiter and stuffed the signal.

For what it's worth I think the mp3 conversion is terrible but I've yet to hear an mp3 file I liked. iTune's ACC conversion is ok, I guess...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=749086
    C:\Users\Trell Blaze\Desktop\Woodstock.jpgListen if u dare...I dare u... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=749086
    <<<NOW AVAILABLE ON SOUNDCLICK...WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A COOL NAME FOR A MUSIC WEBSITE?

Thanks
    I can def hear a difference. The vocals are much cleaner and crisper, and stand out/rest on the music better.
    Give my Koch a Bogner so I can Fuch!

Thanks
    Yea I felt the vocals benifited more from the change than anything.

I think the biggest change of them all was what I was hearing. Not that the Firebox's D/A converters are golden or anything, but they're a huge upgrade from the stock soundcard. Now I can actually hear that .5db change in EQ or that 20ms change in compressor attack.

I think that mix is far less muddy and more punchy than the other one and it hasn't even been mastered yet (at least not professionally)...
    C:\Users\Trell Blaze\Desktop\Woodstock.jpgListen if u dare...I dare u... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=749086
    <<<NOW AVAILABLE ON SOUNDCLICK...WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A COOL NAME FOR A MUSIC WEBSITE?

Thanks
    By the way, for what it's worth, I'm very well aware that this little box of mine isn't state of the art or revolutionary as I have logged time in quite a few studios with millions of dollars worth of gear.

Thing is, though, that I got tired of paying engineers who cared absolutely nothing for my work and constantly tried to convince me to take routes that made things more convenient for them ("I don't wanna use the SSL cuz...um...it sounds like crap. Let's do it in the box!").

That said, by the time I decided to do it myself my budget was well past spent so right now, this Firebox might as well be an Apogee Ensemble...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
    Ok I just posted a snippet of the first tune I recorded/mixed completely using the Presonus Firebox. I want you guyz to compare it ("Wanna Be Your Man - Snippet") to the 3rd song ("Now It's Too Late") and tell me if the upgrade in preamps/converters is audible.

For the record, it's very audible to me but I've been told I hear a lotta shit that most people won't even care about so I'm asking for outside opinion.

Useful info: The 3rd track was mastered at Sterling Sound while the new track was masterd by me - translation: I pulled out a big fat L2 Limiter and stuffed the signal.

For what it's worth I think the mp3 conversion is terrible but I've yet to hear an mp3 file I liked. iTune's ACC conversion is ok, I guess...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=749086
    I was immediately impressed with everything on Wanna Be Your Man - clarity, beats, keys, vocals. My daughter (15yrs) came into the room and said:
    - who's that ?
    - he's cool..
    - does he have an album?
    - he could be on the top of the charts
    - he could be the next Akon (sp?)

I can definitely hear the difference in the vocals on the two mixes. The top one is cleaner, the bottom is "grainy".

BTW the second song is just as good, just not quite as hot production wise...still good production overall though.

Thanks
    Wow, thanks alot. I'm surprised your 15yr old daughter liked it as my stuff is usually aimed at the 25 and up R&B crowd.

So appearently my assessment was correct that the A/D conversion in my previous recordings was absolutely disgusting - not really a surprise though. I recorded that stuff on a Roland VS-2400 (mixed on Cubase), which is a very good unit, but is still an all-in-one-box. Shortcomings are to be expected.

Thank you for your response and thanks for the compliments.

Oh yea...and tell your daughter we do have an album but I'm remixing like half the songs so I'd rather wait till we get that version done before I do any more promo...

Thanks
    Yeah, the Firebox sounds nice...I have one myself. What kind of mics do you use? You're a talented singer.
    I really...really...REALLY have no idea what I'm talking about...AT ALL.

Thanks
    Thanks for the compliments. I really like the box and I'm still learning it's goods and bads.

As for my singing, it's funny you say that cause I always felt I was a little above average. You should hear my brother...

Anyway I used a Sterling Audio ST-55 for the lead Vocals on "Wanna Be Your Man" and an AKG-Perception 400 on the background vocals...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
    - he could be the next Akon (sp?)
    Except Akon molests girls of your daughter's age.

I don't think you want him to be the next Akon.
    Give my Koch a Bogner so I can Fuch!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarer View Post
    Except Akon molests girls of your daughter's age.

I don't think you want him to be the next Akon.
    If I remember the report correctly, Akon was unaware of the girls age as she WASN'T supposed to be in the club in the first place. The blame rests on whoever let her in.

When you're performing on stage, you really don't have much of an opportunity to card your fans...

Thread Information