You Tell Me...Was The Firebox Worth The Money?

Thanks. I see you have quite a repuation around here for mixing so I know you know your stuff...

I don't use samples or phases. I use sampled individual drum hits...kicks, snares, ect. but I sequence them myself. Every "instrument" - ist's all synth - still has to be tracked out individually and EQed/Compressed/Automated so preamps and converters can't help but play at least a small part. The biggest difference is obviously going to show in the vocals, though, and I agree that there was quite a bit of difference there. I will admit that I had learned a lot mix-wise between the 3rd song and the snippet but even a better mix still wouldn't have compared.

The basses i usually get from the Roland Fantom X that I heavily modify. Do you mean flat in pitch or just plain flat sounding?

Also, anyone who has ever used a talkbox before knows how hard it is to make it sound intelligible in a recording (and boy is it hard!).

After comparing that performance with some of my talkbox work in the past, I believe there was a noticable improvement here too. It was certainly much easier to mix this time around...

The basses i usually get from the Roland Fantom X that I heavily modify. Do you mean flat in pitch or just plain flat sounding?

I meant just kinda flat sounding....a bit lifeless. It's because it's sampled. Even though it's not a loop, it's still sampled. Ever think about getting a session bassist? I think it would bring your songs up another notch. They already sound pretty damn good though. :D

I thought you meant sampled phrases/loops. Most people assume I sample somebody else's arrangement.

As for the bass...I think that depends on the song. In some R&B tunes, a real bass just sounds out of place. Don't get me wronge, I love a good E. Bass but with the style of music I do, sometimes there's just no place for it. Even so, I can't afford to pay a seasoned[\b] session bassists or a session anything which is why I learned MIDI in the first place...:D

Besides, most guys who play a certain instrument will always try to convince me that I should've used the real thing. That may be true in a lot of cases, but not all.

That said, there are some things I wanted to do (which occured later in the song) that probably wouldn't have translated as well on a real bass...

For what it's worth, the bass patch I used consists of a combination of sampled tones. I can't remember all the ones I used but there's definately a saw and a sine in there. There's no actual bass guitar elements used at all...;)

Thanks again for listening. And don't think I'm saying your opinion on the bass is off base :D. Just saying that I'm satisfied with the direction I took with it so I'm willing to live with whatever consequences it may bring...:cool:

....And don't think I'm saying your opinion on the bass is off base :D. Just saying that I'm satisfied with the direction I took with it so I'm willing to live with whatever consequences it may bring...

Hey, no problem.....just one man's opinion.....doesn't make it right or wrong. Like I said, It sounds great already.

:D

Thanks, guys, for listening and for the compliments. Takes a lot of hard work to get the sound I get and sometimes I wonder if I'm actually getting it. It means a lot more coming from guys who know how to do this thing the right way.

Elcholo: I'm still waitin' on you to post some soundclick versions of your stuff cause that's the only way I'll be able to listen on this connection...lol
Trell: here you go. Only one song up for now...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=761767

I'm working on getting it setup now...

I know this is old, but I found it while looking up stuff on the Firebox. Your clip sounds much, much better than the studio clip.

Def worth the money Blaze. Like, on the second one you guys sound like sorta 1960s Donna Summerish you know? Whereas on the first one things really shine, I mean really. Money well spent, and the more the better. :D

Back