"You and Me" - Pop/Rock and a Cheesy Grin!!

Qwerty

Hello Fellow Creatures of the Dark,

For you listening enjoyment and consternation and my education and edification, I present the following little ditty for your dissection.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1746&alid=193

The song is called "You and Me"

Tasty guitar pop for entree and a rock'n'roll frenzy of wailing guitars for main course. And the sound of my vocal chords beginning to bleed for dessert. Enjoy!

:) Q.

Love to hear what you think -- song itself and the mix. Knock yourself out - my wife has already compared it to 'The Partridge Family' so............. But then again she was on acid...... ;)

KILLER BASS.... YEA BABY !!!!

Mix is a little muddy and a little thin.

Drums a bit lost.

Lead vox is pretty good, I do some very, very slight key issues.

Good song, excellent effort.

Sean

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the listen! I appreciate it..... hmm too muddy and a little thin............wondering how I managed that trick!

The whole lot of just different bits?

:) Q.

Everything sounds like David Cassidy when you're on acid, man. :)

This is actually a pretty good song, I not fond of the guitar sound, sounds like too much fuzz for my liking. Enough changes to keep it interesting, lyics are very clever. Good stuff.

I've listened to this 10 times and still don't know what's wrong with this mix. It does sound a bit weird, but what the hell is it?

I've heard a few intonation problems but that doesn't necessarily make the mix weird. The bass seems a bit too upfront. Hihats too, although I think that's a matter of frequencies. Cutting some of those ultra highs could solve the 'the problem'. The harmonies that start at 2:20 are very midrangy, almost unrecognizable as vocals. Could be what you're going for, but in my ears it sounds 'wrong'.

Could it be the panning in the guitars?

I really don't know man.

I'll quit listening to it now...give my ears a rest (nice song though, a lot of stuff happening)

Q!!!!

It's always nice to hear a good song that doesn't have to take itself too seriously.
melodramatic and funny at the same time.
funny in a self depricating way, not a funny ha ha thing.
this is actually a very complex song at the same time.
what I'm trying to say is that I LIKE THIS SONG!

:)

I'm hearing the same "weirdness" to the mix that I think Pedullist and smellyfuzz (muddy and thin) are referring to. And what sucks about that is my mixes have the same "weirdness" quality, so if you figure out what it is, let me know.;)

I really dig your approach to this. Screwed up and twisted bubble gum music. Lots of cool layers in there. Good stuff!

Xmas caroling... in lo fi... then the smiley EQ stuff fills the soundstage...

whoa, can Mr. Rogers say " midscooped"... ya know he could :)

Your voice sounds quite familiar... an alt-rock band singer.... Danny Elfman? Sorta... the guys from Toad-T.W.S.? Closer...

I'm thinkin the bass is too fat for its own good here... fat in the midrange... when the mix gets busy, claustrophobia sets in and the one sound that appears to be the culprit is the bass. The snare drum gets lost in those sections, and everything becomes a bit too "brite" with those cymbals.

My, my... this is one helluva production, eh? Very nice job layering ideas here... but many of them get lost... like those 'la la la's' ...

Mix is quite uneven in the frequencies... like way too much high, a few upper mids, a lot of mids, a few lower mids, and a few lows... sounds like it's time to re-set all the EQ bands and start from scratch... building from the drums and bass... and the vox.... (drums w/out the cymbals at first, if possible)

Nice production, BTW. Very creative and a lot of potential there. Keep working it.

Chad

Hey Querty,
cool song man.. Your vocs have that morrissey clarity them... unexpected but cool for this type of stuff. I could imagine Ian Astbury doing this song.
I like the production and arrangement too... especially the rhythm guitar parts.... I didnt mind the panning, it kinda sat out with the drums, and worked ok for me. Nice bass...... ...nice stuff!!
g

I love that bass part. It's just a perfect part for the song. Listening on small headphones, so I can't tell for sure... But it might be lacking a little on the low end. Not a lot of "umph" behind it. I like the song in general. Real good job. I like the guitar tones too.

I think the vox are a bit far back in the mix. I think this would sound great if they were doubled. A doubled vocal sound would be perfect on this one. A couple of small pitch issues. But real small.

I think another good thing would be harmonies in the chorus. That would really top it off.

Trip...

Downloaded last night & listening on phones at work.

Heh, funny song. I think the vox should come up a tad like someone else already mentioned. Sounded pretty damn good over all to me. I do think the bass could use a little more definition. In fact it seems like many parts could use a little more definition (like the lala’s). How to do it? LOL beats the hell out of me :D.

Good job & cool & funny song.

The key issues in the vocals are not quite minor enough to forget as they recur throughout the song. Kind of a neat song. I'm not crazy about the backing vocal sound either. I liked the panned guitars for a good psychedelic effect. The screaming vocal at the end jumped out at me a bit.

Good tune man! I'm a guitarist, so I want to hear the guitars... bring those bad boys UP! The acoustic guitar should set things up for the lead guitar when it plays those integral riffs. I don't think it's so much lowering the bass as just raising the guitars. Oh well, just my .02!

bd

Very cool song.

More kick, more snare.

I'd consider taking about 15% of the panning of the guitars. Just a touch wide for this I think.

Love the stuff from about 2:20 to 3:00.

The vocal sounds pretty good, but I think they'd benefit from some more 4-6 that EQ probably won't safely give it, but you could try. The obvious first choice would be to retrack with different mic, but that's not always an option. So you might experiment with small boosts in different places from 2k to 6k. No guarantees. But then, it could just be my taste too, and if it sounds good to you, you should definitely leave it.

Guitars get WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too out of control in the last several bars. To the point where I can barely make out the drums. This I didn't understand.

The recording/mixing could use a little work, but then all of our recordings could use a little work.

Overall, I really liked this song...it was a LOT of fun to listen to. I don't know if it was you singing or not, but the attitude came out in the delivery- well done.

Tom

Not a bad song. I love the Partridge Family (and the fact that I admitted it must be saying something...some very cool arrangements there) --- but I'm still waiting to hear when the harpsichord is going to kick in :D

Sounds like you already have a lot of mix advice and I have nothing new to offer. I like those strange bg vocals that come in towards the end. To me that is the deepest part of the song.

Very cool overall!

:)

sounds nice man.........very clean recording......those have to be real drums...if not, you fooled me......the snare could use some work, but the kit sounds pretty good overall..........nice production....good vocals

Back