You Give Love a Bad Name - rough mix without bass

pcstudios

OK, we're having a lot of fun with this.. we're a bluegrass band (acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, banjo, mandolin & vocal) and for fun we're recording a Bon Jovi song "You Give Love a Bad Name." The guitar player added some electric guitar at the end of the song... I've never mixed electric guitar before. I'm just a banjo player lol.

We just put the acoustic bass on!

Any input welcome!!

You Give Love a Bad Name - Banjo Hangout Jukebox

Last edited:
A friend burned me a cd off of Sat. radio of bluegrass spoofs of rock and rap songs that I flat wore out. One of the groups was called Banjovi. I guess I thought this was where you were going with this one , but you've done a serious job on it and it fits the style well. I think it needs some high energy harmony and flat pickin. Enjoyed it .. looking forward to hearing the final mix. mark

Liked it. The timing issues were bugging me though. Is anyone playing to a click? Can you get the percussion and bass down first then record the other instruments over it? Great singing voice.

The timing you hear is the timing we wanted to get across. We were all playing to a drum click track. It’s a syncopated timing in areas, but that’s how we play the song. I’m more interested in mixing techniques away from individual timing and performance preferences. Thanks for the input though.

Back