You Ain't Lovin Me Blues - feedback please

This is a cool song. . . You do a good job w/ the instruments. You know how to play the blues for sure. Kinda seems like some Bob Dylan songs to me

It seems like you can turn everything up a bit. . . Definately turn the drums up I think.

I like the lyrics, are they original?

Llarion said:
Error loading songfile... :(
Okay - fixed it by uploading again. I updated the genre and it screwed up the song somehow. Oh well, it works now....same link as original post....

ziplock43 said:
This is a cool song. . . You do a good job w/ the instruments. You know how to play the blues for sure. Kinda seems like some Bob Dylan songs to me

It seems like you can turn everything up a bit. . . Definately turn the drums up I think.

I like the lyrics, are they original?
Ziplock43 - thanks for listening. Yep this is an original song about a girl I might have known a long time ago... ;)

I actually wrote the majority of this in a hotel room with no instruments or recorder. I had to remember it for about four days until I got home to record it...it's pretty simple though so it wasn't too hard ;) .....

:D :) :) :D

Nice tune Gerry....it has a great, clean sound. Bring the vocals up a little....music sounds good, but let the vocals be the main focus here. It might not hurt to bring your solo up a smidge also. (I did the DL file...)
Everything really seems to have space, and good dynamics. Very clean, so don't be afraid to let her rip.... :D

This song is great man. Just spent the last few hours tracking/attempting to mix a song for someone so my ears are kinda blah. I really like the guitar tone, especially the lead. Always had a thing for the whole blues genre. I hear almost a hiss kind of thing in the upper end but it's not all that distracting and again it very well could just be my ears. Vocals are outstanding as always man. Very smooth. Like the bass tone, fits the song very well. Drums are nice, maybe a tad low for my taste. Overall it sounds great and I totally enjoyed this.

Take care

Gary

Nice job Ido. Sounds cool, almost "doo-wop" without the backing vocals. The drums could come up quite a bit, I think. At least the kick and snare. The hats seem to be loud enough. The guitar and bass tones sound just right, and the solo sounds great. Is it double-tracked? I think I hear a slight difference or maybe its a quick stereo delay or something? Whatever it is, it sounds good. I always enjoy hearing your stuff because its original and it seems honest. I don't get the feeling that you're trying to fake anything. That's your music, and you feel it, and you lay it down, and its believable - if that makes sense. Good job. :)

Sounds pretty cool. The guitar soloing is definitely sounding good. Your solos are improving in quality man. :)

The vocals could use raising. Maybe compress a little if you want. Or just raise the volume and don't worry about dynamics.

Was waiting to hear one of those backup vox with higher octaves.

Last edited:
Guitars and vox sound great, as usual... Bass is a little underneath... (as usual? :) ) Drums are nearly nonexistent (again, you have a propensity for guitar-focused mixes... :) )

I must say, your guitar work has improved noticeably lately... You're getting better vocal acquisition than I remember in the past too; good and clean now...

Thanks Dogman, gbav, Greg_L, bigbubba, TravisinFlorida, Llarion for listening and the feedback...

I have remixed this with all your recommendations.
Drums - brought them way up
Bass - gave it more definition, hopefully still loud enough
Vocals - up a touch (I thought they were loud before :D )
Guitars - brought them down except the leads

Hopefully this will be a better overall mix......

The Soundclick track (128kps) has been updated - same link so I'll post it here....
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=395006&songID=5294332

I uploaded a new (320kps) version to lightningmp3.com - the link below replaces the old link in my first post.
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7419

Let me know what you think.....

Thanks!

:D :) :D :)

Is it just me or does this song have a Buddy Holly/ Lyle Lovitt quality?

Sounds good Gerry. :cool:

It sounds pretty authentic i.e. like
Buddy Holly/ Lyle Lovitt
. Some background vox might be cool, some "doo doo doo" kinda stuff. Hey, you programmed a drum fill. :D You should consider ezdrummer, its cheap and oh so easy. ;)

Balance is fine, sounds good. :cool:

Hi Gerry - sorry it took so long to reply - I'd downloaded the MP3 to a different computer & didn't get it to this one until now.
1st impression - sounds like a Buddy & Bob song - Buddy Holly & Bob Montgomery that is.
That did a few bluesy/swing things. The intro figure probably pointed towards them most.
This is brisk & cool. Nice, nice melody and a strum that is very Buddy H to my ears.
It's a shock to hear your clean guitar tone again. I'd become well used to the crunchy stuff you've done of late.
In keeping with my 1st impressions I think you ought to add some harmonies to the vox. NOT the doo wopping Jordonaires style OD'd harmonies Norman Petty superglued onto Buddy tracks but the style of Buddy & Bob or similar - 3rds or 5ths of the same line.
A knock, knock, knock snare attack at the appropriate door moment?
A bit of verb on the snare to get that Jerry Allison thing & a little more definition on the bass to make reference to the slap of Joe B.
Excellent work & thanks for channelling one of my biggest obsessions - the ghost of Buddy Holly.
I just played the update - the bass does an odd pop at 1.02.
I rather like the vocal level in the 1st.
The Knock knock idea would be in the phrase after door.
The HH or cymbal seems a little too up front now.
Excellent work nevertheless.

Gerry,

Great song. I listened to both versions. I prefer the remixed version you posted. It has a better overall balance among the instruments. Love your playing man!

I like the remix...I hear your voice clearer now, and the solo seems to fit better. You could probably bring the rhythm guitar up a little now. This has a 50's/ 60's sort of sound right now, and bringing the guitar back up under the vocals would make it sound more modern, if you want that.

Nice job on the performance man...very good vox. :cool:

I like this kind of stuff......I can imagine hearing a fiddle track behind the guitar vocal for a country blues folk feel. Might be worth a :) try?

Sounds very good. Classy gtr solo. I like the bassier/guitarier first version a little better. I think you should track the same vocal sometime when you're really angry.

Sounds Cool Ido! I like the stereo effect in the solo. Sounds cool without being over done. I still think the drums could come up a hair more, but it fits as is for the style of music.

Yet another cool one :D

F.S.

Back