Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On y va

Thanks

On y va

Sign in to disable this ad
    Another song demo. I'm trying to kick out the songs I've been writing this summer. Here's the next up.

This is my vocal demo with programmed drums using Jamstix4 samples. The final version will have real drums and a real singer. This is a mix, not a master. Natural dynamics are present. There's only light compression on the master bus to gel.

The reverb sound is Waves Abbey Road Plate.

Let me know what you think. All comments welcome. I've enjoyed this one, though the lyrics have been a challenge and may get further tinkering.

Latest mix:
    On Y Va_Ray Taylor_Mix 26.mp3 - Google Drive

On Y Va
    Words and music by Ray Taylor, 2018

Need a way to cull the cobwebs from our minds
    Put us in some money for a while
    Get the cash drawer, take a ride
    Your bare feet on the dashboard getting high
    Colors of a dying day
    Spread out on the windshield

Well on y va
    I’ve got things to show you
    And we got a ways to go
    Stand around in thunder long enough
    The lightning will dispose

Need a way to comb the shadows from our hair
    Score some Rocky Mountain dank and beer
    Took a right turn in the hood
    Bullets flew and the better aim withstood
    Colors of the dying day
    Poured out on the pavement

Well on y va
    I got things to show you
    We got a ways to go
    Just stand around in thunder long enough
    Odds gonna make a show
    Just hold out in winter long enough
    Every seed gonna have a grow

Need a way to plug the potholes in our lives
    And fill us with some Costa Rican wine
    Got our passports on the cheap
    And a guide to every hot house in Belize
    The colors of the dying day
    Rainbow on Mantego Bay

On y va
    I’ve got things to show you
    We got a ways to go

But there is no running
    From what we got within
    Like wondering the reason
    And a hunger keeps on teasing

Every seed gonna have a season
    Stand around in thunder long enough
    See the miracle repeating
    Let the lightning strike another time

Now we’re stuck in Panama
    Just waiting for a memo from the Lord
    The colors of the dying day
    Flashing on the squad car

Stand around in the thunder long enough
    Odds gonna have their say
    Every seed gonna have a day
    Let the lightning strike another time

Look up and believe
    The miracle repeats
    Lightning strikes another time
    Last edited by Robus; 08-19-2018 at 16:02. Reason: New mix: Shootout

Thanks
    There we go. Much better arrangement. Flows nicely and very distinguishable sections, easy to follow. I really like this tune. Toward the end, I was thinking the tune would fade out with the rocking solo section, then it kept going and I looked at the timebar. It was at 3:40-something, I think. I liked THAT section for a fadeout better, just because it makes it seem like the tune exits at its most intense moment. By the time the final 2/3 sections come around, it's gone back down, slightly up (though not as high as before) and then out.

I know we all have visions for our tunes, but just sharing my approach. Feel free to ignore.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to andrushkiwt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Okay thanks. I'll give the outro a listen. Mainly I dug the lead guitars there. That's the Mesa V:25 on iic+ mode there at the end (a sound I associate with Petrucci). The part is kinda-sorta doubled with a Les Paul on the left and Tele on the right. It's rare for me to use high gain tones but I liked it.

Also, did you notice there are no electric rhythm guitars at all? That might also be a first for me, of the songs I've posted on the Clinic.

There are some level spikes I need to sort out in order to bring the overall volume of the track up a bit more. I like to fix them manually rather than slap something on the mix bus.
    Last edited by Robus; 08-12-2018 at 11:14.

Thanks
    Hi Robus,

The song and basic mix is quite good. Some of the instruments are not fully in timing. Like the acoustics at the beginning - sounds like you double tracked them. I would consider going mono or panning closer to the center and looking at adjusting timing for some of the instruments. The instrument tones and arrangement is quite good. The ending is a little abrupt to me - maybe that's what you are going for. I would consider adding a very slight chorusing effect on the vocal (like waves doubler) and a little delay. I would also consider adding some doubled or tripled vocals in the section in this section "I’ve got things to show you, And we got a ways to go".
    Love the bass and you do a great job of finding space for ac. guitar, elec. guitar and piano at the same time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jonlint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks! I thought a lot about the loose timing on the acoustics in the place you mentioned and decided to leave it for the time being. I thought it added to a kind of floppy, quarter note feel that tightens up as the song goes on. But the feedback is helpful. I've heard the song a few too many times and need to regain perspective. I might listen to it again in a week or two and have one of those "what was I thinking?" moments.

I'll be retracking the vocal soon, maybe tonight. There will definitely be some harmony added in the chorus and elsewhere. I probably won't double track the lead. A better singer will eventually redo the whole vocal and do it better than I can.

Thanks
    New mix in the OP. There's a new vocal take and some scratch harmonies. Cleaned out some volume spikes and brought up the overall mix level--still no mastering.
    Last edited by Robus; 08-13-2018 at 00:31.

Thanks
    Sounds great, Robus. I actually like the loose timing on the intro acoustics. They sound great throughout, actually.

Bassline is cool, too. Nice subtle delay on the leads. And you're right about electric rhythms, it doesn't need any.

Trying to find nits but really couldn't, this one's got a nice feel to it. Drums sound great, nice work on that.

What mic did you use on the acoustics?
    Pro Tools 12.7 - Superior Drummer 2.0 - Sound Forge Pro 10

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyAmato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Johnny. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. There may still be some lyrics changes coming along, but meanwhile I think it's ready for the drum queue. I may push it up ahead of some other things in the queue.

The acoustic guitar I used was my Taylor 414. It's got that typical stringy Taylor sound that cuts through a mix nicely without getting boomy. I have a stereo pair of Rode M5 small diaphragm condenser mics that I used to record. But I didn't actually mix the output of those mic in stereo. I used the two mic tracks to adjust the balance between string and body, then panned them together and treated them as a single acoustic track. Then I did the same thing again, not so much doubling the first part but just finding something that compliments it, emphasizing different parts of the beat. Finally I panned the two parts opposite to get a king of ping-pong sound going.

Here's a clip of the acoustics soloed. Nothing special about the tone (nor my playing certainly) but hey, the name of the game is "in tune, in time, and serve the song."

Allons Y_Ray Taylor_Mix 18_Acoustic guitars sample.mp3 - Google Drive
    Last edited by Robus; 08-13-2018 at 10:34.

Thanks
    New mix in the OP. I retracked and edited the harmony vox and some parts of the lead vocal. Should be tighter. I changed the reverb from Ambiance to the Waves Abbey Road Plate, which I just bought and wanted to try out. How does the ambiance sound on the vocals and acoustic guitars?

Thanks
    I like the chord progression and melody. Seems like alot of verb in general. I have the Abbey road plate as well very nice verb, i think it sounds better on the vocal then the guitars. The snare sound is getting dulled pretty heavily by the verb or compression. I think the arrangement is good and keeps the song interesting and moving/changing. Im curious what set you're using in Addictive? Do you have the retro kits by chance? I love the blue oyster kit...I think when this is fleshed out a bit it will sound excellent-the song is there it just sounds pretty sparse and verbed to me at the moment. Looking forward to hearing this when you've got the mix up to your usual standards. Great tune!
    "Hey man, am I drivin ok?" "You're stopped man"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stratomaster For This Useful Post:

Thread Information