Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xeries 1 - A love song

Thanks

Xeries 1 - A love song

Sign in to disable this ad
    Xeries 1 is a love song by Wig Nelson and J. Stephen Foster

http://www.bonxo.com/song/getsong/Xeries_1_2271/

Thanks
    well...i would suggest trying to introduce some real percussion over the computer drums ....also bring up the rythm and give it more edge....basically get whats real more to the fore and give the whole thing a more human touch.

Thanks
    When you can - use real instruments of course but at present this sounds pretty nice.
    Some more definition to the bass would be good.
    I'd also pull the snare and cymbals back a little as they stick out from the mix at present.
    The flute's a bit too hot in a couple of spots - can you either automate the faders or compress it to keep it in control?
    A couple of the lead guitar notes at the end of a phrase or two seem a little hesitant & might benefit from some certainty or melodic resolution.
    Vocal delivery has a cool proggy feel to it.
    Good work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zazz View Post
    well...i would suggest trying to introduce some real percussion over the computer drums ....also bring up the rythm and give it more edge....basically get whats real more to the fore and give the whole thing a more human touch.
    Thanks for the suggestion, zazz, the drums need to be toned down some and I will probably rework the arrangement when I get some time. I agree that the rhythm needs to come up also. I've been having trouble automating and mixing because of a weak computer that keeps dropping out the program. I can't even play this file at the present time. I can only tweak individual tracks and export the audio as a wav file. If I try to just play it, it drops out, so mixing is a chore.

Real instruments, yeah, that's the ticket. I don't use real drums on this one and the bass is a patch, too from my Roland. Everything else, recorder, classical guitar, flute, electric guitar are real.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayc View Post
    When you can - use real instruments of course but at present this sounds pretty nice.
    Some more definition to the bass would be good.
    I'd also pull the snare and cymbals back a little as they stick out from the mix at present.
    The flute's a bit too hot in a couple of spots - can you either automate the faders or compress it to keep it in control?
    A couple of the lead guitar notes at the end of a phrase or two seem a little hesitant & might benefit from some certainty or melodic resolution.
    Vocal delivery has a cool proggy feel to it.
    Good work.
    I tried to ride the fader with some automation for the flute, and my computer couldn't handle it. I'm sure plugging in a compressor is out of the question at this point. Sad, but a new computer is in the works.

I plan to tone down the cymbals and snare as you suggest. I'm sure that Stephen will send me another track of the lead guitar that I can use to taste, that will help.
    I'm glad you like the sound of this piece. What does a proggy feel to the vocals mean?

Thanks
    What about a VST compressor like blockfish - it's free? Can your prog handle VSTs?
    What program are you using & what computer? There might be ways around it.
    Proggy voice - a voice not unlike that in many progressive rock bands of the late 60's early 70's - a little aloof, otherworldy, impressive etc.

Thanks
    The drums are a bit loud on the intro - but are perfectly fine during the rest of the song. Not much I can say - I like the mix overall on this piece...

Thanks
    I cant get it to play. Maybe the site is messed up, Ive tried several times. Pushed the big play button.

Thanks
    Wonderful tone to your voice...

I realized just how much I miss flute as a solo instrument. RayC uses one, but not enough...

What if you dueled it with a wailing guitar solo...? I think it would give the song a delectable bite...

Thanks
    rayc, I'm getting a new computer this week. A dual core quad with 3 gigs of RAM at 800Mhz. That should cook some of these issues. I will revisit this song in its entirety then. Tighten up the rhythm git to match the hat exactly. This is kind of a drawing board kind of thing. But I'm liking the flute and the strat trade off thing. The lead player is going to give me another track to comp with the original, which should be fun.

Thanks, ido, I'll address that drums issue. i'll keep the mix basically the same except for some hot spots on the flute and recorder.

Sorry it won't play for you, David. Be glad to email it to you. Bonxo is a pain. I didn't want to put it on Soundclick until the next generation.

Thanks, true-eurt, Glad you like the flute even though I overplay a bit on the drawing board. Yeah, a wailing git with some call and answer is just what the doctor ordered. You bet I'll be moving in that direction.

Thread Information