Wrote a song and recorded it in a day

BJW

well, more like 2 days. See what you think.

It's called "All To You" - find it here: http://www.feelslikefridaymusic.com/music.htm or here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/feelslikefridaymusic.htm. Its at the top of both pages.

Recording here is the same as always for me:
Vocals: Studio Projects C1 -> Presonus Firepod (used for pre's on all tracks)
Acoustic Guitar: Takamine FD-360sc -> pair of MXL 603s's -> Firepod
Electric Guitar: SRV Custom Strat -> original POD -> Firepod
Bass: Yamaha Bass -> Firepod
Drums: Loops from Drums on Demand (Vol. 1)

I use Cubase SX 2 and I monitor with Event PS-5's in an absolutely terrible room, which probably kills me the most.

Thanks for listening!

Nice acoustic guitar tones - a little bright and hot in the mix, though. Electric part plays nicely against the acoustic, but I wouldn't mind hearing a bit of delay for some more sonic texture. Vocal is recorded well, but there's some pitch problems, particularly in the chorus on the words "..to you". Some harmonies would give the chorus more weight, but it's a decent hook.

Not bad for a day at the office :-)

Hey thanks, DC

Yeah, I definately know what you're talking about with the pitch problems - last chorus especially - my voice does the "waver" in and out of tune thing.

I like the acoustic tones, too - my best acoustic sound yet. I think they need to be turned down in the choruses, though - let the electric guitars take more of the forefront.

Thanks again for listening!

Brian,

Some cool tones there.

I like the vocal tone and the electrics.

The bass might be a little lacking for me, and be careful not to use the same drum loop too many times (use some variation).. as it makes it easy to know its a loop.

Is most of your stuff praise and worship?

I play in a Christian band myself... http://www.justwilliammusic.com

Velvet Elvis

Hey thanks, Elvis,

The bass is pretty lacking in all my songs. I don't have a very good bass tone, and I'm certainly not a bass player - so all the bass lines are below average from a player's standpoint.

Not all my stuff is praise and worship - in fact, the majority is not. Not all my stuff is religious in theme - I'd say 30/70 religious to other themes. I'm trying to write more praise stuff, though - its fun, and praise songs being what they are (very repetitive) its easier to write , for me at least. All you really need is a hook and a verse and you've got it. Of course there needs to be some inspired lyrics.

I'm going to check out your stuff.

wow, i love that guitar line. You have a great voice :eek: some of the best ive heard here on this site. You did a great job with those drum loops, drums on demand are good. A cubase man eh? nice. I think its a great song, and you dont need too much base i like the acoustic feel it has.

D-ragonS5 said:
wow, i love that guitar line. You have a great voice :eek: some of the best ive heard here on this site. You did a great job with those drum loops, drums on demand are good. A cubase man eh? nice. I think its a great song, and you dont need too much base i like the acoustic feel it has.

Wow, thanks for the compliments. I really like Drums on Demand, too. Problem is, a lot of my songs are in the same tempo range, and I'm running out of "song folders" in drums on demand - I've only got Vol. 1. I need to get Vol. 2. Better yet, I need to find a drummer. . . . .and a lead guitar player. . . .and a bass player. . . .then we'd be a band - wouldn't that be neat. Then I'd have to buy another mic or two to record drums. The never-ending money pit goes on and on. . . .

well you could always just do a few of the songs in the same temps three part acoustic. write three parts and then mix them together.

1. lead melody
2. chord melody
3. harmony

I think with some work on your pitch, some real drums, and some more innovation lyrically (I do a different style of music so maybe I we think about lyrics differently) you could do the pro thing... sounds really good and your voice is naturally pleasing. Mixwise, it's hard to improve without real drums and a real amp but I'd say the levels are pretty good. Go make it happen for yourself.

a lot of bass drum snare a lot lower along w/ HH. Electric sounds like it's direct to effects to input. Vocals too low in the mix, IMO.

Strave said:
I think with some work on your pitch, some real drums, and some more innovation lyrically (I do a different style of music so maybe I we think about lyrics differently) you could do the pro thing... sounds really good and your voice is naturally pleasing. Mixwise, it's hard to improve without real drums and a real amp but I'd say the levels are pretty good. Go make it happen for yourself.

Thanks, Strave,

That's a real compliment! I've thought a lot about the pro thing lately - even talked to a local guy in the music industry about it. I think I'm destined to become a dentist, though, haha. I can't shake my desire to work in the health care field - so I'm going to persue dental school.

Now, I NEED to find a drummer around here. I'm getting tired of the loops, too. They sound good, but the songs just don't have that "groove" that a real person could give. About the amp - I think I might spring for a std. telecaster and a peavey delta blues. I think a tele sound with a nice tube amp with that 15" speaker would sound pretty cool with my stuff. My current electric set-up is my roommates SRV strat, but I'm getting married soon, so bye-bye to the use of the SRV whenever I want.

BJW said:
Thanks, Strave,

That's a real compliment! I've thought a lot about the pro thing lately - even talked to a local guy in the music industry about it. I think I'm destined to become a dentist, though, haha. I can't shake my desire to work in the health care field - so I'm going to persue dental school.

Now, I NEED to find a drummer around here. I'm getting tired of the loops, too. They sound good, but the songs just don't have that "groove" that a real person could give. About the amp - I think I might spring for a std. telecaster and a peavey delta blues. I think a tele sound with a nice tube amp with that 15" speaker would sound pretty cool with my stuff. My current electric set-up is my roommates SRV strat, but I'm getting married soon, so bye-bye to the use of the SRV whenever I want.

Let me just say that you have all your life to become a dentist... you've still got a good 4-5 years in which you can do what you want with music and such... live that out. At least in my opinion, it's worth it to live without regret and push back grad school a bit.

If you're open to peavey amps... I really like the XXX... it's a bit of money but you get quite a few settings (between 6 and 9, I have 9 on my xxl) and they all sound the way they should. Anyways, good luck with what you do and congratulations on the marriage.

Rudolph??

Hey man didn't that elf - (Herby?)in Rudolph wanna become a dentist?
Listen man, Strave is right, I am not going to sit here and tell you you're going to make it overnight or make it at all...but you know I can tell you this:

You are more likely to be sitting there drilling around in some dude's cavity infested mouth going " I shoulda tried the rock star thing out.."

than to be on a stage with some chick's panties caught in your headstock going..."man I regret not trying that dentist thing out.."

So do yourself a favor and try the music thing out and have no regrets even if you do end up drilling teeth for a living.

Seriously I listened to this new tune (I like it a lot)and I've heard some of your stuff before, you've got something going on and a ton more potential.
So give the music thing a chance....you owe it to all Herby dentist who wanna be rock stars...

shookiejones said:
Hey man didn't that elf - (Herby?)in Rudolph wanna become a dentist?
Listen man, Strave is right, I am not going to sit here and tell you you're going to make it overnight or make it at all...but you know I can tell you this:

You are more likely to be sitting there drilling around in some dude's cavity infested mouth going " I shoulda tried the rock star thing out.."

than to be on a stage with some chick's panties caught in your headstock going..."man I regret not trying that dentist thing out.."

So do yourself a favor and try the music thing out and have no regrets even if you do end up drilling teeth for a living.

Seriously I listened to this new tune (I like it a lot)and I've heard some of your stuff before, you've got something going on and a ton more potential.
So give the music thing a chance....you owe it to all Herby dentist who wanna be rock stars...

I got a laugh out of this post - and the point is well made. I haven't set it in stone what I'm persueing next. I'm really thinking of getting a press kit together - now if I only knew what the hell to put in it - and then where to send it.

I need to go write more songs - got a feeling a big hit might be in me. . . .

Back