Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wow. . . This girl has only been playing 1 year!

Thanks

Wow. . . This girl has only been playing 1 year!

Sign in to disable this ad
    I got to take a break from a full rock record I am working on and record a girl acoustic. She just came in with a guitar and herself and I set up a couple mics and we were on our way. She told me she had only been playing a year so I wasn't expecting too much. . . when all of the sudden I heard great playing coming out of this girl. The real suprise was her voice though, it is great. She is not too confident with it yet, but she still sounds great.

The song I am posting is her finger picking on the guitar and singing. It was tracked sepreately and I think it sounds really good. Mics used on acoustic were an MXL-603 on the 12th fret, and a SP B-1 off axis at the hole. Vocal mic was a Shure Unidyne 330 Ribbon. I think it sounds excellent. It is airy and smooth sounding to my ears. I put a little sonic maximizer on the recording after mixdown to help improve the stereo width. Most importantly there is ABSOLUTELY NO EQ on this mix.

Kristin is her name and she is really looking for some feedback on what you guys/girls think about her playing and her voice and her song. Please let us know.

www.elohsa.com/beezoboy/If.mp3

Beez

P.S. If you want to post comments on the mix thats okay too.
    My mic collection sucks now, but at least I have a girlfreind.

Thanks
    Nice guitar sound.. needs a little reverb, and the voice a little less IMHO.

That's all I can say, since I can only download the first 26 seconds of the song. Don't know if it's my fault/ my computer's fault but I guess it is. Anyone else getting troubles too?

Thanks
    Wow. . . you got it right as I was uploading it thats why. Try again and you'll get it all.

Thanks for quick reply though.

Beez

Smiling back at you. Disclaimer: If I've said anything to offend you..... get over it. :op
    Thanks
    Decent git sound. Way too much reverb on the vocal.

Not a bad voice... kinda Fleetwood Mac-ish. Not my cup of tea, but not bad.

WATYF

Phyl Guest
    Ditto on above comments - good sound on the acoustic, but way too much vocal reverb.

Nice song.

Thanks

Kirstin

You NEED to keep going with this singing and guitar playing stuff cause you are GOOD

Thanks
    very good. Nice presentation both picking and singing. A freq on the A string is resonating into the low end of the vocal a bit and they get big together occasionaly. Cuttin that verb a little on the high end and roll of the lows might clear that resonance up and keep the "sss'" down on the vocal for you.
    " Miwk Kowz "

K: securelock

Thanks
    Not bad, I like the guitar sound a lot.

Vox need less.....well the verb comments have already been made so...

There's a crackling sound I'm hearing, think it's the vocal track. Becomes really noticable to me around the 2:31 mark.

She's talented for someone that's only played for a year.

Needs some confidence in the vox department. Seems like she's holding back or smethig. Gotta let lose.

Nice song.

~scott

Thanks
    Hey thanks for the comments. I really thought the 'verb lends itself to these recordings. Are you guys listening on monitors?

I guess maybe I got a little carried away on the 'verb, but it just sounds sooo good with her voice and it is such a nice reverb that I had to. . .

Beez

Thanks

Talking Are you guys listening on monitors?

no monitors, but i bet 90% of the people who get a copy of this demo won't be either. The vocal sounds like its in a huge auditorium while the acoustic sounds like its in the same room with me. I would do as suggested above and cut some of the verb on the vocal and add a little to the acoustic.
    About the only acoustic fingerpicking i get into is when Opeth is doing the picking. So for what its worth I think shes off to a descent start for only playing a year.
    Keep the songs coming man. I got a new one i should be posting sometime this week.

Thread Information