Would Love Help With Mixing on My Instrumental

Hey Tre-jay, I think it's a cool track. Bear in mind that I'm not well versed enough in this gendre to give educated mixing advise.
But here goes...
I think that it's a little light on bottom end. The synth that starts it off is pretty loud and stays pretty loud throughout the tune. When I heard the synth start of at a high level I was thinking...."man, I better turn down the volume because it's really going to be loud when everything comes in. But it wasn't. The synth stayed loud and dominated the mix and everything else was in the background. I would suggest turning the level down on the synth at the start of the song. Then when the bass and drums kick in It will have more power. Try to EQ some more low end (80 to 100 hz) on the kick drum. Also,I suggest lowering the level of the sampled hi hat back. Then bring up the voices doing the chant. I think it will be shaping up nicely at that point and you can find tune it.

Hey Tre-jay, I think it's a cool track. Bear in mind that I'm not well versed enough in this gendre to give educated mixing advise.
But here goes...
I think that it's a little light on bottom end. The synth that starts it off is pretty loud and stays pretty loud throughout the tune. When I heard the synth start of at a high level I was thinking...."man, I better turn down the volume because it's really going to be loud when everything comes in. But it wasn't. The synth stayed loud and dominated the mix and everything else was in the background. I would suggest turning the level down on the synth at the start of the song. Then when the bass and drums kick in It will have more power. Try to EQ some more low end (80 to 100 hz) on the kick drum. Also,I suggest lowering the level of the sampled hi hat back. Then bring up the voices doing the chant. I think it will be shaping up nicely at that point and you can find tune it.

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback and will definitely be making adjustments. I agree with everything you said and I really appreciate the tips! Thanks for the listen as well

But here goes...

So with the synth part, are you saying I should lower it down at just the beginning and raise it back up when the drums hit? Or are you saying I should lower the synth throughout the whole track?

Thanks again for the help

I would experiment with it a little. If you Get a little more low end on the kick drum and bring the synth down a little I think it will be sounding pretty good.

Is that main synth meant to emulate a french horn? I don't know how excited I am about that tone. I personally prefer synths that sound very much like the instrument they're going for or don't try to sound like a real-world analogue.

Is that main synth meant to emulate a french horn? I don't know how excited I am about that tone. I personally prefer synths that sound very much like the instrument they're going for or don't try to sound like a real-world analogue.

No its actually a trumpet with a lot of effects on it lol. But I definitely see what you're saying

I thought it was interesting. Lot's going on. Cool stops and starts.

I agree that the low end is not strong enough. There is a kick, but it's not real deep or full. There is a synth holding down a bass note in spots. But I don't think it's quite enough.

THe biggest thing I'd point out is the snare sample. It's got a real hyped midrange and upper end. The mid 2Khz range is kind of tough on the ears.

I thought it was interesting. Lot's going on. Cool stops and starts.

I agree that the low end is not strong enough. There is a kick, but it's not real deep or full. There is a synth holding down a bass note in spots. But I don't think it's quite enough.

THe biggest thing I'd point out is the snare sample. It's got a real hyped midrange and upper end. The mid 2Khz range is kind of tough on the ears.

Thanks TripleM,I really appreciate the feedback and I definitely agree with you with the snare samples.

I agree mellow down the synth bring vocals up and i also agree needs some thickness on bottom end also not my genre as well i do country,blues,rock,even jazz fusion at times... ever think of putting in some really cool spaciously focused guitar licks in there?

I agree mellow down the synth bring vocals up and i also agree needs some thickness on bottom end also not my genre as well i do country,blues,rock,even jazz fusion at times... ever think of putting in some really cool spaciously focused guitar licks in there?

I appreciate it Kevin for the advice even though this isn't your genre. And I haven't thought of putting guitar licks in there but that sounds like an awesome idea that could work

Back