worth a listen?

Erland

worth a listen? Runaway Rosie

Hi. Here is a new song that I feel is the best I have written. It is about a girl I knew and quite simple at that.

It has taken me a four weeks to try and get the middle part with lyrics and music but finally I think I`ve cracked it! So i finished it up with a quick recording.

Its recorded in a friends big house on the coast of France and I was desparate for strings so I used her mums fiddle! Yup thats me.

I would really appreciate any comments and reviews on this one.

28. runaway rosie

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1375/album590

www.geocities.com/erlandcooper

Erland

Last edited:
erland the travelling troubadour!

i love it erland! it's hard not to listen to your music and just gush over it. the mix isn't even an issue cause the content is so incredible. may i request that you never go home? just keep travelling, singing, and recording and sharing it with us. it's better than anything i could ever buy at the record store.

wait, you said you were going to get together with macle when you got home right? i take that back, just go home long enough for macle to record some of your music. that would be incredible. your magic and his production skills would be like all the stars lining up at once.

edit.....it's unbelievable that you also know how to play the violin. not too shabby cooper.

thanks Eric.

Well I am home next Friday night. Spend a few days in London then back up to Scotland. What a trip its been!

Thats one beauty of a comment. I am really happy that you have been following me to 33. Thats really something so thanks.

Oh yeh, I asked Macle but everyone is so busy, its hard. I wrote a song for WATYF a few months back, it may have been a bit shabby too though.

Anyway, that violin was so cool to record. I cant play well AT ALL. I used to be forced as a kid (coming from the Isles in Scotland everyone plays the fiddle). It is fun to layer them up and I think I will try that better when I get home. Having strings is a real gem on acoustic music I think.

So thanks for the review Eric. This song is quite a special one to me.

Best
Erland

Ah hah! Finally! I have a criticizm.....I've been waiting for the moment to nit pick something from you.....

Strings. God man they are loud. They scared the sh*t outta me. :eek: We're you purposely cranking them for dynamics? I'd bring them down a bit so that I don't need to wear Depends the next time I listen. :D

Other than that this is another great tune from you. Love your voice and harmonies. Your voice is by far one of my favs in the world of music today.

The strings are a tasty touch. Full of creative suprises aren't you? lol

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

~scott

Before I even listen to it, I will offer to do the strings for you and reproduce faithfully what you intend in the first round of collaboration, if you wish.

Make a mix at better than 160kbps without the violin and I'll pop it in there.

Now I've got to download your newest gem.

erichenryus said:
may i request that you never go home? just keep travelling, singing, and recording and sharing it with us. it's better than anything i could ever buy at the record store.
ROFL !

Outstanding!

Sometimes it just needs to be plain and simple :)

Like the fiddle, but it's mixed a tad too high, otherwise your recording sounds nice to my ears.

Congrats on what is definitely one of the best songs I've heard you share here.

After listening, I think once you return to your home and have the instrument you are familiar with from childhood you will be able to do a fine job.

The instrument you were playing sounds like a good quality instrument.

The natural reverb on the tune was very nice.

It's very beatles. If I were to do anything for you on this song, I would like to add Cello in the intro.

If the intent was art... it was good.

If the intent was radio play you need to trim up the structure a bit. I counted 5 verses, 3 before the bridge Then a total of 3 bridges, 1 vocal version, 1 violin version, then another vocal version. Not exactly modern structure.

Try 2 verses, repeat tag line once then go to vocal bridge then into violin bridge followed by 3rd verse repeat tag line twice, fade out onto violin bridge (optional add vocal bridge again then violin fade out). It will shorten up the tune but will give you a radio structure.

Once again if its art you want to convey, you got there. Bkgrnd vocals are a little hot and need to go back farther in the mix (reverb). I would also double the main vocal in some spots. The violins were definitely in your face. Back those suckers off a bit.

The guitars were excellent, as was the vocalist. Very pleasing sounding.

just wanted to say this is a badass song man. i like it a lot. as for sound quality, i don't have much to say... sounds good to me. i agree with the others that the string parts can be backed off a bit. but otherwise really nice. i wouldn't mind buying a whole CD of your stuff.

Erland,

You have an absolutely fantastic VOX !!!!!
Among the best sounding voices I have heard on HR.com.

I find this tune to be absolutely FLAWLESS.
This is one of those rare songs that make me wonder why the artist is not a star.
Dropping 5.

Beautiful.

Sean

Although the compositions have always been and always will be your strongest point, the gradually increasing complexity of your arrangements has been a real joy for me to listen to them unfold.

Twist

Some of the note choices on the fiddle parts could be better. In particuliar, the staccato parts. The note transition could be cleaner. More of an arrangement issue, but easily fixable.

When the 'lead' fiddle breaks in it is a bit loud as others have pointed out already.

It's a very nice song. It is also very Beatlish, almost too much so. The ascending run you do now and again is identical to the one in 'Mother Natures Son'. There are other sections as well that are a bit close but I can't put my finger on what tune.

Not saying it's a ripoff. It's a great song, just thought I'd point it out.

Good Stuff Erland.

Heading North

Hi there. Thanks for the review Scott. I agree that the voilin is loud and the backing is too. But you know I am recording with a portable four track, a cheap mic and a pair of headphones. This means it is really quite hard to get it right! but most importantly it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to go back and change a mix. Everything is bouced to two tracks. For example, when putting that voilin on, I did two parts took a gamble mixxed them down to put on a third. You see, thats why I screw up the levels a lot because Its just guess work. but hey, no excuses, It just means I have to start from scratch again if I wnt to remix a song. Thankyou for listening man, you the man.

studioviols. Well wow. Thats a really nice offer. I am glad you liked it. I really am not good at the violin. I hold it wrong and learnt that way with my rist pressed against the fiddle as opposed to freed. I did this technique as a kid so I could cheat on vibrato before the other kids. Ha. Anyway I have an Idea. I just wrote another song which I know I am going to stick as number 33 to end the summer challenge. It would be amazing if I could record the acoustic and vocal and you put a string arrangment on it. I think it will sound real good. I would love to hear the cello and violin. What do you think?

Pinky. Man you always no what to say to make me smile. Thanks for listening. Yeh the song is really simple. I like it becasue the guitar is actually quite hard. Especially to get right from beguining to end. Well I am glad so thanks again.

Middleman. Hey great. Yeh its quite funny that becasue I actually had 9 verses to choose from and then started to get more and more focused. I understand what your saying, thats a good idea and real interesting. If I do another version I will think about that. As far as the violins, they were just put in very quickly with a first take on each. I liked the random inspiration of a fiddle just sitting on the chair waiting to be used. Unfortunanlty as I said to pinky once the song is mixed I cant change it. the backing is too loud for sure. Well thanks for listening. Cheers.

wfaraoni. hey man. now worries, Sorry, because I am uploading in internet cafes around France now or my mates house then I cant upload them all cos that would take years. When I get home I am going to post the whole challenge and also burn onto two cds. You want one just ask when I get home. Cool?

Orpheus. Well thats great. Thanks for listening. Yeh those srings were kindof an accident. When I get home I will post all 33 I hope and burn a cd. I will send you one too. Later.

smellyfuzz. Hey man, well thankyou so much for the listen. That a real nice thing to say. Cheers! If you have a second you could check out my simple challenge site, drop in and say "get to 33 man!" www.geocities.com/erlandcooper
there is also some pics of this awsome time in Spain! groovy. I`m the dude on the last pic in the hamoc and with stupid glasses.

twist. Thanks for listening. I really feel like I learn alot with each song. Is so fun and I look farward to getting it up on hear. Cheers Twist.

Emeric. Hi man. It really is great to have you check out my song. Thanks. I agree with the violin. It was all one take and I had no idea what I was doing. YOU can tell! As far as your comparisons to te Beatles, well Thats exactly right!

This is my wink to Paul Mccartney with Mother natures son. Also you will notice the "why cry" could quite easily be "why she (had to go)" Yup Yesterday! So well done Emeric. I hope its not considerd a rip off i was quite proud of that guitar picking. LOL. Thanks for that.

I have to get out, the women is giving me evil looks in here.

Erland

I think it is important that I collaborate with you by doing my best to provide a string arrangement for your 'Opus'. After we do violin and cello, I hope you will be able to find another song I can participate in also.

Your style and your 'Opus' for a lack of a better word ... lends itself to strings.

I am at your service.

I use cakewalk SONAR. I've got a lot of collabs in the works right now, so by the time you get around to me ... my chops will be sparkling, (even if it's just long lush tones), and my stable of instruments will be in excellent condition. I just put new strings on all of my instruments.

I love it when a song kinda smells like something else. Not a blatant ripoff, just 'hey, that sounds like....eh....eh......eh......' :)

Your music is so lovely it makes me wanna kiss my wife, and call my family and friends to tell them I love them. Hey, we should bomb the world with tapes containing your wonderful music. It would a better place. Man, your music makes me feel like a hippie! Consider that as a compliment! :)

Very nice fingerpickin'. Very nice singing. Strings are insanely loud! Had good fun listening to it.

Erland. I understand perfectly about recording limitations. :D Won't stop me from listening to your music though, it's just so damn good. You could be recording 1 mono track and the beauty would still shine through. My nit pick was more a joke than anything else lol. Ya know I love your music.

And correction........you da man! :p

lol

~scott

Orpheus. Well thats great. Thanks for listening. Yeh those srings were kindof an accident. When I get home I will post all 33 I hope and burn a cd. I will send you one too. Later.
you know i'm gonna take you up on that!... i played your song for my gf last night too, and she loved it also. we normally don't listen to this type of music, so that says something! sometimes the amateur music found here is so much better than all the overproduced stuff out there.

Back