World's Goin' Down" - acoustic/electric rocker

When you said ACOUSTIC rocker, I was thinking James Taylor. Wrong!:D

Sounds pretty good to me. I've heard the stuff on the other posts you made about the new album. Its a solid effort.

Solid groovy tune. The intro makes me think of Queens Tie Your Mother Down. Love the sound of the bassguitar. The mix builds perfect around it.

When you said ACOUSTIC rocker, I was thinking James Taylor. Wrong!:D

Sounds pretty good to me. I've heard the stuff on the other posts you made about the new album. Its a solid effort.

heheh!
yep, NOT a james taylor thing!!
but i dig JT, especially the really old stuff..

i spent almost a year putting this project together,
a lot of work, many experiments with arrangements, lots of tracking until i was happy with it.
glad you like it!

Dig it! Cool tune! Slide tone sounds great. Vocals are nice and clear. Acoustic's sound great! What are they and how are they recorded? Mic'd or DI? Good job all around on this one!

Dig it! Cool tune! Slide tone sounds great. Vocals are nice and clear. Acoustic's sound great! What are they and how are they recorded? Mic'd or DI? Good job all around on this one!

hey string!
the acoustics are Taylor 414, and Seagull artist mosiac.
simple shure ksm44 off the neck joint area, thru a nice pre and that's it

hey string!
the acoustics are Taylor 414, and Seagull artist mosiac.
simple shure ksm44 off the neck joint area, thru a nice pre and that's it
My wife has the Taylor Mini and I have a Seagull Original S6 and I love the way it sounds! You did a great job of capturing them!

A breath of fresh air this tune is:) Perfect first song of a summer day & drive with the top down music!

alright rock exotic! thanks so much for saying that,
it IS the kind of thing i was thinking of, when i wrote it...
that kind of free vibe...

i was actually in Jackson Wyoming, when i came up with this one. road trip.

Incredible work. Was this professionally mixed? Do you guys do music full time? There's something revealing about how a band as kickass and talented as you guys only have like 250 followers on SC, and mumble rappers with fake instruments and samples get millions of streams daily. Truly a different music age we live in today. Makes me wonder when real instruments and rock n' roll will be in vogue again.

Incredible work. Was this professionally mixed? Do you guys do music full time? There's something revealing about how a band as kickass and talented as you guys only have like 250 followers on SC, and mumble rappers with fake instruments and samples get millions of streams daily. Truly a different music age we live in today. Makes me wonder when real instruments and rock n' roll will be in vogue again.

hey stevie! thanks so much for the kind words....

you pack a LOT of things to consider in your post....

first off, i mix all of my own projects. can you call it professionally mixed? yea, i guess so, i know what i'm doing, even if i'm not in an expensive studio.

music full time?
not any more, but i spent 6 years of full time professional gigging all over the southeast. 6 nights a week, 52 weeks a year.

this new album, is my 4th full length album.
this is a solo act mostly, with a guest drummer on the album "Trouble".

i post music here, there, everywhere, very often,
and it is mostly ignored.

hey stevie! thanks so much for the kind words....

you pack a LOT of things to consider in your post....

first off, i mix all of my own projects. can you call it professionally mixed? yea, i guess so, i know what i'm doing, even if i'm not in an expensive studio.

music full time?
not any more, but i spent 6 years of full time professional gigging all over the southeast. 6 nights a week, 52 weeks a year.

this new album, is my 4th full length album.
this is a solo act mostly, with a guest drummer on the album "Trouble".

i post music here, there, everywhere, very often,
and it is mostly ignored.

6 years of nonstop professional gigging - wow! That's quite impressive. So you perform all the instruments AND play your own drums on these Bat's Brew records? Curious to know how you're recording your guitars. Are you using real gear or DI VST plugins? Do you use multiple mic placements for each take? How much bass do you usually EQ out to achieve those clean sounds without mud? I read about Bats Brew on Robbie Goble's article on The Musicopolis. Really great stuff. He was actually planning on writing an article on my full-length cover of Pink Floyd "Animals", but 2 years later, still nothing.

6 years of nonstop professional gigging - wow! That's quite impressive. So you perform all the instruments AND play your own drums on these Bat's Brew records? Curious to know how you're recording your guitars. Are you using real gear or DI VST plugins? Do you use multiple mic placements for each take? How much bass do you usually EQ out to achieve those clean sounds without mud? I read about Bats Brew on Robbie Goble's article on The Musicopolis. Really great stuff. He was actually planning on writing an article on my full-length cover of Pink Floyd "Animals", but 2 years later, still nothing.

hey stevie!

it was a lot of gigging, yes.
too much!
LOL

i do not play drums, wished i could...
i program drums from scratch using superior drummer 3.
i do everything else.
on the TROUBLE album, i had a guest drummer play all songs. he's a killer drummer. just killer.

recording guitars:
rig-full.jpg

everything is done old school.
guitars ino a 1982 mesa boogie mark IIb head, into various cabs with various speakers, favorite setup is the avatar cab with early 80's greenbacks.
sm57 mic, or sometimes a large condenser shure KSM44 close miced.
bass into a sansamp bass di, split into a A Designs Audio MP-1 tube mic pre, and direct out of the sansamp.

i only record in mono, so only ever use a single mic for guitars, and mult the two bass tracks to one mono track.

the key to good bass parts, is to get it to sound right going in.
do as little eq'ing as possible at first.
then, once everything is tracked, and final mixing is going, i simply carve out freqs that build up, and try not too boost too much, so it all stays fairly clean.

it's easier to do this on a song like World Goin down, because all the rhythm is acoustic guitar,
which is pretty light frequency wise. acoustics get high passed at 150hz, so it's clean below that.

robert goble wrote an excellent review of the "Trouble" album,
if you want to check it out, it's here:
https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/batsbrew12

Back