World On Fire - Alt. Rock Song

jonlint

Hi all,

Wrote and recorded this song over the last few days. Not 100% with all the vocals. Feedback most welcome on what I have so far:

World On Fire V2 by Jonathan Linton 4 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

LYRICS:

How can you win
When the world is on fire
When mankind expires
…Then everything that you desire
Won’t give you any gains
When nothing remains

What the hell are you trying to prove
Six thousand ways
To set the world ablaze
All it takes is the wrong chess move
Check mate
You can’t stop it
No undo
Button to hit

Exercise your ego
Shout! Battle cry
Watch the sun set
In the blood red sky…

How can you win
When mankind expires
Won’t give you any gains
When nothing remains

Leader of the free world
Kept afloat
By public vote
Why not try ‘n’ give peace a whirl
Cause world domination
Means your self-destruction

Show off your machismo
Shout! Battle cry
Watch the sun set
Before we all die

SOLO

How can you win
When mankind expires
Won’t give you any gains
When nothing remains

The big thing that's sticking out to me is that it's a very wet mix overall, especially the vocals. I might scale back the doubling and 'verb pretty substantially.

This song rocks! totally agree with VomitHatSteve though.... the vox are too wet for my liking.
You have a very good voice for this tune!

I don't mind a wet vocal mix but the quality of the reverb itself is a bit meh. Sounds like the reverb built into a karaoke machine and isn't flattering to what is otherwise an excellent mix and performance.

My issue is more with that the vocals don't cut enough through the mix. The drums need more attack on the compression, the snare tends to get lost. I like the wet vocals btw, kinda fits the tune

nice tune! I think it's good to go to the final stage (mastering). Don't post this out to the public without getting it masterd though. There have been too many a great DIY song ruined because the final mix ends up as the released version. There are definitely some mix problems here, but I think for an ME they would be relatively easy fixes.

Mix wise: The stereo image is a bit strange and hollow sounding. I ran a test and narrowing the stereo width helped focus the snare, and minimized the reverb sound. Some bass in the kick at 60hz is needed, and a little more is needed in the guitars as a group around 100hz. There is also an overall focus toward the midrange between 700-1.5khz, I'm thinking due to your monitoring set-up. Not a huge deal - and can definitely be taken care of in mastering. Oh There is also a blip at 0:41 in one of the toms.

Back