Work in progress. Help!!

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
The song is called Ann Marie and can be downloaded at:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/easylistening/dachay2tnr/

I'm mostly stuggling with the vocal. The song is in early stages, and it's my first attempt at a vocal. I'm not comfortable with it, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm listening to me (horrible experience), or if it's not sitting right, or what.

Feel free to comment on anything else, too. I'm in relatively early stages with this one, so I can make good use of the input.

TIA

Very touching and well written song!! I wouldn't frett about the vocal, it sounded perfect for the content. The delivery was solem and solid.
It might be just me but , I thought things were a bit crowded in the center of the mix. Maybe some more extreme pans on the gits.
Nice tune. Glad I downloaded it.

Peace,
Theron

Nice song, well done. For me, I could use more vocals, and maybe a little " Crisper" ( I think that means more high end).
Really enjoyed this one...

for a WIP, its coming along nicely.

It seems like you were right on top of the mic. I think that you should back off a few inches. The vocal also needs some articulation, which is in the 2.5-10k range, but more like 5k to 12 k in this case. some 16k will be good too.

The bass is a bit flabby. I think it needs some punchy compression. So does the kick.

The rest sounds good to me. I think you have a good voice. It is always painful listening to onesself.

Gentlemen, as always thanks for the input.

Interesting comments indeed. I had actually added low-mid eq to the vocal as I thought my voice sounded thin. That may have contributed to the lack of "crispness' (David) or "articulation" (Cyan). I probably shouldn't mix myself, as I have a tendency to try and "hide" the voice.

Theron - thanks very much for the kind words. It's a heartfelt song, and I'm glad it came through that way. And I did spread the "gits" as you suggested.

David - Surprised you could use more vocals :) . But I am removing the low-mid boost, and increasing the highs. We'll see...

Cyan - You are correct, I was on top of the mic. I was trying for a very "intimate" vocal - but I think I may have overdone it. I got some artifacts from the mic that I wasn't looking for. I'm also not thrilled with the bass sound. I'll try to punch it up as you suggest and see what we get.

Helpful as always. Thanks.

Back