Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Work in progress

Thanks

Work in progress

Sign in to disable this ad
    Alright, I've been afraid to do this, but its time to throw my hat in and see what people think. A friend and I have started working on a bunch of songs and recording them in the studio we built in his garage. Its been slow going, but now things are rolling. Each song will be in a different genre.

This is the first one:

http://www.monkeyworksinc.com/samples/hearyousing.mp3

It is stilll a work in progress. Trying to get a Steely Dan/Santana sound for this one. We are definately going to redo the vocal and try to get some horns in there. I just wanted opinions on the mix, what you think needs correcting or sounds odd. I welcome all opinions.

Phil

Thanks
    No one?...

I'll admit its not the catchiest tune, I just need ears to point out what could be better.

Thanks
    Hi Phil,

My comments after a quick listen through my pc speakers (perhaps not the best ones to make decisions on), here's my first impressions:

- I find my attention got carried away by the percussion part (tam tam, conga's or whatever you're using). I'd mute this part during verses, or have it play a less "busy" part, as already drums and rhythm guitar have a rather quick and busy part. I hope my explanation makes sense to you.

- the bass solo needs to be brought out more. My subconscience was actually expecting a Santana-like guitar solo, but I like the bass thing. Only: it needs to be upfront during the solo, perhaps also a bit more EQ'ing here, or perhaps run it through a guitar amp for a special tone (if you're into experimenting - to make it sound a bit more like a baritone guitar solo), or perhaps add one very short delay to it (like 70 ms, no feedback) and see what that does.

- the song asks for a few fills here and there, especially during the "whoo's" and "ye-eah's". I'd use another guitar (bluesy or Santana-sounding) to do this. Or horns could also do the trick. Or perhaps a combination of both.

- the lead vox could be reinforced with backing vocals during the ooh's and yeah's (2nd & third, even fourth voice in harmony).

- ending: on the very last chord the instruments don't hit the note/chord/drums at the same time, there's a slight "un-sync". Here it depends on your set-up: with digital you could fix this, I wouldn't redo a track just for this. With analog, you could delay a signal a few ms, and record it to a different track until it has the right feel.

Voila. That's what I'd do when placed in the producer's seat. Overall, I like the sound of the drums, I think the song's nicely done so far soundwise.
    Good luck with the rest of the project!

Greetz,
    The Niz
    The Difficult we do immediately

The Impossible may take a little longer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Niz
    Hi Phil,

My comments after a quick listen through my pc speakers (perhaps not the best ones to make decisions on), here's my first impressions:

- I find my attention got carried away by the percussion part (tam tam, conga's or whatever you're using). I'd mute this part during verses, or have it play a less "busy" part, as already drums and rhythm guitar have a rather quick and busy part. I hope my explanation makes sense to you.

- the bass solo needs to be brought out more. My subconscience was actually expecting a Santana-like guitar solo, but I like the bass thing. Only: it needs to be upfront during the solo, perhaps also a bit more EQ'ing here, or perhaps run it through a guitar amp for a special tone (if you're into experimenting - to make it sound a bit more like a baritone guitar solo), or perhaps add one very short delay to it (like 70 ms, no feedback) and see what that does.

- the song asks for a few fills here and there, especially during the "whoo's" and "ye-eah's". I'd use another guitar (bluesy or Santana-sounding) to do this. Or horns could also do the trick. Or perhaps a combination of both.

- the lead vox could be reinforced with backing vocals during the ooh's and yeah's (2nd & third, even fourth voice in harmony).

- ending: on the very last chord the instruments don't hit the note/chord/drums at the same time, there's a slight "un-sync". Here it depends on your set-up: with digital you could fix this, I wouldn't redo a track just for this. With analog, you could delay a signal a few ms, and record it to a different track until it has the right feel.

Voila. That's what I'd do when placed in the producer's seat. Overall, I like the sound of the drums, I think the song's nicely done so far soundwise.
    Good luck with the rest of the project!

Greetz,
    The Niz
    Thanks! Good ideas!

There is supposed to be a guitar solo. We just haven't added it in yet. I had the same idea about the bongos, but guitarist wanted it in there. Now I have another opinion. Good!

It still needs cleanup.

Thanks again!

Phil

Thanks
    How'd you record this, those drums sound really good!

Ben
    http://www.emergencyexitmusic.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emergencyexit

Ben
    I'll second that!
    True Creation Comes Of Nothingness
    -Winner Mix Contest 8-
    -Winner Mix Contest 11-

Thanks
    the only thing that really sticks out to me is the bass.
    sounds..... maybe cut some of those mids? just kinda synthey.
    maybe cut some of the reverb back a little, the individual instruments are fairly in your face, but just behind that is a kind of cluttered reverb thing.
    maybe same amount, and shorter tales? not sure.

i know i say this about like every vocal ever, but a little sibilant.

there seems to be a lot going in in the 2-5K area. maby to much, but that's just me.

sounds good.
    audio?
    seriously, give me negative rep.

Thanks
    Awesome. It's been a long while since I've been in the post forum, but quick honest thoughts from me. It has an up-to-date '70s feel. Lava lamp makes this one truly felt. Nice work, excellent mood, didn't concentrate as much on mixing/production because there are several more qualified than myself to do so, but I am qualified on the final feel of the song and it is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    I do this for a living and I wouldn't choose to use a POS over any of my other 14 guitars

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emergencyexit

Ben

Drums are Tama Rockstar. Cymbals are Paiste. I run all the mics through a Ramsa mixer. I compress the kick and snare about 2:1. No muffling except for a small shop towel taped to the bass drum shell and the head.

The overhead mics were MXL V63s. The toms and snare mics are GLS audio ES-57s. The kick mic is a Superlux FK-2 and I added a subkick speaker mic in at about 1/6 the level. I used a Nady CM90 on the hi-hat. There is no EQ on any drum mics except the kick, which is boosted at 4k for the attack. I probably will start micing the bottom head of the snare. I need more 'snap'.

The room is fairly dead. Carpet on the walls for that 70s sound.

The vocal mic is my homebuilt Ela M 250. It has a 3 micron diaphragm from 797, which may explain why it is so sibilant. I should probably put in a 6 micron, which would be closer to the 9 micron of a CK12 capsule. Ah, hell, I should probably shell out for a Peluso capsule.

The bass is run through a Korg bass amp modeler. I don't remember the model offhand. That may explain the midrangy bass.

A friend said he'd like to hear the clean guitar be a bit more 'papery'. Anyone agree with that?

Thanks
    Plug-ins or outboard gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    I do this for a living and I wouldn't choose to use a POS over any of my other 14 guitars

Thread Information