wobbly mp3

robjh22

Been a busy 24 hours. Got promoted to junio from Newbie, actually got my stupid Fostex to create a Cd (of 1, 6-track song)
after 3 weeks of fighting it, found a free wav - mp3 software site, downloaded same, and ripped the cd to mp3 format.

It don't work.

Oh, it ripped it alright, but the playback is jerky, spotty, and halting. I hear occasional echoes in it too (not from the reverb, it's something else). Is it possible it's just my own player that's messed up (quick time)? I admit I SOMETIMES have similar problems playing mp3's that I download from other sites, though it usually is jeky the first couple times I listen, and then when I start it for the 4th time, it seems okay, like it was not fully loaded when I played it at first. Does anyone recognize this problem?

The only time I've ever had this type of problem is was always memory or resource related.How much RAM do you have and how many programs do you have running in your taskbar?

I only load a firewall and the clock in my taskbar.You can always manually start a program.Virus Scanning programs are bad about using up too much system resources and causing bad stuff to happen to audio playback.When you rip an mp3 you need to make sure nothing is running in the background also.Running programs can and will cause glitches in your audio files.

You can always press the ctrl/alt/del keys to find out exactly what processes are currently running on your puter.Check out this link to see what processes you do/dont need. http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

If this isnt the problem,just disregard this message.LMAO

Thanks, Kramer

I'll follow your suggestions, I know they're good. I only have 32 megs of RAM. I actually thought that that was a lot for the applications I was using, but my recording for dummies book suggests 125 or even 250 megs wouldn't be bad. I don't know if my computer slots will even accomodate that, but I'll check.

Disregard my last post -- I have 319 (three hundred nineteen) megs of RAM, not "32.0." Surely that is enough.

robjh22 said:
Disregard my last post -- I have 319 (three hundred nineteen) megs of RAM, not "32.0." Surely that is enough.

First time I've ever heard of a computer having 319 megs of RAM.LOL.I have 256 and thats still not quite enough for audio production on MY computer.

32 megs of RAM wont even get your desktop loaded.LOL.

What Operating System are you running on your puter?

Back