Thread: Wish You Were Here Cover (Pink Floyd)

Thanks

Arrow Wish You Were Here Cover (Pink Floyd)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi guys,

Just finished recording and mixing Wish You Were Here over the weekend. Would love to hear what you think of the recording and the mix

Some info on the recording:

Guitar is a Martin DX1 recorded using StudioProjects B1 through a Toneport UX2.
    Vocals are recorded the same way.
    Bass is DI into Toneport UX2.
    Drums are done using dfhSuperior.
    Piano is a piano VST.
    All mixed in Cubase SX3.

song can be found at my soundclick:

http://www.soundclick.com/tommysounds

Should be the latest song added.

Thanks to all who listen and critique

Tom.

Thanks
    Very nice cover! I like it a lot. Nice room on the guitar. There is one thing that sounds a little strange about the vocals, it sound like you have used a de-esser too hard in some places, it sound like you're lisping.

Ive got to say that the drums sounds really good, didn't know dfhs could sound like this. overall a great job!

Thanks
    Nice cover. It may have been better if you swapped the kick sound with your "ONE" cover, it may have improved both tunes.
    -Fishmed

Thanks
    It sounds good, but I second the idea of changing the kick sample. It doesn't really fit the song.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erik_ande_85 View Post
    Very nice cover! I like it a lot. Nice room on the guitar. There is one thing that sounds a little strange about the vocals, it sound like you have used a de-esser too hard in some places, it sound like you're lisping.
    I agree with the vocals comment, but well done, it's a nice mix all round. Martins just plain rock!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gummblefish
    Went out yesterday all day long and spent 125 quid on a bender (not literally a bender )

Thanks
    I heard pretty much the same as the others on the vocals. To much de-essing. Might even raise them in the mix a little and add a little EQ to help with the bottom end. Vocals sound a bit thin. Maybe back off on the verb too a little.

To me, the intro guitar sounded like it had to much pick attack. But, that may be just me.

As the same as mentioned before, the kick needs to lose the boom and get tighter. That may be enough by itself or you may have to bring it down a little in the mix too.

Overall, really nice. I may be getting too nit picky I've getting into Floyd alot lately and have listened to this song at least a dozen times in the last week

Thanks
    A bit of noise in the intro... the playing is real good... I like the sound of the lead coming... agree that the vox don't fit perfect here... I especially like the piano in there, sticks out just enough to give it a nice touch. The last verse sounds good, good emotion there and good job throughout

Thanks
    Thanks for all your replies guys, very helpful indeed. I found the vocals hardest to mix out of all the elements of the song, in fact I'm pretty happy with the general instrumental mix. I will experiment with maybe replacing the kick using something like aptrigga or drumagog. I like it to cut through but maybe it is a bit too full on.

Going back to the vocals, I think the hardest part I found was getting them to sit nicely. I did two seperate takes of the vocal and I have the second take sitting about 7dB lower than the main one and with more widening. Sometimes I feel it sounds too much like a seperate voice, other times it gives the fullness I am looking for. I tried to use reverb to help it sit a little better but as someone noted, it is a little overpowering. I have very little experience of de-essing and if truth be told, it was thrown onto the vocals more because I believed it was standard rather than I knew what it was doing and how I was using it.

Does anybody have any suggestions on vocal mixing techniques I could use to maybe re-do the vocals are help them sit better in the mix? What about signal chains you guys use for vocal mixing? I've generally using a chain of inserts on the track something like:-

analog sim (i.e. psp vintagewarmer) -
    compressor -
    de-esser -
    eq -
    tape saturation

and then a blend of vocal plate and room verb from fx channel sends.
    The same chain is used on the lower volume vocal, only with a widening to spread the vocals a little.

Would you do this any different? Maybe you have some advice on how you would eq or compress vocals of this kind?

All of your input has been very valuable thus far.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schismatic View Post

Would you do this any different? Maybe you have some advice on how you would eq or compress vocals of this kind?
    I just use mild compression most of the time, with maybe a dash of verb. i try not to EQ unless it's really necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gummblefish
    Went out yesterday all day long and spent 125 quid on a bender (not literally a bender )

Thanks
    In an attempt to take your comments on board, I did a fresh mix of the tune guys.

It is Wish You Were Here (Mix 2) and can be found at http://www.soundclick.com/tommysounds

I would be interested to see if you think there is any improvement in the mix, particularly in the areas highlighted previously.

Thread Information