Will Ya Give My Song A Critical Listen?

I like the drum sounds. The acoustic could be a bit louder. Not much but a little bit. I dig this song. I like the vocals. There's some good harmonies. Oh, a christian song. No problem :D I don't usually pay attention to lyrics on the first listen anyway. Ah, lovely guitar playing at about 3:10. Minimalistic, but good. I get a certain 70's feel from the chorus. Good song. I haven't heard much crap on the clinic anyway nowadays. Maybe I'm beginning to broaden my musical tastes, or you guys here are just damn good :D

CrankyOne said:
I like the drum sounds. The acoustic could be a bit louder. Not much but a little bit. I dig this song. I like the vocals. There's some good harmonies. Oh, a christian song. No problem :D I don't usually pay attention to lyrics on the first listen anyway. Ah, lovely guitar playing at about 3:10. Minimalistic, but good. I get a certain 70's feel from the chorus. Good song. I haven't heard much crap on the clinic anyway nowadays. Maybe I'm beginning to broaden my musical tastes, or you guys here are just damn good :D
With this one, I think you're just broadening your musical tastes! ;) My stuff is really pale compared to the other stuff I've heard here.

Yes, thats it, America like ! I took another listen cause I really like it, how about posting the lyrics for me brother. I cant quite getthem, bad ears not your recording.

Thanks
Peace
Bill

wfaraoni said:
Yes, thats it, America like ! I took another listen cause I really like it, how about posting the lyrics for me brother. I cant quite getthem, bad ears not your recording.

Thanks
Peace
Bill
Sure thing! Here ya go...
If you could see inside my soul....What filthy rags you'd seee
You'd see a different man...than you think I am

My smile's a mere facade....that hides what I've become
The laughing stock of the earth...A hypocrite of no worth

And it's catching up to me...Yes it's catching up to me

Chorus:
Don't let it run me down...Don't let it run me down
Don't let it run me down...For I fear the worst

What you see is not what you get....You're better off long gone
I wouldn't believe what you'd say....anyway

I appear to be upright...I'll tell you I'm doing fine
But if you only knew...You would turn away

And it's catching up to me...Yes it's catching up to me

--Chorus--

Should I go on that grace abounds?
Surely not to that you've died
Is there mercy despite my sin?
That's why Jesus was sacrificed
How can God love such a wretched man?
He sees you through His son's eyes
I'm so sorry that I've let Him down
Jesus already paid your price
He paid your price...

Chorus Chorus

real clean recording. You have a real nice singing voice.

I noticed a couple of things with the dynamics. The acoustic guitar is a bit quiet. The song starts with it, and the whole thing seems a bit too "small." Then when the drums kick in during the chorus things are MUCH louder. The gap from quietest to loudest is a bit too drastic (people will be reaching for the volume knob). Perhaps bring the acoustic up and (at least) the snare down? Or maybe some compression on the drums. Just ideas.

On the bass, I can't quite figure out why it's sounding that way. You say it's a Rick and you're micing with an SM58. The rest of the recording seems ok. The only thing I can think of is your bass amp... What kind is it, and did it sound like that when you tracked it? A fuller and warmer tone on it would help the song.

trip...

TripleM said:
real clean recording. You have a real nice singing voice.

I noticed a couple of things with the dynamics. The acoustic guitar is a bit quiet. The song starts with it, and the whole thing seems a bit too "small." Then when the drums kick in during the chorus things are MUCH louder. The gap from quietest to loudest is a bit too drastic (people will be reaching for the volume knob). Perhaps bring the acoustic up and (at least) the snare down? Or maybe some compression on the drums. Just ideas.

On the bass, I can't quite figure out why it's sounding that way. You say it's a Rick and you're micing with an SM58. The rest of the recording seems ok. The only thing I can think of is your bass amp... What kind is it, and did it sound like that when you tracked it? A fuller and warmer tone on it would help the song.

trip...
I think you're right about the dynamics. I thought that too, but was too lazy to redo everything! I'm using a Korg D8, so once the drums are recorded, that's pretty much it unless I redo the entire track. I will reference this for my future recordings.
My bass amp isn't a bass amp at all. It's a Mesa Boogie Mark III combo. I unplugged the speaker and ran it into a bass cab and recorded it that way. And that could very well be the reason it sounds so crappy. I'm thinking about trading the Rick for another more versatile bass. I love the sound of a Rick, but i don't think it fits all applications.

Sydfan said:
I'm thinking about trading the Rick for another more versatile bass. I love the sound of a Rick, but i don't think it fits all applications.

I'd say think about it for a while before you do anything. Rick's are great instruments. Is it possible to record the bass direct? Might sound nice that way.

TripleM said:
I'd say think about it for a while before you do anything. Rick's are great instruments. Is it possible to record the bass direct? Might sound nice that way.
I'll give that a shot next time around. Should I put it through anything before the board?

Globally: good song, good sound, good work.

Bass: I really like the sound of the bass. What kind of bass is it? I want one.

Drums: really good sound.

Levels: I think the bass and drums are too loud in relation to both the vocals and the guitar. TripleM mentioned that the rhythm guitar gets buried in the mix and that's true.

Song: when the melody goes way up high and falsetto when you sing about 'sacrifice' and 'paid your price', it sounds weak to my ears. Two things to try out, and the first one's easier to do without re-recording: add more voices to that line, maybe some falsetto, maybe some lower harmonies. Give that line some punch, some balls - after all, that's what sacrifice takes, right? The second thing you could do is re-record it, and sing that line without the falsetto. If you wanted to highlight it, you could add a harmony to it.

Vocals: They sound kind of diffuse. I want them more focussed, more upfront. Levels, of course, but what about panning? Giving them their own space in the stereo field?

dobro said:
Globally: good song, good sound, good work.

Bass: I really like the sound of the bass. What kind of bass is it? I want one.
That is a Rickenbacker 4001. You're the first guy to like it!

Drums: really good sound.

Levels: I think the bass and drums are too loud in relation to both the vocals and the guitar. TripleM mentioned that the rhythm guitar gets buried in the mix and that's true.

Song: when the melody goes way up high and falsetto when you sing about 'sacrifice' and 'paid your price', it sounds weak to my ears. Two things to try out, and the first one's easier to do without re-recording: add more voices to that line, maybe some falsetto, maybe some lower harmonies. Give that line some punch, some balls - after all, that's what sacrifice takes, right? The second thing you could do is re-record it, and sing that line without the falsetto. If you wanted to highlight it, you could add a harmony to it.

Vocals: They sound kind of diffuse. I want them more focussed, more upfront. Levels, of course, but what about panning? Giving them their own space in the stereo field? [/B][/QUOTE] Thanks for listening. I wanted some weakness in this tune, to show dependance on God. But I have had a lot of people say that they expected to hear a little something more, so I think I should reconsider....People have also told me the same thing about the vocals being more upfront and centered. I've got a lot to learn. Thanks for the input!!

I used to have a Rick and they are great basses BUT..... they are very particular as to the strings you use on them. More so than other basses, every different type of string results in dramatically different sounds. So one thing you can try is research some other strings. However, no matter what it's always gonna sound like a Rick.

The song's very, very nice man. It does sound like America some and, to me, even more like early Todd Rundgren.
Welcome to the board....you'll definitely learn a lot here and maybe even make some friends.

Just don't poke the Bear. :D

Lt. Bob said:
Welcome to the board....you'll definitely learn a lot here and maybe even make some friends. [/B]
Thanks Lt.! I've really learned a lot already. I've been overwhelmed by the professional quality of the stuff that's posted here.

Back